It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rusty 4 day old KK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I don’t know if i have too high of expectations or if I don’t have the experience with new cars but I was wondering if anyone else thinks that this looks like a lot of rust for a Jeep I purchased brand new 4 days ago. I traded a 06 Wrangler with 115k miles on it and it had less rust then my new KK and my '07 F-150 that I turned in at the end of its 3 year lease having never washed it had zero rust on the underbody. At this point I have real concerns as to if this new Jeep will last 5 years with how fast it is rusting... again tell me if you think this is "normal" and that I am over reacting... but I dont like the idea of my "new" Jeep rusting already.

http://www.photoshop.com/index.html?use ... ngid=BTAGC

Post subject: Re: Rusty 4 day old KK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:49 pm 
LOST Member

Yike's!! In a lot of those photos, looks like a little more than just surface rust, look's like corrosion starting. My 06 Lib which I bought new has 65k miles doesn't look half as bad. I do live in the desert, don't get much rain, very dry climate, but you may have a serious issue with your "new" Jeep. Personally if it were me, I'd go to another dealer or information source, call Daimler Chrysler Cust. Service and/or make the Dealer buy it back for another maybe at another location.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:52 pm 
LOST Member

dday88 wrote:
I don’t know if i have too high of expectations or if I don’t have the experience with new cars but I was wondering if anyone else thinks that this looks like a lot of rust for a Jeep I purchased brand new 4 days ago. I traded a 06 Wrangler with 115k miles on it and it had less rust then my new KK and my '07 F-150 that I turned in at the end of its 3 year lease having never washed it had zero rust on the underbody. At this point I have real concerns as to if this new Jeep will last 5 years with how fast it is rusting... again tell me if you think this is "normal" and that I am over reacting... but I dont like the idea of my "new" Jeep rusting already.

http://www.photoshop.com/index.html?use ... ngid=BTAGC

Where do you live and where did you buy it? In addition to last message, I'd pull the carpet up in a few spots and see if there is any rust under them. Lot's of flooding around the U.S. in the past winter, not saying your Jeep may have been in a flood area during storage, but I don't trust anyone any more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bhc04 wrote:
Where do you live and where did you buy it? In addition to last message, I'd pull the carpet up in a few spots and see if there is any rust under them. Lot's of flooding around the U.S. in the past winter, not saying your Jeep may have been in a flood area during storage, but I don't trust anyone any more.

When you say "new" .. Do you mean "new to you"? Or it only has 10 miles on it?

If it is brand new, then I would worry about it, check the Carfax..
See what dealers owned the Jeep, what part of the country etc..

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:19 pm 
LOST Member

infernicus wrote:
bhc04 wrote:

When you say "new" .. Do you mean "new to you"? Or it only has 10 miles on it?

If it is brand new, then I would worry about it, check the Carfax..
See what dealers owned the Jeep, what part of the country etc..

Mother ship to infernicus, wrong quote, it's not my Jeep. Check out the 1st post to quote.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

I live in upstate New York and it is new new not just new to me, had 210 miles on it when I picked it up but that was only because it came from another dealer and they had to go pick it up. It came from another dealer in new york and according to the information that I have it they took original delivery of it when it was new.

I did call Jeep customer service and got it documented with them, they were less then impressed that it was rusting already. I also took it back to the dealer I purchased it from and they sounded like they really didn't care and totaly dismissed me without doing anything other then looking at the photos I took (never actually looked at my Jeep) and said he would talk to his district manager "at some point this week".

I will try taking it to another dealer, but am worried about putting more miles on it. Next closest dealer I would trust is like 40 miles away and I have already put like 250 miles on it since I picked it up (you know when you get a new ride you want to take it every place)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:48 pm 
LOST Member

You may want to check under the carpeting/floorboards. Good luck hope you get this resolved, it's not right. Stay on top of the bastids.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I will deffinatly check under the carpets, any specific "problem spots" I should pay close attention to? There is also some rust on the seat rail sliders under the drivers seat...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bhc04 wrote:
Mother ship to infernicus, wrong quote, it's not my Jeep. Check out the 1st post to quote.

Haha, yeah.. I know, I was quoting you because I thought your point was valid and wanted to reiterate and add to it.

Sucks about the dealer, they figure they got their money, and don't care.
I would stay on them, and definitely keep in contact with Customer Care.

Maybe it was sitting with snow all around it, especially with this past winter.

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 am 
LOST Member

My dealer had to go and pick my jeep up from another dealer as well. They said it was Burried I'm snow during the prior winter but there were no issues..and sure enough, there were no issues..no excessive rusting..no rusted seat rails..none of the bad juju you have in your pics. Just food for thought. Good luck Botha.

SkyJacker shocks
General Grabber AT2 tires 245/75/R16
6x E3.48 Dimond fire spark plugs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

A little late of a response.. But your post is not uncommon. I just turned in my Impala and Got a 12 Liberty, it has 45,000 miles from Florida on it. I went under, over, through and around looking for issues. I found a lot of rust, oxidation and deterioration of different components. Windshield wiper bolts, undercarriage, suspension areas. I was a little pissed. I got some to sanding and priming everything that was rusty with rustoleum. See how that holds up