It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeep possessed!! gas pedal pinned by itself.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scary drive. Took my 08 out to the corner store.

Just coasting to the first stop sign, lifted my foot off the gas and it keeps accelerating like I've got cruise control on. Noticing the red lightening bolt indicator on the dash, then the hill decent control flashed on and off a couple times.

I hit the brakes hard. The vehicle stops but the engine is surging like it's trying to do a brake stand. Let off the brake and it launches me forward. I drove around the block with my foot on the brake, within 8 minutes the gas pedal audibly clunks back to resting position.

It was acting like the cruise control wanted to keep engaging. It would turn off for a second and I would have to give it a little gas, then it would launch again and I'd have to ride the break.

Did this until the engine was warm then it seemed to stop.

It really felt like a demon had possessed my ride.

The only other symptom is that I recently had my auto trans fluid changed and it's been slow to engage gears when it's cold. Don't see how it would be related but thought I'd toss it out there.

So what the eff? What could be going on here?

Needless to say I ain't driving it nowhere for the time being.

Post subject: Re: Jeep possessed!! gas pedal pinned by itself.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow, that's crazy! I had a '93 Dodge Shadow that did that to me once. But that had a physical cable connecting the accelerator pedal to the throttle body, whereas we now have circuits instead. Remember you can shift into neutral if you need to to disengage the acceleration. One of the problems with something like this, is if the engine has enough speed and torque, your brakes won't be able to stop the Jeep by themselves.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: Jeep possessed!! gas pedal pinned by itself.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Problem solved:

After much troubleshooting, and no repeats of the above incident, it was determined that moisture got into the engine bay on a bunch of the electrical components and caused the issue. I had recently used one of those automated car washes with the undercarriage sprayers and one must have doused the engine bay good. Won't be using that again. Scary stuff.