It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: Update your MyGig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

First things first, know that I'm not responsible if you mess up your device. I'm going to tell you the correct way to do the update and if you fail to do this, you can possible ruin your device and render it unusable.

First you need to head over to our dear buddy at http://mofv.com/mygig/. Here is where you'll find the updates that you can download.
determine which system you have (RER, REN, REP, REZ, REW), it says it on your device here:
but if you can find it here are the descriptions

The radio types are as follows:
RER is the US Navigation radio w/internal VR and U-Connect
REW is the European Navigation Radio w/internal VR and U-Connect (VR & UConnect not equipped in MY07 European vehicles)
REP is the Rest of the World Navigation Radio w/internal VR and U-Connect
REN is the US non-Navigation w/o internal VR or UConnect
REZ is the European non-Navigation Radio w/o internal VR or UConnect
REU is a MyGIG variant for the Chrysler Journey vehicle only. It has an external display and an internal 6 disc DVD changer. There is no touch screen, rather a joy stick for user HMI.

For this How To I will go through the steps for the RER because that is what i have but its the same for every device( with a few minor changes which I will cover)

2. Now that you have determined your Device you can now go ahead and download the most recent software update ( also know as the application update) for your Device. For the RER its the 2.043

Now you can also download the Gracenotes update( assists in naming the songs stored on you Hard drive and Cd's) which is the 2057

When you download these files they will come in a zip folder. Please extract these items to your desktop for easy of finding them later on. If you would prefer to put them else where you can put them in My documents etc as long as you remember where you put them.

3. To do these updated you need both a CD-R/RW and a DVD-R/+R/RW. The Software update uses a regular CD-R and the Gracenotes requires a DVD ( both which need to be blank media, never used before. You can get these at your local electronics store.

4. Once you've obtained the blank media( CD's and DVD's) you can proceed to put the files that you extracted on them. Now I would suggest using "Burn4free CD and DVD" which is free software and can be downloaded at http://download.cnet.com/Burn4Free-CD-and-DVD/3000-2646_4-10217894.html?tag=mncol I suggest using this software as it lets you change all the necessary things with ease in order to successfully do these updates.

5. First we will update the Software. To do this go to Burn4free. On the top look for the add button.. when you click this it will be a pop up screen. Navigate to the area where you saved the RER_2.043 folder that you extracted before. click it. In the window you should now see these folders
Becker(folder)
CD_INFO.CDI
CONFIG.CDI

select all three items by clicking the "Select All" button on the bottom of the popup window and then click the "Add To Compilation" button. Exit the pop up window
you should now see three files/ folders in the big white box.

Now Change the Volume Name( on the top of the screen). You will change the Name to XXX_2.043. ( XXX is the device you have and in my case its an RER so RER_2.043)

after you do this click drive speed, it will determine your lowest and fastest write speeds... please click the lowest one as it will assure best results.

Then make sure that the Close Disk box is checked.

Then click The Burn Data button ( may also saw something about another file type also don't worry its the same thing)

when you do this it will ask if you want to burn a specific memory size to the disk, click yes, it will then ask if you want to close the disk, click yes again
The disk will not eject when it is done. but you will see that the progress is complete and you will return to the white window again. To make sure everything worked out please go to "My computer" then look where the CD or DVD drive is and you should see what you named the file ( RER_2.043) and then click that and make sure those three folder/files are in there.. after that eject the disk and label it APP UPDATE ( use a permanent marker)

6. Now we will update the Gracenotes. Click new compilation and it should give you a blank white screen. From here you are going to click "Add" again and then add the files form the gracenote folder you downloaded ( should be something similar to GN_2057_US).
click this folder and then select the two things inside
GNDB(folder)
gnupdate

then "add to compilation" after you do this again change the write speed ot the slowest, and check the "close disk" box
Now depending where you live there are variations in the Volume Name
in the US/CAN/MEX you will name the file GN_2057
in Europe it's named GranenoteECEXXX ( where XXX is the most up to date version for gracenote in europe)
All other countries use GNXXX ( where XXX is the most up to date version for gracenote)

after you do this again click "Burn Data", click yes for both questions and again check to make sure all the files are there when the burning process is complete/ Take out the Richard and Label it GN Update

7. Now its time to go to your car and load these updates on!

Before doing this you must start your vehicle and keep it running. this prevents the system form turning off accidently in the middle of the update process which could ruin your device!

YOU MUST: start with the APP Update disk ( which si the software update and then to the GN Update disk later.

open the mygig and put in the disk, it will read the disk and a screen will show up.
the screen will look similar to this Image
except it will say the old version and then put the new version which you named earlier ( 2.043 )

PLEASE
: don't be frightened if the number that you are changing the system to is lower, it does not mean you are downgrading at all! ( This is why it is important to make sure your device type and make sure you downloaded the right file earlier)

Click yes and it should bring you to a screen that have a top and bottom bar. The bars will be blue and when the complete process is done it will turn green. During this time the deivce my turn on and off but do not touch anything. YOU WILL KNOW WHEN THE PROCESS IS FINISHED WHEN THE DEVICE LOADS AND SAYS "PROCEED WITH UPDATE (THE NEW UPDATE) to (THE NEW UPDATE) so in my case 2.043 to 2.043

when you see this click no and eject the disk.
NOTE: the entire update should take anywhere form 10-20 minutes

Just to make sure everything went fine turn off your vehicle then turn it back on, check the radio etc.

Now you can do the Gracenote update
put in the disk and you will get a similar screen as before. It will give you a warning telling you the update may take up to 30 minutes. Again when you click yes you will see a basic screen with the blue bar
when it is done you will see the green bar. The device will then return you to the regular screen and you will be able to eject the dvd. To make sure its updated put the dvd back in and check that the version types are the same ( both being the up-to-date one)

eject the disk and enjoy your updated MyGig Radio!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

(trouble shooting :banghead: : in the event that you lose control of your volume do not freak out... this is a natural side effect sometimes, just take the negative off the battery for 15 seconds, but do not do so if you are in the middle of the download only do that if the download is complete!)

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Update your MyGig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Jeepin. Good job.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Update your MyGig
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:41 pm 
LOST Member

Hey i noticed your instructions say
when you see this click no and eject the disk.
NOTE: the entire update should take anywhere form 10-20 minutes
is there a picture missing or am I clicking no to proceed with the upgrade