It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: REMOVE THE AUTOMATIC SHIFT KNOB
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tools need:

A flathead screwdriver, putty knife, utility knife or any tool with a flat tip.

1) To begin, apply the emergency break and move the shifter into neutral or drive. (the key must be turned to the "on" position but engine not running)

2) Next turn the bottom chrome piece of the shift a little less than 1/8 of a turn.

3) Insert a flathead screw driver, putty knife or whatever thin bladed tool you have between the bottom chrome piece and the rubber center portion.

4) wiggle the tool up and down to seperate the bottom chrome piece. It should pop off, if it does not try turning the bottom chrome piece the other way and try again.

5) grasp the shift knob with both hands and pull straight up. Be careful not to have your face above the shift knob during this step as the shift knob is a bit tight and you might end up knocking yourself out.

To install:

Slide the bottom chrome piece, then the shift knob over the shifter shaft and rotate until the flat parts of the shaft fit into the groves up in the top part of the shift knob. You should feel it sink down a little.

While pressing down on the shift knob, push up on the bottom chrome piece.

When fully seated turn the bottom chrome piece about 1/8 of a turn and your done.

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:51 pm 
Taco Killer

are those mcdonalds fries?

2009 4x4 Silver Liberty Limited Edition, Premium Group I and II, Skid Plate Group, Exterior Appearance Group by MOPAR, Select Trac II, Sky Slider,uconnect studios,Slush Mats, Hid HEADLAMPS, Interior LED light mod, Scangauge 2, AEM brute force intake, IPOD Integration interface for RER RADIOS, OEM Front end bra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:53 pm 
LOST Addict

:roll:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: REMOVE THE AUTOMATIC SHIFT KNOB
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey toy4everyseason;

I have a 2011 liberty and wanted to upgrade the shifter nob.

Just tried your directions and it worked perfect !!

You are a freakin genious. Thanks, jamjeep.

FYI - went to 3 jeep dealers and none of them had a clue ?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok so I am going to put the leather knob on from the '11 Wrangler Sahara like my pops has on his and this may seem like a silly question, but when you twist the bottom piece, do you twist it clock-wise or counter clock wise? IDK which position is the "locked" position and which is "un-locked" and I dont wanna twist and pry it off when it's in the locked position, if that makes sense

before finding this thread i was screwing with it trying to figure out how to get it off (gigity), and so IDK which position i have it in. But, great write up otherwise :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you go to mopars site and look at the crome shift nob read the install instructions from chrysler. It will take any guess work out of it.

Stock bright black 08 liberty limited.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SilverKK09 wrote:
are those mcdonalds fries?

Nope...Burger King :mrgreen:

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

ahm!! hi.. toy4everyseason
wow.. nice tip with your pictures on how to remove the handle of the... gear knub..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the thread. I was able to remove shifter from 2011 Wrangler Unlimited. In about thirty seconds. For the question of which way to turn the base the answer is clockwise. Once the base was removed the knob came off with just a firm tug.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:27 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Thaaats what she said!

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:52 pm 
LOST Member

thanks for the write up really easy! did you paint it yours? the chrome on the shifter is such a dumb design i get blinded in the face all the time buy the sun bouncing off of it. I ride with my hand on the knob just so i can see

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I switched mine out for one from a Compass. It still has the chrome on top but the Jeep logo in it takes away a lot of the glare plus I think it looks better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:31 am 
LOST Member

Thats cool you get it at a junk yard? I took mine off yesterday and panted it matte black with a $.99 can of paint. ssoooooo much better

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ajdrummer wrote:
Thats cool you get it at a junk yard? I took mine off yesterday and panted it matte black with a $.99 can of paint. ssoooooo much better

Nope, brand new at my local dealership, if I remember correctly it was under $20