It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: Installation walktrough for AEM's Intake on a 09 KK
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:26 am 
Taco Killer

Hello everyone!
first off, Id like to thank digger for getting me into this...the install of the intake was a little annoying (unconventional/non practical perhaps?) but in the end it was all worth it.
Im going to try and explain the install step by step and I really hope that digger will correct me if I did something wrong: In case I did, please tell me digger so that my KK will not explode.

PROBLEM
you have to install the sensor I circled in red on your new intake.... The wire harness for the 09 is different from the one on the 08 hence being shorter: here are some pics:

The sensor's connector must go from point 1 to point 2 BUT the wire length is way short

SOLUTION
Cut the wires from the sensor's connector like ziz:

Solder a wire extension (I used color wires to identify one from the other) 6 inches should do the trick

Use thermofit to seal the area that you soldered

Solder the other end of the wires (be sure to match the corresponding wires)

Use thermofit again

Plug in the sensor, turn your KK on and if no check engine light comes on then you are all set!

Then use split wire loom to cover the newly soldered wire extension (thanks MtnLvr!)
This will give you a nice clean install

So now that you got your wire extended, lets proceed to the intake installation!

INTAKE INSTALLATION

Disconnect this little hose from your AIRBOX

Loosen the fastener that holds the OEM intake tube in place and then pull the tube towards you (open the two clips in front of the airbox to open the airbox also)
it will look like this:

REMOVE your air filter and air box... just pull it up

In this pic you'll see a blue line and a red circle... ignore them (for now)
Once the airbox is removed it should look like this

Take a look at the airbox fasteners

Remember the red circle from previous picture??? you have to remove this air duct by pulling it... its being held in place by this little bracket:

This is what it looks when removed:

REMEMBER THE BLUE LINE ABOVE? thats a tube and you have to pull it up from here

rotate the tubes endings so that it will look like this

and then reattach....
you should end with the tube located like this:

NEXT
Remove this rubber grommet

Install the corresponding nut, washer and bolt like this

Install that little metal cone that came with your kit

Use the corresponding nut to secure that metal cone:

Reattach grommet
Install your intake's heatsink like this
(add the corresponding nuts and washers)

Tell your dog to bring you a soda:

Install the rubber mount on your engine

Remove your sensor from your old intake tube (you have to pull it and requires a little elbow grease)

Attach the included rubber grommet on your new intake

Use some lube (I used a few drops of WD-40) to install your sensor like this:

Attach your new intake tube to the rubber mount and fasten with the included fasteners

Dont forget to fasten "the blue hose" to your intake"

your installation should look like this

Plug in your sensor

Install your Filter element and the rubber supports on your heat sink

Be sure to tighten these fasteners:

turn your kk on let the engine idle for 3 mins and while you do that install this:

if you dont install it your intake will not activete
:lol: :lol:

Sorry if I made this post long, but I tried to make it simple for those who want to add an intake to their KKs... Digger used some self tapping screws to fix the heat sink to his kk... But in my opinion they were not necessary at all.

Let me tell you guys that IM AMAZED with this mod, your engine will now roar and youll feel the power!!! I just love it!
If you have a 08 just skip the soldering part... if you have a 09 then do it ... I know that youll love it!!!
best regards and now Im off to bed

*EDIT* Some have asked which wire gauge to use, as stated by Mike08 a 16-18 gauge wire will do the trick... just try to color match the wire.
I also need to note that the intake is for a 07 NITRO... there is no intake for the KK....
Look for it on amazon! =)
best regards

2009 4x4 Silver Liberty Limited Edition, Premium Group I and II, Skid Plate Group, Exterior Appearance Group by MOPAR, Select Trac II, Sky Slider,uconnect studios,Slush Mats, Hid HEADLAMPS, Interior LED light mod, Scangauge 2, AEM brute force intake, IPOD Integration interface for RER RADIOS, OEM Front end bra.

Last edited by SilverKK09 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Installation walktrough for AEM's Intake on a 09 KK
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SilverKK09,

Wow, excellent posting and job! Image Image Image We can certainly tell you put a lot of effort into the post. Thank you for posting such detailed and photo-documented information. Digger, I'd vote this belongs in the "KK Tech Section" as a "HOW TO: ....".

FYI, it looks like there are 3 or so photo links that don't currently work -- based upon the time, you must've been pretty tired when you posted.

A few other quick observations for potential further clarification:

SilverKK09 wrote:
The sensor's connector must go from point 1 to point 2 BUT the wire length is way short

Can someone confirm exactly what this sensor is? Is it the MAF (mass airflow sensor)? Also, anyone splicing into and adding to wire length needs to understand to always use at least the same wire gauge size or larger. You want the cross section of metal wire you're adding to be at least the same size as the cross section of metal of the wire you're splicing into. You can think of wire as analogous to pipe and if you add on smaller diameter opening pipe, then you won't get the full flow through it. Instead of water through a pipe, we're talking about electrons through the wire. I'm glad you showed soldering the wire splices and then covering them with heat-shrink.

SilverKK09 wrote:
Then wrap the new cable on the plastic cover tube (I dont really know how its called but its the one that has an opening in the middle) (got it at a local stereo shop)

The black plastic split tubing you're referring to that you inserted the wiring back into is commonly called "split wire loom". Any decent automotive parts supply store, and even some home improvement stores, should carry this in their electrical sections.

SilverKK09 wrote:
REMEMBER THE BLUE LINE ABOVE? thats a tube and you have to pull it up from here...

Again, can someone confirm what this tube is? Is it the feed to the air pressure sensor? Wish I had my KK so I could dig into this myself.

Excellent job SilverKK09! Thank you very much for such an informative and detailed step by step posting.
Image Image Image Image Image

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: Installation walktrough for AEM's Intake on a 09 KK
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 am 
Taco Killer

MtnLuvr:
Thanks for your kind comments! (those are the ones that make the effort worth it)
Indeed the time of the day (3am) did not help with the walk trough.... but ill try to fix it as things go.

I fixed some pictures just refresh your browser to see them....
Again thanks and Im off to bed (just woke up because nature called...)

See you in a little bit
PS: I got the intake from amazon... you cant beat their shipping plans (I have amazon prime :D )

2009 4x4 Silver Liberty Limited Edition, Premium Group I and II, Skid Plate Group, Exterior Appearance Group by MOPAR, Select Trac II, Sky Slider,uconnect studios,Slush Mats, Hid HEADLAMPS, Interior LED light mod, Scangauge 2, AEM brute force intake, IPOD Integration interface for RER RADIOS, OEM Front end bra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:46 pm 
LOST Member

Had to throw in my two cents - excellent post! Well explain, well documented. Almost made me think I could do it myself. Almost...!

Just one thing - did your dog ever bring you your soda? Don't leave us hanging like that!!! ;)

if you have an 08, it's like 15 minutes to do it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:53 pm 
Taco Killer

Gimme Liberty wrote:
Had to throw in my two cents - excellent post! Well explain, well documented. Almost made me think I could do it myself. Almost...!

Just one thing - did your dog ever bring you your soda? Don't leave us hanging like that!!! ;)

you have an 08! no need to solder.. the install is about a 45 mins.........

OF COURSE MY DOG DID NOT BRING ME A SODA!!! HE IS A FREAKING DOG FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! DUH!

But he did take out his cell, called my mom and made her bring the soda!
hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:10 pm 
LOST Member

Silver,

That was sweet! It makes me want to do it now....awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Fantastic write up. Keep up the good work. We need more in depth play by play projects like this on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok the blue tube is a fresh air inlet that feed the crank case. The whole idea is to push fresh air in to the left side of the engine(if looking from the front) and force the crank case vapors out of the pcv valve on the right side of the engine so that they can be re burned. As far as the sensor, I think it is the IAT (inlet air temp sensor) I will check later

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:34 pm 
Taco Killer

Diggerfreek wrote:
Ok the blue tube is a fresh air inlet that feed the crank case. The whole idea is to push fresh air in to the left side of the engine(if looking from the front) and force the crank case vapors out of the pcv valve on the right side of the engine so that they can be re burned. As far as the sensor, I think it is the IAT (inlet air temp sensor) I will check later

Yes it is the IAT sensor!
Whe I was testing the sensor wire extension I forgot to plug it back in and cranked the engine.... Of course the check engine light came on... thank God for scangauge2 It gave me the Error number (P0113) and the option to clear the code =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I love my scan gauge :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:23 pm 
Taco Killer

x2 on the scangauge!
I was thinking that maybe I could send the link to this thread to the people of AEM power... just to see what are their thoughts.....

Maybe thatll get them to work on a dedicated intake for the KK
=)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Excellent job and thank you for your time / effort in providing such a great write up. Just curious to know if the AEM increases your gas mileage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:20 pm 
Taco Killer

To_The_Max wrote:
Excellent job and thank you for your time / effort in providing such a great write up. Just curious to know if the AEM increases your gas mileage?

Hard to know right now since I dont have the right numbers for now...
All I know is that I get a range of 220 to 230 miles per tank.... If I get more than that once I fill her up, then Ill know for sure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:23 pm 
Taco Killer

BTW: I dont know what the difference is between the KJ and the KK (HP and torque wise) But I was at a stop light and this renny KJ stops besides me.... green light comes on and we both floored it..... I am happy to report that I killed him =)
I guess that the intake does make a difference over stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:26 pm 
LOST Addict

:lol: ... now all you need is a muffler :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:05 pm 
Taco Killer

Diggerfreek wrote:
:lol: ... now all you need is a muffler :twisted:

Flowmaster you mean.. hahaha

I just sent an email to the guys at AEM power to see what their answer is about this particular install and why they have not released an intake's version for the KK
(as far as I know the KK is a best seller compared to the nitro so I dont know why they choose the nitro)