It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EVIC: oil change required message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:45 pm 
LOST Addict

OPERATION
The change oil indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator when a duty-cycle algorithm contained within the software of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines that a recommended oil change interval has been attained. This indicator is controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit based upon cluster programming and electronic messages received over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus from the PCM.

The change oil indicator function of the Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) is completely controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit, and that logic will only allow this indicator to operate when the instrument cluster receives a battery current input on the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit. Therefore, the VFD change oil indication will always be OFF when the ignition switch is in any position except ON or START. The instrument cluster will turn ON the change oil indicator for the following reasons:

Change Oil Indicator Lamp-On Message - Each time the ignition switch is turned to the ON position and the cluster receives an electronic change oil indicator lamp-ON message from the PCM indicating that a duty-cycle based recommended oil change interval has been attained, the change oil indicator will be illuminated for about three seconds, until the trip odometer reset switch button is depressed, or until the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, whichever occurs first.

Change Oil Indicator Reset Procedure - Once an engine oil change has been completed, the PCM duty cycle counters can be reset using the following procedure. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but DO NOT start the engine. Slowly depress and release the accelerator pedal fully three times within ten seconds. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. If the change oil indicator illuminates the next time the engine is started, repeat this procedure.

The PCM continually monitors numerous sensor inputs to determine the duty-cycles to which the engine is being subjected. A pre-programmed algorithm within the PCM then determines when to send the proper lamp-ON or lamp-OFF message to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN).

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good idea to post this here Digger.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I can't take all of the credit, I'm just posting what the other KK owners think should be in here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Digger you can take credit, you found the data....

This place rocks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:40 pm 
LOST Addict

hrogi wrote:
Digger you can take credit, you found the data....

This place rocks...

We try our best :wink:

Post subject: Re: EVIC: oil change required message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys! As soon as this annoying problems started, I knew right where to go to find the answer :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:13 am 
LOST Newbie

Is it advisable to perform this process after every oil change (even if oil change indicator is not present) to 'reset' the duty-cycle algorithm? Or is this process only necessary should you receive the oil change message?

Should this be necessary after every oil change, does this mean mechanics are aware of this process and (should) perform after they change oil?

I doubt this happens often - maybe with the exception of authorized jeep mechanics anyway (you would hope).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:01 pm 
LOST Addict

1. The process should be done after the oil change is done.
2. It is a crap shot on whether the mechanic knows the proper procedure.
3. Again it all depends on the shop. Some are better then others since the reset process is different on a lot of cars.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:32 am 
LOST Newbie

This is awesome. I thought I was going to have to hook up the OBDII and try and find the reset in third party software. That is probably what a proper service centre would do, not the throtle reset procedure. Much easier to just go into the diag software and click the [reset oil change interval] button, and clearly see it has been done without resorting to the timed throttle and key operations. Most third party service centre diag machines would have this capability, not just dealers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know I’m late to the party, but I distinctly remember my 2012 Liberty limited showing an engine oil life percentage in the HUD menu options, but when I look for it now, nothing comes up. Am I crazy in remembering this? I’m almost positive my Libby used to display the engine oil life percentage, but not anymore. What gives? Any info is much appreciated.