It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would you like to see in the KK tech section
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Well little by little, the KK tech section has grown. Since the admins created this section for us, we have had a lot of great write ups. And I ask, what would you like to see in the KK tech section? Just drop me a line or post in here and we will work on getting you what you want to see. It my not be a picture how to, but the FSM will at least point you in the right direction

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:24 am 
LOST Newbie

I am still "wanting" to find a way to keep my fog lights on when high beams are turned on. Maybe a schematic from the lights to the switch and the fuse layout. :D

Digger, excellent job keeping up on the tech section.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:30 pm 
LOST Addict

To_The_Max wrote:
I am still "wanting" to find a way to keep my fog lights on when high beams are turned on. Maybe a schematic from the lights to the switch and the fuse layout. :D

Tim

Let me see what I can find Tim. As far as I know, the fogs are controlled by the BCM, which means we may or may not be able to keep them one. I should have something posted by tonight.

Post subject: Hey Digger,
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

How about a walk through with pictures on changing the differential oil on a 4X4?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Hey Digger,
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:57 pm 
LOST Addict

cgreen wrote:
How about a walk through with pictures on changing the differential oil on a 4X4?
Thanks

Sure, I should be able to do that next week

Post subject: Things to see in Tech section
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I would love to see how to premantly turn off the traction control that is on my KK sport. Even though I turn it off in the cab, at higher speeds it comes back on.
I'd like to end up with lockers in my KK and I'm scared that with out being able to premantly turn that stuff off, I'll do damage.

Post subject: Re: Things to see in Tech section
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Carob KK wrote:
I would love to see how to premantly turn off the traction control that is on my KK sport. Even though I turn it off in the cab, at higher speeds it comes back on.
I'd like to end up with lockers in my KK and I'm scared that with out being able to premantly turn that stuff off, I'll do damage.

Sorry for the late reply... So basically we have 2 options right now,
1. Pull the ABS fuse
2. Their was a "disable box" that is made for chargers and magnums. Some one on here was going to look in to it, but I haven't seen any thing about it lately

3. There is a remote chance that a B&G pcm will allow for full shut down.

As far as doing damage with lockers, there is a 98% chance of it not happening. Because the TC system depends on 4 inputs from the ABS/Speed sensors, the vehicle asses the total percentage of wheel slip and takes action by applying the brake at the wheel that is showing excessive slipping which transmits power to the other wheel. With a locker, because both axle shafts are locked, their will never be a difference in wheel speed, so the TC system will never operate while you are locked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Digger,
I know how time consuming photos are. How about just a written "How To" on changing the front and rear differential oil?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:46 pm 
LOST Addict

cgreen wrote:
Hey Digger,
I know how time consuming photos are. How about just a written "How To" on changing the front and rear differential oil?
Thanks

OK :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

It seems that there has been some discussion here and there about adding OEM skid plates to KKs that didn't have the skid package from the factory (unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding any of those threads through the search feature right now).

It would be nice to see a how-to on installing the full OEM skid plate package, including the plates that can be purchased as "aftermarket" accessories and the plates that have to be ordered special from the dealer (the front ones). It would also be helpful to know part numbers. I tried to decipher the parts list, but I'm not confident enough to know if I'm reading it right.

Thanks!

-SR-

Short Term Wish List:
Hitch receiver & wire harness
General Grabber AT2 245/70R16 tires (as soon as the stockers wear out)
DVD player (for Jr.)

Long Term Wish List:
Lift kit (not sure what size yet)
Bigger tires
Front tow hooks
Skid plates
Rock rails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:58 pm 
LOST Addict

greatoppressor wrote:
It seems that there has been some discussion here and there about adding OEM skid plates to KKs that didn't have the skid package from the factory (unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding any of those threads through the search feature right now).

It would be nice to see a how-to on installing the full OEM skid plate package, including the plates that can be purchased as "aftermarket" accessories and the plates that have to be ordered special from the dealer (the front ones). It would also be helpful to know part numbers. I tried to decipher the parts list, but I'm not confident enough to know if I'm reading it right.

Thanks!

-SR-

I can get you numbers, but I wouldn't be very helpful as to aftermarket install since I don't know what all come with the plates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am 
LOST Newbie

A couple suggestions to add to the Tech Section whenever someone happens to do them:

- Tow hook installation (including the nifty little tidbit that the OEM KJ tow hook kit can be used)
- OEM hitch receive and harness installation (including the electric brake wiring; the instructions on the Mopar site are mostly easy to follow except for some of the wire harness installation instructions).

Thanks!

-SR-

Short Term Wish List:
DVD player (for Jr.)

Long Term Wish List:
Bigger tires
Front tow hooks
Skid plates
Rock rails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 am 
LOST Member

Greatoppressor:

Use the HOW TO: Front Bumper Removal for the tow hooks (KK or KJ hooks). They're as simple as 1 bolt, and 1 M bolt, the tighten. The instructions provided online are more than adequet for those IMHO.

Hitch Receiver I thought was also very easy, however I did NOT install the wiring harness. THAT would be one I'd like to see as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm going to be installing the mopar wiring harness one of the next two weekends so I'll do a write up if no one beats be to it.

Already installed the hitch received and it couldn't possibly be any easier.
Just 6 bolts and you are done so the mopar instructions are good.

I also have tow hooks and rock rails on the way so I'll do a writeup for those as well if there is demand.

I am going to first try to work some magic and install the tow hooks without removing the bumper so if I am able to pull it off I'll write that up, otherwise like BrendonR wrote, the mopar instructions are good enough once you follow the existing bumper removal write-up.

But I certainly don't mind taking a few step by step photos if you would like to see them greatoppressor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am very sorry that I didn't see your request for a aftermarket skid plate installation write-up earlier because I just did it two weeks ago.

I can tell you this that the online mopar instructions are good for 3 of the 4 plates. It isn't that the instructions are wrong for the gas tank skid plate, it is just that it is a royal pain if are jacking up the jeep yourself with just some standard floor jack stands.

What makes it difficult is the fact that you are actually removing the current gas take plate and replacing it with essentially the same part with an extra layer of steel welded to it. So, when you remove the old part you have to support the gas tank with straps so you don't break off any hoses until you get the new plate bolted up.

Some hints are:
drive your jeep around until the gas tank is almost empty
have some straps and a long screw driver or pry bar of some sort handy because you will probably have to use them to wedge between the drive shaft and the tank plate because of the small space available between the drive shaft and the gas tank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

wolverine wrote:
I'm going to be installing the mopar wiring harness one of the next two weekends so I'll do a write up if no one beats be to it.

Already installed the hitch received and it couldn't possibly be any easier.
Just 6 bolts and you are done so the mopar instructions are good.

I also have tow hooks and rock rails on the way so I'll do a writeup for those as well if there is demand.

I am going to first try to work some magic and install the tow hooks without removing the bumper so if I am able to pull it off I'll write that up, otherwise like BrendonR wrote, the mopar instructions are good enough once you follow the existing bumper removal write-up.

But I certainly don't mind taking a few step by step photos if you would like to see them greatoppressor

If it's not too much trouble, I think photos would be helpful for me and and anyone else who installs the wiring harness. I'm sure I could figure all of this stuff out on my own - I usually do if I have to - but it's always nice to know what you getting into before you get into it. ;)

-SR-

Short Term Wish List:
DVD player (for Jr.)

Long Term Wish List:
Bigger tires
Front tow hooks
Skid plates
Rock rails

Post subject: Re: What would you like to see in the KK tech section
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i would like to see about what options i have for tow hooks, i have seen the mopar ones but with the bull bar i have i dont think i will to be able to have one in the front. any thoughts you have would be appreciated. thanks, Colin

black horse grill guard
2 hella 500s

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

To_The_Max wrote:

Tim

You'd have to be able to get into the programming of the computer. I did the same thing on my 08 GTI. But with that, all you need is the right software and the right cable.. and voila! Instant access to all kinds of features you never knew existed. (ie, remote start from the keyfob, auto windows up/down from the keyfob, fogs and brights on, speed limiter removal, etc).

On the Jeep, I doubt there's very many features even available. But one day, maybe.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
http://www.jeepcommander.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

im pretty sure none of those are starscan options haha i wish though nightdrv

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It would be nice to see some "how-to's" for resetting the wheel well fender flares after they get off one of their clips. This has happened to me multiple times on my rear flares (after wheelin') and looks like I've just had a front wheel well fender flare come off it frontmost clip. Photos would be great. I'm not certain, but IIRC, my dealer said you have to actually remove the entire wheel well fender flair and then reseat the entire thing.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN: