It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 09 KK Heater core replacement HELP Please
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, I'm new to your site but not to Jeeps. I drive a lifted 07 WK Hemi and my wife drives an 09 KK ltd. We both love our Jeeps, well my wife did until the heater core went out on sat. and filled the pass floor with coolant. Does anyone know how to replace one? or know where I can find a write-up? Do I have to remove the whole dash? Dang I hope not.... Thanks for any help you guys can offer
:JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: 09 KK Heater core replacement HELP Please
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm in the same situation. Just purchased a 2009 Liberty 113K miles, as is - no warranty... Antifreeze under heater core section, steaming up windshield.
Not too much heater core replacement info for KKs online. This site seems to have more info than anywhere else, but couldn't find a complete step by step process. There's a few sites with KJ heater core replacement. KKs dashes & heaters look similar but are different. I'll post if I find a complete step by step for a KK Liberty.

Phil

First Commandment of Four Wheeling: Thou shall keep thy momentum, lest the mud rise up and smite thee, dragging thee and thy Jeep down into the bottomless mire.
Farmall: (farm'ol) n The original off road vehicle often used to retrieve momentumless Jeeps, out of the bottomless pit of muck and mire.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:52 pm 
LOST Member

From what I see in the service manual, the whole dash has to come out. The housing that has the heater core in it has to be removed from the vehicle to get the core out, which requires the dash to be pulled and the AC system evaced and disconnected. It may be possible to partially disassemble the dash and pull the core out, but it is pretty tight back there.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:48 pm 
LOST Member

I took a look at the manual again and you MIGHT be able to get away with removing just the Pass. Air bag, glove box and radio. You'll have to have small hands and be able to work blind though.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

I started to work on getting to my heater core Thursday evening. I was in a hurry to get things started, and didn't have a camera or photographer handy so no pics so far. I'll try to take pics as I reassemble and make a new Post describing the process.
A couple of notes.
Remove the radio front center bezel and center console before disconnecting the battery as the shift lever is in the way when in the PARK position. The gear selector will not move from Park with the battery disconnected. (How would you put the vehicle in NEUTRAL to coast the vehicle with a dead battery if it is in PARK.) The key will not turn off when the shift lever is in anything other than PARK position.
Put a small paper clip in the zipper slider when unzipping the Parking Brake cover. There is a back to the radio compartment, so you can't even see the heater with the radio removed.
Disconnect battery to power down the Airbag system.
The first part of disassemble is pretty straightforward. Bottom Foot Guards - 2 screws and Plastic Molly Bolt type inserts on each side. Glove box opens and drops down - slide to right. Panel under steering wheel - pry top down and slide to left to remove.
Side A column panels pry out - be careful not to damage the side curtain airbags.
Removing the top panels behind windshield by prying the rear edge is kind of tricky. Pictures speak a thousand words. Remove drivers side first as it is over top the passenger side panel in center of dash. Wire disconnect on left side of drivers side.
Note: Left & right side speaker covers and center coin holder (directly behind windshield defrost vents) are held down by screws under the top panels.
I didn't remove the passenger side airbag - it wouldn't come out.
Check out these posts:
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=29901
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=29455
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=48356
These get you going in the right direction.
About 6 hours work so far, but lots of trial and error - Flying by the seat of my pants. Through the glove box opening, I can see the 2 lines and O-ring couplers coming from the heater core.
Presently, I'm trying to remove the steering column cover without breaking and next the steering column itself.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Phil

First Commandment of Four Wheeling: Thou shall keep thy momentum, lest the mud rise up and smite thee, dragging thee and thy Jeep down into the bottomless mire.
Farmall: (farm'ol) n The original off road vehicle often used to retrieve momentumless Jeeps, out of the bottomless pit of muck and mire.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Phil, here's a random question and a slight thread hijack... But you would be the one to ask.
I am thinking of mounting a Scangauge II into the back of the coin holder by the defrost vents. Is there any room behind the coin holder for me to sink the gauge there and mount it? I think I would need about 2-3 inches of room behind it.
Thanks,
Lauren

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:21 am 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
Phil, here's a random question and a slight thread hijack... But you would be the one to ask.
I am thinking of mounting a Scangauge II into the back of the coin holder by the defrost vents. Is there any room behind the coin holder for me to sink the gauge there and mount it? I think I would need about 2-3 inches of room behind it.
Thanks,
Lauren

This Thread is getting a bit long-winded for the Tech Section so I've Posted my reply in the KK Discussion Section:

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=77810

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, I finally was able to remove the steering column (3+ hours) Thursday, and Saturday the complete dash (5+ hours). I was able to remove the heater core along with the blend and mode door assembly without disconnecting the A/C lines.
Not a difficult process but so many wires to disconnect and individual parts to remove. Almost boggles the mind.
Again, flying by the seat of my pants and referencing this Forum for disassembly info. Thanks to Diggerfreek for the posts and other info. I hope I can get the replacement heater core and reassemble before I forget what goes where.

Heater core has 1 hole in the center with no visual/noticeable cause for the leak.

I will try to post a complete "How To - Heater Core Replacement" when reassembled.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:46 am 
LOST Member

a 2009 with a shot heater core already? yikes! I will keep my eye on mine too

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Interesting. I just came on here to see what I could find about KK heater core failure. I, too have a 2009 Libby that seems to be having a heater core leak. I haven't confirmed it yet, but my wife is reporting an antifreeze smell when running the heater.

-SR-

Short Term Wish List:
Hitch receiver & wire harness
General Grabber AT2 245/70R16 tires (as soon as the stockers wear out)
DVD player (for Jr.)

Long Term Wish List:
Lift kit (not sure what size yet)
Bigger tires
Front tow hooks
Skid plates
Rock rails