It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Spark Plug Change
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Diggerfreek wrote:
kevjam79 wrote:
What is the GAP needed for the 3.7L in the 2008 KKs? Thanks in advance.

IIRC, it's .040"

According to Pg 460 in the owners manual, proper gap is .043".

(which means .040 will be fine... im just a stickler for details :lol: )

About to replace mine now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:21 am 
LOST Member

After reading this and a little research on my own im likely to grab these today and do them this week. Any thing i should know? Have? Remember? before i dive in? :JEEPIN:

SkyJacker shocks
General Grabber AT2 tires 245/75/R16
6x E3.48 Dimond fire spark plugs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:19 am 
LOST Newbie

The plug change on the 3.7 is pretty easy. The passenger front coil is a bit tricky to get out because the AC line is there. Take off the AC cap so you have a bit more clearance and rotate the coil 90 degrees.

Actually just disregard what I just typed since it will take you longer trying to visualize what I just said than it'll actually take to figure it out yourself. Just know that it is possible.... don't try removing the compressor or anything.

Set proper gap
Anti-sieze threads (will NOT cause issues unless you haphazardly get it all over the tip of the plug)
Torque properly
Done

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:12 pm 
LOST Member

Okay so i just finished the spark plug change out. It took a lot longer than expected because one of the plugs was jacked up (see pictures) I used the anti seize and for the torque part i tightened them to hand tight and then added a quarter turn. The front passenger one was a pain but i managed to get it out after some cursing and a pair of needle nose pliers. While i was in there i found out i was low on coolant so i ended up getting some and adding it! Thanks for the how to, was awesome inspiration!

I Average 16mpg as of now, i only have 11k miles on the jeep so im not to far along..i will post again a little down the road with updated mileage.

Should look like

Did look Like

Good (left) and Bad (right) together

I know the pictures are hard to see but the section just below the whit ceramic is compressed..once i got it threaded i couldn't tighten it down cause it no longer fit into the wrench.

SkyJacker shocks
General Grabber AT2 tires 245/75/R16
6x E3.48 Dimond fire spark plugs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:17 pm 
LOST Member

just changed mine. went with the autolite double platinum b/c of the mail in rebate.

i had about 30200 miles on the original plugs. the gaps had grown to a little over .050 on all 6 of them.

gapped the new plugs to .043 [1.09 mm] as it says to do on page 451 of the 2009 KK manual. i cant find any sticker in the bay saying what the gap should be. i used a tiny amount of anti-seize on the top half of the threads, but to be honest, removal of the original plugs was not as hard as others made it out to be (maybe someone pulled my plugs in the past to check them?). I just used a standard 3/8" socket wrench (7"-8" long?). Re-torqued them to 20 ft-lbs with the trusty 3/8" Kobalt torque wrench.

i also did not have any problem with the front passenger plug. seemed there was a perfect little pocked to slide my socket down... maybe a longer socket extension would help?

i cant really tell if there is a difference or not. i may be feeling some placebo affects just because i'm feeling and listening for some sort of change. just another step in making my used jeep my own. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone, Im a long time creeper but first time poster here.
I was in the process of doing this today thinking it would be a piece of cake and got stuffed after not being able to remove the bolts fastening down the coils.
I can unbolt them to the point where they just spin but can not remove them to remove the coil.
I noticed that, unlike the pictures provided in this how to, I need to loosen a bolt head not a nut to remove the coil packs...
Can anybody help? I hate that this is my first post on this wonderful forum! Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Hi and welcome! There are a lot of good knowledgeable folks on here to help in situations just like this. I did my plugs not too long ago and referenced this same thread! As I remember there was a nut to loosen like in the pictures here, not a bolt... But I have an '08. Maybe this has changed in the newer models. I think that if your bolt is spinning freely, though, you should be able to pull up on the ignition coil and it will come loose. The coils snap onto the top of the spark plugs pretty strongly, so they won't just lift off without applying a little bit of force.

One other thing to consider before replacing your plugs is that most folks have found that plain old champion copper core plugs work better than platinums or fancy E3's in our engines (no offense to the OP, who did a fantastic writeup).

Good luck! --LFH

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the response LFH!
I am surprised this has not been brought up before but, it appears they changed the ignition setup a little in 09'. Like I stated, there are bolts holding down each coil pack, not a nut. Also, there are only three coil packs instead of six. The passenger side just has spark plug wires running to the spark plugs. Here is a picture for everyone to reference (excuse the dirt :? )...

I have not tried it yet but, I read in another jeep forum that there is a bushing at the bottom of the bolt so, you really need to tug on it. The member of the other forum suggested using pliers to yank it out since that is what he did. I wish I knew this earlier because after not being able to easily pull the bolt completely out, I decided to pull the coil pack hoping the bolt would coming with it like LFH suggested. The result was a blood blister on my finger from being pinch between the coil pack that popped off and the bolt head that didn't budge :banghead:

I will take some more pictures and give an update after trying this out. Can't hurt to add more information to this HOW TO!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Dewphy you were informed correctly. I have changed the plugs on my 2010 and wires. When you loosen the bolt you need to tug on the coil pack and the bolt comes with the coil pack. When removed you can see that the bolt is sandwiched into the housing. When I reinstalled them I had to tap the bolt lightly with a mallet for it to sit straight before threading it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Your guys were correct. After loosing up the bolt I just had to tug and wiggle the coil pack a bit and eventually the bolt popped out. I guess I was afraid of breaking something not knowing exactly what was at the other end of the bolt but, should have known the Jeep is no chump!

Thanks for the How-To Mike08Liberty and the input of LFH and VegasDragger45!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Howdy, I am a newbie to the site but far from a newbie in the automotive world. I recently was able to get under the hood and swap out my plugs since my kk has been running like poo. I pulled the plugs (my kk is an 08 andhas 27k miles, but spent 2 and a half years in the dominican republic) and the gap was a 55. Now I understand why its been running like poo. So anywho I picked up some NGK copper v-power (I have run these plugs in many vehicles with success) and the computer at autozone stated the gap should be at 35. I am a bit confused because ive read that they should be at 40 and several people run em at 43-45. I didnt realize this till after I installed and did a test run (ran muuch better than it did when I bought it). SO my question for all of yall is what is the official gap it is supposed to be at. The whole job took maybe 35 mins so adjustment wouldnt be a problem, but i dont see the point to change it if it runs great at 35. Any help would be awesome.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cowboytk wrote:
Howdy, I am a newbie to the site but far from a newbie in the automotive world. I recently was able to get under the hood and swap out my plugs since my kk has been running like poo. I pulled the plugs (my kk is an 08 andhas 27k miles, but spent 2 and a half years in the dominican republic) and the gap was a 55. Now I understand why its been running like poo. So anywho I picked up some NGK copper v-power (I have run these plugs in many vehicles with success) and the computer at autozone stated the gap should be at 35. I am a bit confused because ive read that they should be at 40 and several people run em at 43-45. I didnt realize this till after I installed and did a test run (ran muuch better than it did when I bought it). SO my question for all of yall is what is the official gap it is supposed to be at. The whole job took maybe 35 mins so adjustment wouldnt be a problem, but i dont see the point to change it if it runs great at 35. Any help would be awesome.

In the grand scheme of things, you're only talking about .005". A little less than the thickness of two pieces of notebook paper. Probably not much concern but .055 is. I'd leave it since they're already in but NEVER trust Autozone for technical info, they've sent me the wrong direction more than once. Check your owners manual, it's always more accurate.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:29 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

The owners manual says .043
The ngk vpower p# ZFR6F-11G are pre gapped to .044 but should still be checked.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. I just found my owners manual. Also the ngks were pre gapped to .44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks everyone for all the useful information on this. Took me under an hour on my 2010 KK. Probably the easiest plug change I have ever done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:52 am 
LOST Junkie

I would want to do performance spark plugs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ted15 wrote:
cowboytk wrote:

In the grand scheme of things, you're only talking about .005". A little less than the thickness of two pieces of notebook paper. Probably not much concern but .055 is. I'd leave it since they're already in but NEVER trust Autozone for technical info, they've sent me the wrong direction more than once. Check your owners manual, it's always more accurate.

Ain't that the truth.. Auto Zone is like asking a third grader about what's best for your vehicle. Always the wrong answer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Not to bump this on you guys. Wanna say thanks for the info but had some questions. I have a 2010 liberty sport. Was going to do a ton of mods I've learned aren't worth the cash. So I am going for performance + mpg. Here is for sure what I'm ordering.

Hypertech eco
4.7 TB (off an 08 Cherokee)
K&N 77 series Intake
Denso performance wires
*NGK V-Power plugs*????
255/70/r16x8.5" (stock ride height still) already have wheels.

Now my biggest question is some people say nickle some say copper. What is the absolute best plug I can buy for performance + mpg for a 2010 KK?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:35 pm 
LOST Member

Alot of good info on here I did not see how many miles you guys recommend to change plugs?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:39 pm 
LOST Addict

ajdrummer wrote:
Alot of good info on here I did not see how many miles you guys recommend to change plugs?

Every 15-20K.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms