It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Extend Breathers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Here are the photos of the installed breather hose extensions as promised.

Front end, three hoses tacked to firewall on existing studs:

The two hoses on the left are for the transmission and transfer case. I forget which is which but one has a pink/red plastic cap, whereas the other is white. The one hose on the right with the circular black cap is the front differential breather hose.

Closeups of the transmission and T-case hose extensions:
Left, pink/red cap:

Middle, white cap:

Where both of those hose extensions are spliced to the originals: back behind the engine between the engine and the firewall:

Closeups of the front diff hose extension:
Right, black circular cap:

The place to find that hose is down under some wires near the bottom of the battery. The circular black end is clipped to the metal subframe there, but can be easily disengaged. Look between the battery and the power steering reservoir.

The battery is the rectangular object in the top right of the photo, and you're looking towards it from the passenger's side. The fuse box is to the top left in the photo. Under the wire harness, you'll see the shiny metal hose clamps at the location I spliced the extension onto the oem hose. Run this extension to the rear, zip tying it to other parallel hoses along the way.

Closeups of the rear diff breather hose extension:
The oem hose originates to the left of the diff, on the top of the axle housing. Here it is in the center of the photo, and runs up, then right.

After that it is tacked to the underside of the floor in front of the metal crossmember. This is the lowest breather on the Jeep and the most susceptible during a water crossing. You're going to replace it with a longer hose that goes through the hole in the crossmember and back along the gas tank inlet hose, and up to get more height.

You'll see I zip tied the breather to the gas tank inlet hose for support, but I left plenty of flexible hose extension between the crossmember and the axle. This is important because when your axle drops in off-camber situations offroad, you don't want the diff breather hose tugging on your gas tank hose! Give it plenty of slack so it can move with the axle.

Here you can see the breather hose and tank inlet hose from the vantage point of the driver's side rear wheel well. The breather is the one to the left, closest to the shock absorber.

Looks like I have a bit more rust than I used to. :lol: It's almost 10 years old now!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997