It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: performance chip
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:15 am 
LOST Newbie

has anyone ever used one of those self proclaimed performance chips that say up to 35 horsepower and more mileage on their Libby?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 am 
LOST Junkie

I'd like to know some feedback too. I have inquired to an individual who had one so ill await his response.

Post subject: Re: performance chip
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jckobo wrote:
has anyone ever used one of those self proclaimed performance chips that say up to 35 horsepower and more mileage on their Libby?

If you're talking about the $69.99 one, I bought one not long after my KK and found out that it's nothing more than a resistor of something that PERMANTLY attaches to the temperature sensor and tricks the ECM by making it think the air is colder changing the way the engine operates. I never put it on because I wouldn't be able to remove it and have the dealer not see where it was voiding the warranty. I still have it, fifty bucks and it's yours. Brand new, never installed. Personally, I think it's a waste of money and I'm sorry I bought it.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ted15 wrote:
jckobo wrote:

If you're talking about the $69.99 one, I bought one not long after my KK and found out that it's nothing more than a resistor of something that PERMANTLY attaches to the temperature sensor and tricks the ECM by making it think the air is colder changing the way the engine operates. I never put it on because I wouldn't be able to remove it and have the dealer not see where it was voiding the warranty. I still have it, fifty bucks and it's yours. Brand new, never installed. Personally, I think it's a waste of money and I'm sorry I bought it.

I snapped some pics of it

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow just 2 wires. My neighbors son designed something for GM modified engines. I've seen some being made all have more than 2 wires. I've asked the use and name but they have never given me an answer. I should sneak in the garage and snap some pics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cherrie 274 wrote:
Wow just 2 wires. My neighbors son designed something for GM modified engines. I've seen some being made all have more than 2 wires. I've asked the use and name but they have never given me an answer. I should sneak in the garage and snap some pics.

This thing is totally not what they advertised. I was supposed to return it after I called them out but sadly I misplaced it and found it after it was too late to return it. All it does is manipulate the signal from one of the sensors, not really a performance chip.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:26 pm 
LOST Addict

I've got the Hypertech Max Energy programmer and love it.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Gageraid wrote:

I have the Hypertech on my 2008 JK and really like it. However, around 2011 Chrysler started encrypting the codes on most of their vehicles so there are no programmers for the KK.

There is the Jet Stage 1 (and Stage 2 if you like high-octane prices) plug-in programmer that taps into the ECM. Has anybody tried that?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AZJeeper wrote:
Gageraid wrote:

I have the Hypertech on my 2008 JK and really like it. However, around 2011 Chrysler started encrypting the codes on most of their vehicles so there are no programmers for the KK.

There is the Jet Stage 1 (and Stage 2 if you like high-octane prices) plug-in programmer that taps into the ECM. Has anybody tried that?

There are a few folks that have those and seem to like them. There's one for sale on here in the jeep parts for sale section.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70787
I think he sold his jeep and has no use for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Once we hit some warm weather again, I'll have more detailed information on mileage gains, since this cold weather gives everyone bad mileage, especially me since I have a lot of cold starts since my work and school are barely over a mile away, not giving me a warm engine to get the actual mileage I should be getting. I got the Hypertech towards the end of the warm months just before the cold weather came and was getting constant 20 mpg fill ups from city driving. Now that it's cold, I'm seeing about 17.5 mpg under the same city driving. I'm sure it'll jump back up to 20 or higher when we get the warm weather again, and now that's I've had a year to really learn how to drive the KK.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

Last edited by Gageraid on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gageraid wrote:
Once we hit some warm weather again, I'll have more detailed information on mileage gains, since this cold weather gives everyone bad mileage, especially me since I have a lot of cold starts since my work and school are barely over a mile away, not giving me a warm engine to get the actual mileage I should be getting. I got the Hypertech towards the end of the warm months just before the cold weather came and was getting constant 20 mpg fill ups from city driving. Now that it's cold, I'm seeing about 17.5 mpg under the sane city driving. I'm sure it'll jump back up to 20 or higher when we get the warm weather again, and now that's I've had a year to really learn how to drive the KK.

Are you watching your evic or doing the math when you get gas? Is your speedometer calibrated for your tires? I ask because I have never seen higher that 16 mpg with mine. :dizzy:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:15 am 
LOST Addict

Ted15 wrote:
Gageraid wrote:
Once we hit some warm weather again, I'll have more detailed information on mileage gains, since this cold weather gives everyone bad mileage, especially me since I have a lot of cold starts since my work and school are barely over a mile away, not giving me a warm engine to get the actual mileage I should be getting. I got the Hypertech towards the end of the warm months just before the cold weather came and was getting constant 20 mpg fill ups from city driving. Now that it's cold, I'm seeing about 17.5 mpg under the sane city driving. I'm sure it'll jump back up to 20 or higher when we get the warm weather again, and now that's I've had a year to really learn how to drive the KK.

Are you watching your evic or doing the math when you get gas? Is your speedometer calibrated for your tires? I ask because I have never seen higher that 16 mpg with mine. :dizzy:

I don't have EVIC. I do the math when I get gas. Miles driven divided by gallons taken to fill. Every fill up is extremely close to empty so I'd say it's pretty accurate. I'm 100 percent calibrated since I'm all stock. I have wheel spacers on all four tires, but I don't think that changes anything with the speedo.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms