It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear wheel problem, can't figure it out - help?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 am 
LOST Newbie

I've got a 2008 KK that has developed a rear wheel noise and occasional other sound that I can't seem to figure out. I've taken it to a local shop and also a Pep Boys shop and neither could find the problem.

Basically it's a squeaking noise coming from the rear passenger side wheel. It's repetitive, increasing with frequency as I drive faster, slower as I slow down, and it stops entirely when I apply the brakes. It's not the brake wear indicator, the brakes are actually in decent shape.

Also, when I brake into a right-hand turn, I sometimes hear a "clunk" sound from that wheel. Like something is shifting back there.

The first shop I took it to said it was an e-brake problem, they replaced some corroded parts and thought that would do it. It didn't. The Pep Boys shop couldn't find anything wrong with the wheel, brakes, rotors, etc. It all checked out fine.

Anyone else experienced something like this? I know it's tough to diagnose a mechanical problem without seeing/hearing the issue, but at this point I'm desperate. I hesitate to take it to another shop and spend more money on diagnostics if it's just going to be another dead-end.

Post subject: Re: Rear wheel problem, can't figure it out - help?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:31 am 
LOST Addict

Could it be one of the spider gears in your diff? If you're close to servicing the rear diff might as well anyways.

Post subject: Re: Rear wheel problem, can't figure it out - help?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had this same problem...have you looked under your jeep? Mine was coming from the back right, was constantly there, sped up as I went faster, slowed down as I went slower...turns out my heat cover under my car has came loose and was rubbing on my drive shaft...which was somehow hitting my exhaust and that is what that clinking was. I honestly thought my exhaust was gonna fall off. Hope that helps, could be something totally different, but take a look under. Mines a 2008 if that helps.