SUBSEQUENT CLEARANCE: Nada
KK Lifted Amount & Type: NONE

Post subject: Re: KK Wheel & Tire Section
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Stock 18'' wheels
No lift
Nitto Terra Grapplers: 255/60-18

I'm still in AFG, but I had the g/f take it to the tire shop today just to see what it'd look like. She said it rubbed a little, I definitely believe her. Won't be driven again until it goes to the shop for the lift. Just ordered the OME 1.5'' from JBA.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

wolverine wrote:
Diameter x Width
16x8

Wheel Backspacing
5" = 13mm offset

Wheel Manufacturer
Black Rock Lobo

Tire Specs
LT245/75/R16 (approx 30.5" diameter)

Tire Brand-Model
Goodyear Duratrac

Subsequent Clearance
No rub at all noticed so far

Lift-Amount
JBA 2.5" Adjust-a-strut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

15x8
backspacing is 3.71 or something around there
Wrapped in 32/11.5r15 tires
Had this set up on daystar lift and on my current 4.5 lift just needed bumper trimming I did more then needed and pinch welds to be flattened

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a stock 2010 kk with firestone destination a/t tires 235/70/16. About a 29" diameter.
Considering the skyjacker 2" spacer lift kkn25. Only periodic or low difficulty off roading planned. Only about $350 w/shocks.
Based on post, a 245/75/16 or a 30.5" tire would work well with a 2" spacer set up and have no rub?

I am confident using the spacer on the rear axle. Any feedback from users with the skyjacker or the daystar spacer lift on front. If set up properly, steering and on road handling should be normal, with appropriate tire?

Anybody have experience with the 2.5 -3" full suspension coil replacement lift made by skyjacker(skylib258kh) About $850 for the kit. Would this allow a 265/75/16 or 31.5" tire with no rub?
Appreciate any input, considering purchase in next month or so...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:05 am 
LOST Addict

Hi Steve, and welcome to LOST. Lifting the Liberty 2 inches is a good stance and yes, it can fir 245/75/R16 tires. If you wanted to go to 265/75/R16's, you would need a 4 inch lift (or a 3.5 inch lift and a lot of cutting) plus a regear to 4.10 or 4.56 to account for the loss of power and gas mileage. Sticking with a 2 inch lift and 245 eliminates the need for a regear, as well as the need for more expensive components like a rear track bar and upper control arms on the front.

How you get to 2+ inches makes all the difference. Spacer lifts not only ride rough, but actually quickly kill your front springs and shocks because they put an extra load on the springs even when sitting still (regardless of whether you offroad or not). I can't even guess how many people who started out that way because they were "inexpensive" regretted their decision. Things get so bad that within a year most had to purchase new springs and shocks and get a full spring lift anyway. So, no Daystar, Skyjacker, or the like.

A full spring lift is the way to go. However, Skyjacker does not have a good reputation among the Liberty crowd and you should avoid it. For about the same price as the Skyjacker kit you listed, you could get an OME (Old Man Emu) full spring lift including 4 springs and shocks. OME has a reputation for improving the ride and lasting a long time. I have never read a post from someone who wished they hadn't gone with OME. There are many brands out there claiming to have good lift kits for the Liberty, but really OME is the only one that lives up to it. Ironman is also a good brand, although I think they sell a kit for the 2002-07 KJ Liberty and don't have rear springs for the KK. Their front springs and shocks will work on a KK. The very best lift kits for the Liberty are made by Jeepin By Al (JBA), although those are getting into more money. I have a JBA lift and it's a huge improvement over stock.

Hope this helps. Read lots of posts about lift kits and ask lots of questions. Cheers,
Lauren

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the detailed response Lauren !
Not looking to make extensive modification so the 245/75/16 or 30.5" and a 2 " lift is the way to go.The 30.5 gets .75" of height under the rear axle?
I would have spend more money on performance . The full spring replacement kit by OME or skyjacker seams logical. The flaw of the spacers is they tighten up the springs at rest?
Regards. ,
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Steveybnj wrote:
Not looking to make extensive modification so the 245/75/16 or 30.5" and a 2 " lift is the way to go.The 30.5 gets .75" of height under the rear axle?
I would have spend more money on performance . The full spring replacement kit by OME or skyjacker seams logical. The flaw of the spacers is they tighten up the springs at rest?
Regards. ,
Steve

You are welcome. Yes, you would get 3/4 inch under the rear diff by running 245/75/16's. However, the rest of the Jeep would be 2.5 + 3/4 inches higher with an OME lift kit, so you get that much extra room under the front axle and better break over angles because of more height directly under the vehicle. It makes a big difference. Again, almost all of us on LOST recommend OME for a 2.5 inch lift (even though it is advertised as 1.5 inches, it actually gives you more). Few people have posted positive experiences with Daystar, Skyjacker, Rock Krawler, Rough Country, Rocky Road Outfitters, Teraflex, and others like them. Spacer lifts may get by on a solid axle Wrangler, but they don't work well on an independent front suspension Liberty. An OME, Ironman, or JBA full suspension lift will actually improve the Liberty's ride and last longer too. Better to do it right the first time and save money and aggravation in the long run.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Steveybnj wrote:
Regards. ,
Steve

welcome to the form!

I have the kkn25. as stated by lauren, the spacers destroy your suspension. you'll end up spending more money on the spacers then you would doing so on a spring lift. all of my springs after less then a year of lift are already shot and my shocks are basically done for. a spacer lift is temporary at best. no more then a couple of weeks.

I wished I would have known this before I installed the spacers. I had them installed before I was part of the fourm here. learned my lesson, and I hope no one else follows suit.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:27 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Steveybnj wrote:
Regards. ,
Steve

NO on the Skyjacker, same spring rate as stock and yes they will sag over time just like the stock springs do
OME all the way
( ran OME for 100,000, sagged less than 3/4 of an inch )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:19 am 
LOST Addict

Lauren hit the nail on the head. Just to add a bit, OME 927/731 combo gets 2.5" and can be brought up to 3" if you want a little more. Anything over 3" and you need a-arms which is big money. You can save a little by going with OME springs and Bilstein shocks.

Also with tires, not all tires are created equal, some brands run big others run small. Generally most 265/75-16s are 32s, and a few 245/75-16s are closer to 31s.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just wanted to thank you all on the above. I will update w some pics, the iPhone won't let me attach?
Thank you for steering me away from spacers and recommending the right tire size. i ended up with cooper at3 245/75/16. I did not want to start with gearing so 30.5" is fine. They are great on road and more agressive then the destination a/t.

As far as the lift, I clicked on the skyjacker 2.5 platinum series full coil lift w hydro shocks.
The manufacturer front struts were rusty and spacers would have been a huge mistake. The 4 manufacturer springs at 5 years old had no sag. Looked factory fresh and actually felt quilty removing. Overall about 3.75" tire and lift combined.
So far I love the on road ride ! I hit a power line trail and then some mud / stone and could not be happier. Over time I think the lift will settle in height. For me the combination of the 2 works. It is a daily driver , maybe light off roading here and there. I am sure the OME nitro charger system is more hardcore and a perfect choice. I have no plans to add weight or a winch. settled in between , tossed the idea of the skyjacker kkn25 spacer kit and for $500 more got what I wanted.
Regards
SB

Post subject: KK Wheel & Tire Section
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wheel Size: 16 in ZJ wheels

Tire: 245/70R16 Dynapro ATM

Clearance: no rub

Lift: stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:00 pm 

bob4diapers wrote:
Wheel Size: 16 in ZJ wheels

Tire: 245/70R16 Dynapro ATM

Clearance: no rub

Lift: stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look good Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wheel Size: 16 Inch JK Steel

Tires Size: 245/70R16 Cooper Discover AT3

Clearance: No rubbing under any condition

Lift: No Lift / 1.25” Wheel Adapters to fit 5x5 Pattern

I’d love to post a pic I took with my iPad but have no idea how to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 pm 

Chuckblair23 wrote:

Why did you go to JK wheels and spacers when there are lots of KJ and KK wheels around ? Just curious ??

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 pm 

Chuckblair23 wrote:

Why did you go to JK wheels and spacers when there are lots of KJ and KK wheels around ? Just curious ??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:30 am 
LOST Newbie

A couple of reasons. First the Steel JK wheels have the look I am going for and they are widely available for next to nothing on Craigslist as the Wrangler owners don't seem to want them. I bought two sets (1 set for the use and the other set for the spare) for a total of $50. Also, with the 1.25" spacers / adapters it pushes the tires out just slightly allowing for a nicer profile and stance with the 245/70R16 Tires with no rubbing even without the lift. It really makes for a nice look, similar to how the stock steel wheel look on Cherokee XJ's.

I'd post a pic but I can't figure out how to do it. I'd email someone my images if they can post them??