It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: KK Detours Backbone Winch Plate How-To
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Glad to help.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:18 am 
LOST Member

I wonder if there would be any way to add extra spacers to this system that would prevent you from having to cut so much out of the bumper? I would think that it would be much better to simply cut a few round bolt holes or slits in the bumper than to have to slice out that giant hunk of plastic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wearyman wrote:
I wonder if there would be any way to add extra spacers to this system that would prevent you from having to cut so much out of the bumper? I would think that it would be much better to simply cut a few round bolt holes or slits in the bumper than to have to slice out that giant hunk of plastic.

Nope. That giant hunk is actually the minimum. It actually bolts dircctly to the crossmember and uniframe.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 am 
LOST Member

Ted15 wrote:
Wearyman wrote:

Nope. That giant hunk is actually the minimum. It actually bolts dircctly to the crossmember and uniframe.

Well that's what I mean. Use longer bolts with spacers to move the entire backbone system outside the bumper so you only have bolts running through the plastic. Based on your pictures it looks like it only bolts on from the front (IE: It doesn't wrap around the bumper so there is only one dimension to adjust for) so wouldn't it just be a matter of longer bolts and some extra spacers?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wearyman wrote:
Ted15 wrote:
Wearyman wrote:

Well that's what I mean. Use longer bolts with spacers to move the entire backbone system outside the bumper so you only have bolts running through the plastic. Based on your pictures it looks like it only bolts on from the front (IE: It doesn't wrap around the bumper so there is only one dimension to adjust for) so wouldn't it just be a matter of longer bolts and some extra spacers?

That's a lot of stress on the bolts, the first angular pull will snap them right off or they'd bend causing a bunch of damage. The hole really isn't that bad. You don't see it because of the winch plate, it covers it pretty well. Having the three flat plates bolted together adds a tremendous amount of strength. Moving the winch plate forward 3" with longer bolts and spacers will take almost all of the angular strength away.
This thing is super strong and can be used as a starting point for a steel bumper.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Were you thinking about adding one?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:14 pm 
LOST Member

Ted15 wrote:

Just considering my options.

I like the price point of the backbone, but the thought of having to slice up my bumper is something of a deterrent to me. I may want to return it to stock some day, and if the bumper is all cut up that's not possible.

At the same time, the various replacement bumpers offered out there are just a tad spendy for me right now (Just recently got a new job after being downsized out of my old job after the new year.) Especially when you consider that I am also looking to do a lift and a tire upgrade this spring.

I may end up simply having a local guy fab up something similar to Atthehelm's recovery bar just so I have some front tow points, and look into a full winch bumper further down the road.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wearyman wrote:
Ted15 wrote:

Just considering my options.

I like the price point of the backbone, but the thought of having to slice up my bumper is something of a deterrent to me. I may want to return it to stock some day, and if the bumper is all cut up that's not possible.

At the same time, the various replacement bumpers offered out there are just a tad spendy for me right now (Just recently got a new job after being downsized out of my old job after the new year.) Especially when you consider that I am also looking to do a lift and a tire upgrade this spring.

I may end up simply having a local guy fab up something similar to Atthehelm's recovery bar just so I have some front tow points, and look into a full winch bumper further down the road.

I saw the bumper skins kinda cheap at around forty bucks but I don't remember where. If you think you'll be returning it to stock someday, pick up a second one, paint it and cut it up instead of your stock one. I was looking for a steel bumper when I added this to mine but nobody had one available. This thing is super strong, I got into a little fender bender with it on and destroyed the passenger door on an escape without any more damage than a few scratches.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Had a chat with detours via email. They said that they actually deleted the short spacers that go inside the frame on the side of the brackets and the associated fasteners. So may want to update this thread to reflect that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Travis85904 wrote:
Had a chat with detours via email. They said that they actually deleted the short spacers that go inside the frame on the side of the brackets and the associated fasteners. So may want to update this thread to reflect that.

You just did :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 pm 
LOST Member

eoerikson3 wrote:
Ted15 wrote:
eoerikson3 wrote:
Does this install require removing the front tow hooks? I was looking through the pictures and it looks like the bracket may interfere with the hooks. I may also be confused by the pictures as well. LOL Thanks for the write up.

You will lose your tow hooks but you will gain two shackle mounts. One on either side of the winch and below the mounting plate.
I didn't have any shackles installed in these pics but the mounting holes are visible.

Thanks for the reply and info. This may end up being what I do for mine.

I like it a lot, do you think this will interfere with the ATH recovery system? Can I have both installed without one interfering with the other?
I'll appreciate your comments/thoughts.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You'd probably have to choose. The backbone is very strong. You don't need both anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:34 pm 
LOST Member

Ted15 wrote:
You'd probably have to choose. The backbone is very strong. You don't need both anyway.

I got pictures of both systems installed and looks like the Detour Backbone is just seating on top of the bumper and the ATH recovery system is lower.
Check pictures

I Like the ATH hitch option

Maybe they can be installed together with minimal modifications

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I assure you, the backbone is not just sitting in top of the bumper. There's a lot going on behind that plastic. It bolts to the cross member and where the tow hooks go which is also where the ATH system bolts up. You can lift your jeep with a crane, that was the strength test at detoures.

If you want a winch but not a bumper, the backbone is the way to go. You could even make a bumper out of it if you want.
If you want a winch bumper, ATH makes a pretty nice one.

It's up to you, but the backbone is a better choice, unless you put on a bumper.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 pm 
LOST Member

Anybody knows if this company went out of business?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Bump

Old thread, but is there any way of getting a hold of one of these Winch plates? I thought i saw somewhere that the guy still makes them but you have to message him or something...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:02 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

JethroBodine wrote:
Bump

Old thread, but is there any way of getting a hold of one of these Winch plates? I thought i saw somewhere that the guy still makes them but you have to message him or something...

He is on Facebook, but last I heard not making any more of them