It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New TPMS for 2010
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recently ran into a bit of a run-around trying to order a new wheel/tire setup for my 2010 KK.

Here is the problem. My Jeep came with the 18" Chrome-Clad Limited style wheels. I wanted to put some 16's on it so that I had a wider selection of A/T tires. And I wanted to leave the stock wheels/tires intact.

I figured it would be an easy matter to order some MOPAR or aftermarket TPMS sensors to drop in the new wheels. It might cost a little more, but I would have 2 good sets of wheels and tires. Not so...

If you look up the sensors for the 2010 Liberty on the aftermarket sites Oro-tek, Dill, Schrader or Dorman you will find that that they either don't carry them at all or they list more than one. I decided I should find the part number that the stealership had listed for my VIN and work backward from there.

I tried both local dealers and they both resulted in the same thing. When I gave them my VIN they had 2 different MOPAR part numbers for TPMS sensors and they didn't know what the difference was between the 2. So they may both work or I may get the wrong ones. I even had one of them ask me what the P/N was on the the ones I had. I thought to myself, "does this guy really thing that I unmounted a wheel, took the tire off, looked at the P/N embossed on the sensor and then called him to ask the P/N."

I pretty much gave up at that point until I stumbled onto one of the LOST posts that mentioned they thought they may be switching to rubber valves instead of metal. I took a look at mine and sure enough, mine were rubber. So I called the dealer back and asked them to pull both matching part numbers and to tell me which one was rubber.

That was the key. If you have the new rubber valve stems, you need P/N 56029479AA (at least until they change it again)

Now you just have to find them. My nearby dealers only had 1 in stock and wanted $47/each for them. I ended up finding them at mopar-wholesale.com, they didn't even have them listed, but I called them up and Bobby was more than happy to add it. So they are available there now for $31, just to a P/N search. The aftermarket places don't make a replacement yet, but they know they are out there. Hopefully they will start soon.

I was also concerned that I was going to need a special magnet or have to find some special reset proceedure to turn on the new sensors. Or worse yet, I might have to take it to the dealer to have them make the change in the computer. Rest assured, I needed none of the above. I simply took off the old wheels and put on the new ones with the new sensors installed. At first they all read 30psi. After about 2-3 miles, they reset and read the actual pressure. Not even a single idiot light or ding, seamless transition.

I really hope this saves someone else the trouble I went through.

Post subject: Re: New TPMS for 2010
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Good info