It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For those with the Daystar Kit...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I am 99% sure I will be doing the Daystar Kit in the near future and I was wondering from those who have done it...

1) It doesn't seem to need new shocks in the rear but is it recommended to do new shocks and if so what size would you recommend to go with?

2) Everything I have read seems to suggest that it actually does keep a pretty similar ride quality to stock. Is this what you have experienced?

3) Did you install it yourself or did you take it to a shop?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Post subject: Re: For those with the Daystar Kit...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

my ride felt the same, i still have the original shocks on back. once i got larger tires/wheels i only feel like a slight power loss to get up to speed. i'm going to upgrade the exhaust to help that out, but as far as the ride is seems the same. i had a mechanic buddy of mine help me. he had a wall mounted spring compressor so it was pretty simple, just took about 6 hours. we weren't in a hurry tho. i'm really happy with the results.

2" Daystar lift
Boyd Coddington 16 X 8's
Firestone Destination 265/70/R16's
Magnaflow Exhaust

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

just installed mine over the weekend.. had some hickups along the way.. ended up trying to hook up my front endlink on an angle.. stripped/cross threaded the spindle... so i had to buy a tap and clean it up..

took about 6 hours with hickups working casually..

the ride seems pretty darned close to stock.. looks great.. alot more clearance now.

1) I haven't gotten new shocks yet, but will soon.. soo easy to replace them anyway.

2) as stated above, in the first 200 miles of driving, seems darn close to stock, i don't even realize its lifted. around corners it seems to be a little less stable, but that makes sense with the spacer lift.

3) installed it with a buddy in my car port, using the stock jack with some jack stands (my low profile jack didn't go high enough) The front we had some hiccups with the rental spring compressors, not compressing them enough, but that was it.

The directions say to remove the clevis from the strut, but we left it on, no need to remove it.

The rear lift is SUPER freaking easy. We did the rear in about 30 minutes.. The bolts on the rear end links were a huge pain in the booty for me though.

I would do this yourself, if everything goes smoothly and you have all the tools handy, could take less than 4 hours easily. The front is just a little more extensive (remove battery, remove power module, remove air box.

I was quoted between 200-230$ to install it at a shop and glad i saved the cash.. even with the hiccups I had, it was still well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:11 am 
LOST Member

I just ordered a daystar kit yesterday. My friend that is the manager of the local GCR Shop offered to help out at the shop, using all their tools and the lifts as well. We took a look at it last night, so he knows what we're up against. He's thinking 3aybe 4 hours. we work well together, so i'm thinking that's doable. Hopefully everything goes well, i'll update once we have this done, hopefully next tuesday.

will also be installing new rubber and Spidertrax spacers at the same time. he's offered to let me try a few different sizes and see if they rub or not. unfortunately, it'll be late/dark, so i'll do my best to get pics inside and post the results. We'll be trying 245's, 255's, and even 265's. just for kicks, to see what will fit and what wont.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

devlish wrote:
I just ordered a daystar kit yesterday. My friend that is the manager of the local GCR Shop offered to help out at the shop, using all their tools and the lifts as well. We took a look at it last night, so he knows what we're up against. He's thinking 3aybe 4 hours. we work well together, so i'm thinking that's doable. Hopefully everything goes well, i'll update once we have this done, hopefully next tuesday.

will also be installing new rubber and Spidertrax spacers at the same time. he's offered to let me try a few different sizes and see if they rub or not. unfortunately, it'll be late/dark, so i'll do my best to get pics inside and post the results. We'll be trying 245's, 255's, and even 265's. just for kicks, to see what will fit and what wont.

ANY RESULTS FROM YOUR EXPERIMENT??? I'm planning myself a daystar lift and 265/70/R17....?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:35 pm 
LOST Member

does this lift level out the vehicle a bit? ive seen a couple where they were slightly smaller in the back s as to remove the rake of the vehicle.

SkyJacker shocks
General Grabber AT2 tires 245/75/R16
6x E3.48 Dimond fire spark plugs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:41 pm 
LOST Member

VenezuelanKK2008 wrote:
ANY RESULTS FROM YOUR EXPERIMENT??? I'm planning myself a daystar lift and 265/70/R17....?

sorry, just saw this now. but keep in mind, i've got a KJ, not a KK. so this probably will not help you at all.... thought i'd post anyways though...
ended up with the 255.70.16's and 1.5" wheel spacers. the pinchweld rubs a little only when in reverse, and just the plastic it seems. i heated it with a heat gun and melted it down and reshaped it, it's not too bad at all now. the front had a lot of rubbing, pulling on the little lip down there in reverse quite a bit. i ended up cutting off 4" of that lip, and reshaping the front of the fender liner as well with the heat gun. on flat surfaces, there is absolutely no rubbing in the front at all anymore. haven't had a chance to really test it while on an incline, but if there is, it' won't be much... i made sure to cut away a little extra, and when i reshaped the liner with the heat gun, i went a little further than necessary as well.

I think with slightly less spacer (spidertrax 1.25") the 265's would've been fine. but mine are 1.5" so i'll never know, and stuck with the 255's. they look very nice to me, and i'm extremely pleased with the look now!