It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help needed with '09 KK rear window leak problem.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have an '09 Liberty that I bought in May of this year.It had scratches and a chip on the rear hatch glass(probably caused from clearing ice and snow too roughly while it set on the lot waiting to be sold)Anyway the dealer ordered a new glass for me at their expense.It finally arrived last week(after a 4 month wait) and they installed it.It then rained over the next day or so after it was installed and I noticed water streaks inside of the new glass.The dealer then ordered a new rubber seal which was installed on Friday and on the way home I noticed water leaking again so I went back to the dealer and they reinstalled my original scratched glass with the new seal and told me to try that for the weekend to see what takes place,because I don't recall seeing any leaks with my original glass and seal.(Its been raining all weekend and is supposed to continue raining until Monday or Tuesday)When I checked today I still have leaking and will have to call the Dealer on Monday to see what they suggest.Is there an updated seal that will fix the leaks or am I SOL?I will get them to install the new glass on Monday(at least it won't be scratched and chipped and leaking like my old glass is now, but the new glass will probably still leak)Any info from anybody would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Help needed with '09 KK rear window leak problem.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:14 pm 
LOST Member

I have the same problem, its not bad except when it rains in torrential downpours but I live in Houston so thats often. It doesn't leak BAD just enough for me to notice. Let me know if find a fix.

BTW mine's an 2008

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 - Blue
Auto Transmission, Selec-Trac II, 245/70/16 Firestone Destination AT Tires,
Factory Skids, Factory Tow Pkg , Front Tow Hooks, Black Aries Running boards,
Tint all around, Factory Engine block heater, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Receiver Hitch Recovery Point,

www.CardinalSafetyTraining.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

The dealer reinstalled the new glass again today and it still leaks even with the new rubber seal.Then they looked on their computer found and ordered another type of weatherstrip kit that they can stick to the glass itself that apparently contacts the original glass frame rubber to create a better seal and hopefully stop the leak.I'll let you know how it works when it comes and is installed.Has anybody else heard of this fix and does it work?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:34 am 
LOST Newbie

The new weatherstrip kit arrived and is installed.It passed the water hose test that was performed but we'll see how it holds up to rain when it comes.(forecast of rain Tues and Wed of next week)I'll post with rain test results as soon as I am sure if the fix works or not.The kit consists of a strip of U shaped molding with double sided tape on one side.It sticks to the very top edge of the glass and doesn't touch the original frame rubber molding as I thought I might before the kit arrived,but it appears to just move water away from the top of the glass and makes it drain into the channel of the frame molding where it can then properly be drained off.They had a TSB off of the Chrysler Connect Site that they referred to when they installed it,but I forgot to get the TSB number to post.Maybe somebody knows more about it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Just a quick update.We have had rain the last two days and I haven't seen any water leaks since the weather strip kit has been installed.Hopefully it will continue to work and the leak problem is solved.We'll see how it behaves over the winter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have some posts on the exact same issue on here someplace, went back several times and nothing helped out, what finalyl fixed the problems was the wife getting into an accident. All damage was on the front end and nothing on the back end was even touched but it fixed the leaking problem some how.

Granted I now have rust forming on the seal itself on the bottom center of the seal and sometimes the window latch has water in it, but it was not from running down the glass, came around the edge.

2009 Liberty Sport 4x4
Sky Slider
Factory Tow Package
Super Expensive Gutter Screen Grill Inserts
24" of PPF on the front
Factory skids
AEM intake, Scanguage II
Skink Super Sliders, 3/8" Boiler Shims
Stops here for now....baby here!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

is it possible that any of you guy's leak problems may be coming from a bad gasket on the 3rd brake light?

For awhile, I had a leak in the rear caused by the 3rd brake light not fitting correctly, one of the screw's clip/tension/doohickey pieces that snap into the body for you to screw the 3rd brake light in, had come loose allowing water to present itself in two places

it would drip through the rear defrost vent in the roof, and would also streak down the glass

Just a thought, have no exp. with the KK's rear window / 3rd brake light at all but thought i'd throw it in there as something to checkout as those leaks can be a PITA to source out

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:52 pm 
LOST Member

You might be right, the previous owner attempted to replace the 3rd brake light bulb and did a ratty job at replacing it once he got done, I noticed this, fixed it and haven't had a problem since.

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 - Blue
Auto Transmission, Selec-Trac II, 245/70/16 Firestone Destination AT Tires,
Factory Skids, Factory Tow Pkg , Front Tow Hooks, Black Aries Running boards,
Tint all around, Factory Engine block heater, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Receiver Hitch Recovery Point,

www.CardinalSafetyTraining.com