It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mopar Intake?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:40 pm 
What do you think of the Mopar intake? I want an intake but Im torn between the AEM brute and the mopar. The reason Im worried about getting the AEM is because my dealer said it would void my warranty if I put anything non-mopar in that wasnt cosmetic. Is that true? Also, how do the AEM and Mopar compare? What do you have?

I know there is already a topic about Intakes in general but I wanted something more specific.

Post subject: Re: Mopar Intake?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:47 pm 
LOST Addict

I have a K&N intake for sale. :lol:

Honestly all intakes are gonna do about the same thing for you. Over the two you posted I would take an AEM for theb dryflow filter. If you ever had an issue and you had to take it to the dealer the iintake is easy to swap out for the stock one in like 30 minutes or less.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:24 pm 
What would I do with the hose going from my airbox to the radiator? I cant imagine not needing that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:31 pm 
LOST Addict

I left mine there when I had my cold air to bring in air cfrom in front of the grill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:32 pm 
Oh thats smart. What do you have now? Did you go back to the OME?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Went back to stock. There are too many water crossings around here and I think the cold air is more vulnerable to sucking in water. I'm hoping for a snorkel to come out sooner or later.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:26 am 
Is there a noticeable difference with the AEM over stock?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mopar CAI is made buy AEM. I have the Dodge Nitro CAI in my KK. IDK if there is a much improvement I just always wanted a CAI.Easy to change,clean ect.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:52 am 
LOST Newbie

gfox33 -

Couple of answers for you on intakes in general, and then on the specifics of the warranty issue (if its not to late).

First, in most late model vehicles CAI's or "Cold Air Intakes" are popular early modifications due to their low cost and generally emissions friendly status (provided that the EGR valving, returns, etc. are not removed and that the stock MAF is left in place). Most of these units attempt to gain the consumer horsepower by either dropping the IAT (the temperature of the air as it comes into the throttle body) or by increasing the airflow. The first of these options is usually a lost cause. Specifically, without expensive relocation or high end composites to reduce heat soak gaining a cooler IAT is just not practical. Furthermore, the factory's usually do a fairly good job of things in this regard this day in age. The second option is more realistic, but in even the best case scenarios the horsepower and torque gains are minimal. Usually increased airflow is accomplished by incorporating a higher flowing air filter and/or eliminating turbulence and restrictions in the factory intake. In very few cases are intake replacements ever worth the gains that are advertised and the majority of those cases are vehicles which are using some type of boost (supercharger/turbocharger).

Second, the Magnuson-Moss Act prohibits a new car dealer from voiding or refusing warranty repairs unless a specific modification led to the breakage or defect. In the case of CAI's the most common warranty repair is the MAF replacement. Usually this is caused by the over saturation of the rechargeable filter or not letting the recharging oil dry appropriately which in turn frys the MAF (which really is rather sensitive).

The short version is: it looks cool, might get you 5HP on a good day and can last nearly forever with the appropriate maintenance etc. Of course if you soak the filter and fry your MAF, it could also cost you hundreds of $$.

HTH!
Matty

RIP '07 Mustang GT, 11.98 @119 all motor, stock bottom end.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:43 am 
LOST Addict

my K&N is still for sale btw :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:09 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for all the info. My other account (gfox33) stopped working when I tried to change my email so I made a new one (this one). I dont think Im going to get an intake, or at least not for a while. It just doesnt really seem worth it. Im about to have my grille painted, add some lights, a new muffler, and I just got some new AT2s. Basically, Im out of fun money.

-Mopar tow hooks
-Grabber AT2s
-Silverstars
-Resonator Removed