It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: MUFFLER SWAP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:08 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

The muffler I put in is a Thrush Welded, 2.5" center inlet, 2.5" offset outlet. That is the spec on the KK, so if you are using any other brand, you need the same: 2.5" center inlet, 2.5" offset outlet.

Tools: reciprocating saw w metal blade or hacksaw (I used a hacksaw, it wasn't that bad)
Socket/ratchet, 5/8 iirc
Heavy dead blow hammer
3pcs 2.5" u bolt style muffler clamps
2.5" i.d. extension tube, flared at one end. The size you need will depend on the length of your new muffler.

Ok, first measure the length of your new muffler and write that down. After your old muffler is cut out, you are left with a 32" gap between the two stock pipes. I overlapped my 3 joints 2", which means you need 38" of new muffler and extension. So the formula is:
38 minus length of new muffler= length of extension you need. The thrush muffler is 19", so I needed a 19" extension piece to make 38". I bought a 24" extension, so obviously i had to cut it to 19".

Step 1: set parking brake and jack up rear of vehicle and put on jackstands. Block the front wheels. Put on safety glasses or goggles.
2: cut the pipe behind you old muffler, if you have enough space, it may be helpful to place a jackstand or block of wood under the muffler, its heavier than it looks.
3: once you cut the pipe, loosen the nut on the factory clamp in front of the muffler. Try twisting that muffler off. If you cant twist/pull it off, use your dead blow and hammer it off.
4: it may be helpful to smear some motor oil on the stock pipes to make installation easier.
Now slide your new muffler on either of the two stock pipes. I put mine on the foreward pipe. Now slide the non flared part of the extension in to the muffler, and the flared part over the stock pipe. Remember, 2" overlaps at all three seams.
5: clamp it all down tight until you see pipes crimp a little bit.
6: now piss off your neighbors with your mean sounding jeep 8)

ATHFAB.com

Last edited by At The Helm on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How to: change your muffler
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:08 pm 
LOST Member

Will be attempting this soon. Thanks

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 - Blue
Auto Transmission, Selec-Trac II, 245/70/16 Firestone Destination AT Tires,
Factory Skids, Factory Tow Pkg , Front Tow Hooks, Black Aries Running boards,
Tint all around, Factory Engine block heater, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Receiver Hitch Recovery Point,

www.CardinalSafetyTraining.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

Great write up............but...........your not welding it on so not so great. sorry

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 pm 

I chose not to weld it on in case I crush it or tear a hole in it. The clamps hold it on nice and tight and will make for a fast and easy swap if I need to. :JEEPIN:

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:46 pm 
LOST Member

i'm going to weld mine on at work so yeah :)

Tint all around, Factory Engine block heater, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Receiver Hitch Recovery Point,

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:36 pm 
LOST Member

Good write-up. I installed a Super 44 which is only 13" length. I ended up only needing an 18" exhaust tube though (and I even had to cut it 2"). I'm not sure how you ended up with the 38" necessary.

edit: image reference

2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:34 pm 

The 44 is 19" overall length, 13" case length, just like the thrush. Are you sure you didnt get a 24" extension? I dont see how that would fit especially if you cut off the original clamp in front of your muffler.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:08 am 
LOST Member

Atthehelm wrote:
The 44 is 19" overall length, 13" case length, just like the thrush.

That makes more sense...

For the muffler removal I just cut as close as I could to the front and the back to get the muffler out of the way, then I took an impact wrench to the front clamp and a hammer to knock the rusted tubing off. In that picture it kind of looks like I just cut it straight off at the clamp but I slid it off of the pipe.

2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:13 pm 
LOST Member

does any one know how to remove the resonator?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:34 pm 

Looks like you just cut it off and remove the hanger. You'll probably want to replace it with a straight pipe and a tip or turndown and weld the hanger back on.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:39 pm 

^^^^ :roll:
Like this:

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

remdawg wrote:
Good write-up. I installed a Super 44 which is only 13" length. I ended up only needing an 18" exhaust tube though (and I even had to cut it 2"). I'm not sure how you ended up with the 38" necessary.

edit: image reference

Just so im not buying the wrong thing here, all i should need is the muffler with the right size and location in/outlets and clamps and maybe some extra piping??? so about 100 bucks if that..... am i correct,, i dont need these 2-300 dollar setups

Post subject: How to: change your muffler
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:44 pm 
LOST Member

glsec507 wrote:
Just so im not buying the wrong thing here, all i should need is the muffler with the right size and location in/outlets and clamps and maybe some extra piping??? so about 100 bucks if that..... am i correct,, i dont need these 2-300 dollar setups

Correct. I got the 18" tubing from auto zone as well as the three clamps. I will warn that I've noticed it's beginning to rattle. I've tightened the clamps down which fixed it temporarily but it's starting again. I will probably just end up getting it welded since it's kind of embarrassing/ghetto to drive past people with rattling exhaust.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

remdawg wrote:
glsec507 wrote:

Correct. I got the 18" tubing from auto zone as well as the three clamps. I will warn that I've noticed it's beginning to rattle. I've tightened the clamps down which fixed it temporarily but it's starting again. I will probably just end up getting it welded since it's kind of embarrassing/ghetto to drive past people with rattling exhaust.

You're from Rochester, its perfectly acceptable to have a ghetto exhaust! I just moved to Seattle from there

And on topic, I just got a quote to have a new exhaust welded on my KK and it's only going to be $100. IMO it's worth it to not have to put up with constantly tightening the clamps.

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: MUFFLER SWAP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just recently did this muffler swap, and followed the instructions to the T, and it made the install very easy. Thank you, and its fun annoying neighbors now.