It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How To: Repair Rock Chips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Recently I got a pretty gnarly rock chip in my hood. I wanted to fix it before any rust started to form so here is how I did it.

Step 1: Buy repair kit and color match paint

Step 2: Using a good cleaner degrease clean the area to remove any dirt, grime and wax.

Step 3: Identify how bad the chip is. In this Dupli-Color system they give you 2 options. A liquid filler for clear coat chips or a putty filler for down to the metal chips. Mine is down to the metal so I used the putty filler.

Step 4: Using the corner of a business card apply the filler to the affected area. Once you have filled the area to the level of the paint, remove the access. Allow a few minutes to dry before moving to the next step.

Step 5: Apply color match paint. I used the brush end and lightly blotted the area to get the paint to take. Make sure you don't have a lot of paint on the brush other wise you will apply WAY too much paint. You just want enough to fill in the area. Allow a few hours for the paint to dry. Dupli-Color recommends 24 hours, I let it dry overnight (about 12 hours)

Step 6: Apply clear coat. Again, you don't want a lot on the brush. Just enough to coat the area. Allow at least 30 minutes to dry.

Step 7: Wet Sand. Using the sanding paper and disc in the kit you want to gently wet sand the area. I can't stress enough USE A LOT OF WATER. Get the sanding paper very wet and consistently spray the sanding area. Don't use a lot of pressure. Also don't be scared if you notice the area around becoming dull. You are NOT damaging the surrounding area. Gentle sanding A LOT of water.

Step 7.1: When your done the area should look like this.

Step 8: Polish. There is a good polishing compound supplied in the kit. Apply to the area and begin to buff with a micro-fiber towel. You may need to put a few coats on to get the paint back to its shine.

Step 9: Stand back and take a look. As you can see the chip is just about gone. That chip was pretty deep so I might go back over the process again.

Step 10: Final Wax. If you are done at this point apply final wax and enjoy.

Post subject: Re: How To: Repair Rock Chips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Great write up!

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:34 pm 
LOST Addict

not bad. good write up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:58 pm 
LOST Member

Great Write up, although I happen to like the chips on mine. I feel it adds character.

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 - Blue
Auto Transmission, Selec-Trac II, 245/70/16 Firestone Destination AT Tires,
Factory Skids, Factory Tow Pkg , Front Tow Hooks, Black Aries Running boards,
Tint all around, Factory Engine block heater, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Receiver Hitch Recovery Point,

www.CardinalSafetyTraining.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Adding character is nice only when the chip doesn't go down to the metal. When they get down to the metal is could worsen over the years and rust out.