It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CB Radio Vs. Handheld Walkie Talkie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:45 pm 
LOST Member

I'm just wondering the advantages and disadvantages to a CB radio compared to just a regular handheld Motarolla Radio. The range of the Motarolla says 10 miles but idk how accurate that is. I've never tested it beyond a mile

ATH Steel Roof Rack Bars / RL Super Skink Rock Sliders
Hypertech Max Energy Engine Tuner

Post subject: Re: CB Radio Vs. Handheld Walkie Talkie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

To start, it depends on what you want to do with it..

If you want to talk to your friends on the trail, or if you're road trippin' with another vehicle the walkie talkies are sufficient.

They do not require any modification to your vehicle.

Also, Walkie Talkies are also more portable, you can use them for many other things, like to keep track of friends and family on the mountain, snowboarding, skiing, or going to an amusement park, etc..

CB radios are good if you do a lot of driving on highways, etc.. You can find out about traffic delays, road closures, places to eat. The CB community is great.

Just a few ideas.
8)

(Also, welcome to the board, this should be in the Electronics Section, not Tech.
One of the Moderaters will move it eventually)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:56 am 
LOST Member

Haha woops didnt see that. Sorry about that. Thanks for the info! I think im gonna put a CB kit together. Just tryin to find a kinda out of the way to mount my antenna in the back of my KK that doesnt look dumb. :\

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 am 
LOST Member

I think the majority of people here did the door jamb mount like this:

Requires this:

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss204 ... p-317.html

Take off the tail light, drill in some holes to bolt in and screw it in. You can put the tail light back on and the mount fits with no issues. After that you just wire it up as you please. Since this picture was taken I've wired the CB line up through my trailer wiring (down through the tail light) when I installed my trailer hitch so there's no sign of any wires hanging out.

This is how I usually have it set up, with the Firestik quick disconnect so I can just pop it on and off when I need it.

2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:17 am 
LOST Member

I love the pic with ur dog in the back :)

Mounting it on the taillight makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking of doin. Coincidentally I was going to get an OEM hitch for the spring. Hows the reception on the 3' firestik? I was thinking of getting the exact same one. I'm just afraid of low hangin trees smackin it against the body so maybe ill bend it over the roof and tie it down into those plasticy black things on the roof. I dont have a roof rack cause I have a sky slider. Thanks for the help :D

Post subject: CB Radio Vs. Handheld Walkie Talkie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 pm 
LOST Member

The reception is great for the 3 footer, I think getting the 4 foot would have been too much as far as clearance issues. I originally had the quick disconnect and a spring but it really didn't need the spring so I removed it, and I like the height (and looks) with just the antenna and disconnect.

2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Years ago I had a CB in my truck I had Cobra and Uniden and funny they still both work today. If you are looking for a good antenae I remember using a K-40. It had a very strong magnetic base but you could twist the top off and keep the magnetic base on the roof of the truck. It really boosted the range of your CB.

Good Luck :]

OEM Cross Bars
OEM Mud Flaps