It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Water leaking in the trunk
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward - Thanks for the How-To! Do you think a hair dryer would help loosen the old sealant from the paint?

- Blacked-out Headlights

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:02 pm 
LOST Addict

wildemt wrote:
lfhoward - Thanks for the How-To! Do you think a hair dryer would help loosen the old sealant from the paint?

Good idea. Worth a try, I think! The old sealant is really hard to remove.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lauren,

Looks like you're not the only one, my 08 is having the same seam sealer failure. Jeep really should investigate this because its a huge quality and control blunder. I never had a roof rack on my KK until now but yet there is still separation and rust along the roof panel.

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:59 am 
LOST Addict

toy4everyseason wrote:
Lauren,

Looks like you're not the only one, my 08 is having the same seam sealer failure. Jeep really should investigate this because its a huge quality and control blunder. I never had a roof rack on my KK until now but yet there is still separation and rust along the roof panel.

Oh, man, I'm sorry to hear this. It is a real bummer when this happens. I'm glad you caught it now, though, before the water and winter salt could do too much damage. The cracks are in the typical locations, at the roof seam adjacent to the roof rack studs. Let me know if you have any questions about fixing it and I'll be happy to help if I can.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When you stripped out the old seam sealer, did you remove the piece of trim that runs from the windshield to the roof rack studs and if so how is it held on? I was going to try pulling it off but wasn't sure what is holding it down.

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 pm 
LOST Addict

I actually didn't need to remove that piece of trim because the cracks were closer to the roof rack studs. Removing the factory sealer is a pain. I had more luck stretching it sideways, so it slowly let go, rather than pulling up on it. When I pulled up on it I lost paint.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:35 am 
LOST Newbie

I had the same issue but not from the roof-rack, water drops from the roof close to the tail gate trim.
This is what I found:
rust close to the left hinge of the tailgate

rust close to the right hing of the tailgate

I used a soft sand paper to clear the rust, then applied some epoxy paint using a small soft artists paint brush and applied some sealant (look at the next 2 photos) using my finger ( using a medical gloves) .

and here is the result:

left side

right side

I applied the sealant all the way from right to left.
I did this last year and now 2 rainy seasons with no problem at all.

But today I have minor leakage again (right side) and I found the reason which is:
it's the groove between the 2 red arrows ( see the rust trace)

I'll apply the same procedures to this groove and the same to the left side too just in case.

For the roof racks I will take them out and see what I can do for the threaded bolts area up there and I will post the photos.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Salv, I had the same issue with the sheet metal seam above the tailgate and so I covered the entire width with 3M 5200 sealer. It's pretty ugly looking (black rubber-like sealer) but it works. Yours probably looks better if you painted it.

The rest of your photos don't seem to be displaying. Could you check the links?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
Salv, I had the same issue with the sheet metal seam above the tailgate and so I covered the entire width with 3M 5200 sealer. It's pretty ugly looking (black rubber-like sealer) but it works. Yours probably looks better if you painted it.

The rest of your photos don't seem to be displaying. Could you check the links?

Sorry for the photos, I fixed the problem in the photo bucket. It works now :)
The sealant I used is black same as my KK color :) , but you are right you can paint it since it's the same sealant used in the manufacturing, and it cured in 1 hour.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Really happy I found this thread, last week after the first couple rains of the season I noticed water dripping from the trim panel in the rear just inside the lift gate, didn't know where to start but it seems like now I've got some things to look for hopefully your solutions work for me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

toy4everyseason wrote:
When you stripped out the old seam sealer, did you remove the piece of trim that runs from the windshield to the roof rack studs and if so how is it held on? I was going to try pulling it off but wasn't sure what is holding it down.

I answered my own question if anyone is interested. All the roof trim seems to be held on by double stick tape.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 am 
LOST Member

lfhoward wrote:
Bottom line:
The 3M 5200 Marine sealer is awesome. It took about 5 days to dry, but the leaking problem is completely fixed.

I'm not having any leaking issues yet, but I want to do this. Ever since I removed the stock side rails and installed ATH ones instead, the seams that used to be cover are now not. I was planning on buying a few 3M tubes of sealant and completely fill in the seam on both sides, making it level with the roof of the Jeep. But now I'm worried the weather won't be good for 5 days to have it dry properly...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi to all,

I bring back to life this old thread from despair :-).

I have the same problem but with a big difference… I have not solved it for over a year now.

I have tried every solution offered in this thread plus I have changed the weatherstrip gasket with a brand new. I siliconed everything twice (me and my trusty mechanic) including the roof rails studs, I followed every single world from the Jeep service bulletin, I removed everything including the headliner, I used an inspection tube camera, my mechanic even removed the tailgate just to silicone the bolts from inside…

The only thing that I am sure about is that the water comes in ONLY from that break in the photo that I attached.

So, I would like to ask if you guys have permanently solved the problem, and If you have any other suggestions.

I know I know its a jeep thing…

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:34 am 
LOST Addict

Just to update this thread:

It has been several years since I sealed the roof, and it was fine for quite a while. I started getting leaks in the same place (see above post) again this year, but also noticed that the sealant across the sheet metal seam above the liftgate opening was cracking (probably due to vibration and expansion / shrinkage of the metal with temperature changes). This time I went nuts with the Rustoleum version of Flex-Seal and slathered it across the entire seam:

I know, that’s UGLY! But it does work. It is almost 99% leak free again. On very intense and long rainstorms there are a few drips from the center trim panel, so I probably will have to take the roof rack off again and reseal around the sidebar feet.

Rust-wise, I can’t see that it has gotten any worse. I encapsulated a bit of rust with the sealant the first time, and it has most likely grown a little, but nothing to make me worry.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:46 am 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:

It has been several years since I sealed the roof, and it was fine for quite a while. I started getting leaks in the same place (see above post) again this year, but also noticed that the sealant across the sheet metal seam above the liftgate opening was cracking (probably due to vibration and expansion / shrinkage of the metal with temperature changes). This time I went nuts with the Rustoleum version of Flex-Seal and slathered it across the entire seam:

Have you tried to change liftgate weatherstrip?
I have the same issue, water leaks from the the left side of the trim pieace. And it leaks intensively when I park the jeep at an angle, so right side is upper than the left. :P
For some unknown reason the leakage has stopped for almost an year, but it started again. I think I'll start from saeling the groove under weatherstrip.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:14 pm 
LOST Addict

ppg wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

Have you tried to change liftgate weatherstrip?
I have the same issue, water leaks from the the left side of the trim pieace. And it leaks intensively when I park the jeep at an angle, so right side is upper than the left. :P
For some unknown reason the leakage has stopped for almost an year, but it started again. I think I'll start from saeling the groove under weatherstrip.

Yup, the weatherstrip was the first thing I checked. I took it off, checked for cracks, then reinstalled it with silicone to make sure water wasn’t getting underneath it where it attaches to the Jeep body. After doing that it still leaked, so I started investigating other causes. That’s when I found problems with the sheet metal joints.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:07 am 
LOST Newbie

13 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4 body hatchback/liftgate TSB (Bulletin 2305407)
Bulletin Date: Dec. 12, 2007
Component: Body hatchback/liftgate.
Bulletin Summary: Water leak on load floor on right or let side or both at the liftgate header and/or the luggage rack channel seam area.
Vehicles covered in this TSB: 2008 Jeep Liberty.

NHTSA ID Number: 10023645
Manufacturer Communication Number: 2305407

Does this mean the dealer will fix the issue?