I've seen many threads from people whose KK did not come with the factory tow package
(FTP), who would be interested in adding it. The KK is capable of towing 5000 pounds with the FTP, but only 2000 pounds if you just add a hitch and call it a day. This is true even if the dealer installs the Mopar hitch and wiring harness. I highly recommend the Mopar one because it fits snugly under the rear bumper (aftermarket hitches hang lower). The factory tow package also includes a Trailer Sway Control computer program that works using your anti-lock brakes. Technically, the Jeep dealer cannot add the tow package to a KK that left the assembly line without it, but I've found that the hardware can be bought and added. I've tried to collect all the information into one thread for people who would like to add these components to their KK.Hitch & Wiring Harness:
Hitch photo by MtnLuvr:
The Mopar hitch is available at the dealership and many Mopar parts websites. Here is one sales website that also has links to Mopar's installation instructions: http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/liberty/hitch.htm
2008-2012 Hitch: 82210988AB
2008-2012 Wiring Harness: 82210642ADHD Cooling:
Info for this section comes from this thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=75943
and this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/2011-jeep-liberty-sport-towing-1386655/
All KK's come with an electric radiator fan, but the tow package adds a secondary mechanical fan with a fan clutch. This fan is a back-up to the electronic one and can keep the radiator much cooler when the Jeep is working hard. This will be an asset when towing, climbing up mountains, or wheeling on a hot day. The radiator itself is the same in tow and non-tow package KK's, and the fan shroud is already there.
2008-2012 Mechanical Cooling Fan (#1 in diagram): 55116884AAhttp://www.moparpartsamerica.com/parts/index.cfm?make=Jeep&year=&searchText=55116884AA&action=oePartSearch&siteid=214583
2008-2012 Fan Clutch (#2 in diagram): 52079718ADhttp://www.moparpartsamerica.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=52079718AD&make=Jeep&action=oePartSearch&siteid=214583
4 oem bolts needed for fastening the fan to the fan clutch:http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/BOLT-AND-WASHER-Mounting-Implement-Attaching/4343043/06034860.html
Photos of the cooling fan by DREDnot, who has the factory tow package:
View from the top of the engine:
View from underneath:
Cooling Fan Installation:
I planned to install the fan clutch myself but had my mechanic do it instead, as he was already going to be doing other work on my Jeep. Basically the tanks for the coolant and windshield washer fluid must be removed, then the underlying fan shroud needs to be removed. The fan clutch screws on to the pulley for the water pump. It is already threaded and ready to go. If doing it yourself, you'll need a special tool to hold the pulley steady while torquing on the fan clutch. The Mopar tool is in the diagram below. I am pretty sure its equivalent can be rented at most auto parts shops:
The procedure from the factory repair manual for removing and installing the fan & fan clutch is quoted below:
REMOVALTrailer Sway Control Program:
1. Partially drain the cooling system (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
2. Remove the upper radiator hose.
3. Remove the air filter housing assembly (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/AIR INTAKE SYSTEM/AIR CLEANER ELEMENT - REMOVAL).
4. Using Tool 6958 and adapter pins 8346 (1), remove fan/viscous fan drive assembly from water pump. Do not attempt to remove fan/viscous fan drive assembly from vehicle at this time.
5. Position the fan/fan drive assembly in the radiator shroud.
6. Remove the two shroud mounting screws.
7. Remove the radiator shroud and fan drive assembly.
8. After removing fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly, do not place viscous fan drive in horizontal position. If stored horizontally, silicone fluid in the viscous fan drive could drain into its bearing assembly and contaminate lubricant.
9. Remove four bolts securing fan blade assembly to viscous fan drive.
1. Install fan blade assembly to viscous fan drive. Tighten bolts to 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.) torque.
2. Position fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly into the radiator shroud.
3. Install the radiator shroud and fan drive assembly into the vehicle.
4. Install fan shroud retaining screws. Tighten screws to 6 N·M (50 lbs. in.)
5. Using Tool 6958, install the fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly to the water pump shaft. Tighten mounting nut to 50 N·m (37 ft. lbs.).
6. Install the upper radiator hose.
7. Fill cooling system (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
8. Connect battery negative cable.
This is the only part of the tow package that I might not have yet. I have read conflicting opinions about whether this computer program comes on all KK's, whether it must be specifically flashed to your KK's computer by a Jeep dealership tech with a Starscan tool, or whether it is only available straight from the factory. I am assuming I do not actually have this, so I am not about to go out and tow 5000 pounds anytime soon before I find out (my primary purpose for the cooling fan is for wheeling & mountain climbing). Even if you add the 5000 pound hitch and the HD Cooling, and your Jeep is physically capable of pulling that weight, be sure your first priority is to stay safe.Tow/Haul Button
This paragraph is for newbies who might ask the question. All KK's come with the Tow/Haul button, regardless of whether or not they have the factory tow package (FTP). The Tow/Haul button changes your shift points and locks out 4th gear. I find it is useful when climbing steep hills or when in hilly terrain where the transmission keeps shifting in and out of overdrive. In such a situation the transmission could overheat.What next?
As far as I know, I am the first person to add HD cooling to my KK. If you order the cooling fan components and do the installation yourself, post up some photos and tell us how difficult it is to install!
2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 AutomaticJeepin By Al 4" Lift Kit
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 245/75/R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery SystemTrailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997