It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: Add HD Cooling to KK's without the tow package
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm 
LOST Addict

I've seen many threads from people whose KK did not come with the factory tow package (FTP), who would be interested in adding it. The KK is capable of towing 5000 pounds with the FTP, but only 2000 pounds if you just add a hitch and call it a day. This is true even if the dealer installs the Mopar hitch and wiring harness. I highly recommend the Mopar one because it fits snugly under the rear bumper (aftermarket hitches hang lower). The factory tow package also includes a Trailer Sway Control computer program that works using your anti-lock brakes. Technically, the Jeep dealer cannot add the tow package to a KK that left the assembly line without it, but I've found that the hardware can be bought and added. I've tried to collect all the information into one thread for people who would like to add these components to their KK.

Hitch & Wiring Harness:
Hitch photo by MtnLuvr:

The Mopar hitch is available at the dealership and many Mopar parts websites. Here is one sales website that also has links to Mopar's installation instructions: http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/liberty/hitch.htm

2008-2012 Hitch: 82210988AB

2008-2012 Wiring Harness: 82210642AD

HD Cooling:
Info for this section comes from this thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=75943 and this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/2011-jeep-liberty-sport-towing-1386655/.

All KK's come with an electric radiator fan, but the tow package adds a secondary mechanical fan with a fan clutch. This fan is a back-up to the electronic one and can keep the radiator much cooler when the Jeep is working hard. This will be an asset when towing, climbing up mountains, or wheeling on a hot day. The radiator itself is the same in tow and non-tow package KK's, and the fan shroud is already there.

2008-2012 Mechanical Cooling Fan (#1 in diagram): 55116884AA
http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/parts/index.cfm?make=Jeep&year=&searchText=55116884AA&action=oePartSearch&siteid=214583

2008-2012 Fan Clutch (#2 in diagram): 52079718AD
http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=52079718AD&make=Jeep&action=oePartSearch&siteid=214583

4 oem bolts needed for fastening the fan to the fan clutch:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/BOLT-AND-WASHER-Mounting-Implement-Attaching/4343043/06034860.html

Photos of the cooling fan by DREDnot, who has the factory tow package:
View from the top of the engine:

View from underneath:

Cooling Fan Installation:
I planned to install the fan clutch myself but had my mechanic do it instead, as he was already going to be doing other work on my Jeep. Basically the tanks for the coolant and windshield washer fluid must be removed, then the underlying fan shroud needs to be removed. The fan clutch screws on to the pulley for the water pump. It is already threaded and ready to go. If doing it yourself, you'll need a special tool to hold the pulley steady while torquing on the fan clutch. The Mopar tool is in the diagram below. I am pretty sure its equivalent can be rented at most auto parts shops:

The procedure from the factory repair manual for removing and installing the fan & fan clutch is quoted below:
Quote:
REMOVAL
1. Partially drain the cooling system (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
2. Remove the upper radiator hose.
3. Remove the air filter housing assembly (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/AIR INTAKE SYSTEM/AIR CLEANER ELEMENT - REMOVAL).
4. Using Tool 6958 and adapter pins 8346 (1), remove fan/viscous fan drive assembly from water pump. Do not attempt to remove fan/viscous fan drive assembly from vehicle at this time.
5. Position the fan/fan drive assembly in the radiator shroud.
6. Remove the two shroud mounting screws.
7. Remove the radiator shroud and fan drive assembly.
8. After removing fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly, do not place viscous fan drive in horizontal position. If stored horizontally, silicone fluid in the viscous fan drive could drain into its bearing assembly and contaminate lubricant.
9. Remove four bolts securing fan blade assembly to viscous fan drive.

INSTALLATION
1. Install fan blade assembly to viscous fan drive. Tighten bolts to 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.) torque.
2. Position fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly into the radiator shroud.
3. Install the radiator shroud and fan drive assembly into the vehicle.
4. Install fan shroud retaining screws. Tighten screws to 6 N·M (50 lbs. in.)
5. Using Tool 6958, install the fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly to the water pump shaft. Tighten mounting nut to 50 N·m (37 ft. lbs.).
6. Install the upper radiator hose.
7. Fill cooling system (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
8. Connect battery negative cable.

Trailer Sway Control Program:
This is the only part of the tow package that I might not have yet. I have read conflicting opinions about whether this computer program comes on all KK's, whether it must be specifically flashed to your KK's computer by a Jeep dealership tech with a Starscan tool, or whether it is only available straight from the factory. I am assuming I do not actually have this, so I am not about to go out and tow 5000 pounds anytime soon before I find out (my primary purpose for the cooling fan is for wheeling & mountain climbing). Even if you add the 5000 pound hitch and the HD Cooling, and your Jeep is physically capable of pulling that weight, be sure your first priority is to stay safe.

Tow/Haul Button
This paragraph is for newbies who might ask the question. All KK's come with the Tow/Haul button, regardless of whether or not they have the factory tow package (FTP). The Tow/Haul button changes your shift points and locks out 4th gear. I find it is useful when climbing steep hills or when in hilly terrain where the transmission keeps shifting in and out of overdrive. In such a situation the transmission could overheat.

What next?
As far as I know, I am the first person to add HD cooling to my KK. If you order the cooling fan components and do the installation yourself, post up some photos and tell us how difficult it is to install!
Happy :JEEPIN:
--LFH

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Add HD Cooling to KK's without the tow package
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:32 pm 
LOST Member

This looks like a great idea, but I'm curious as to the difference between the cooling of a factory installed vs after factory. Is the difference really that drastic. I guess I gotta pop my hood and check. I personally have yet to tow with my jeep, dont have hitch yet, but I have driven it over 1200 miles (24-30 hours) nearly non stop with AC blasting and it never got too hot. With a limit of 5000 lbs I'm not sure how worried we should be about sway unless the load is much longer than the Liberty, ie boat or small trailer home. Great right up though and I've got a longer shopping list now, which the wife will love, not. :rockon:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As far as the stability control goes, I wouldn't even worry about it. We've been towing trailers for decades without it, it didn't exist until recently. I was told that it's part of the programming of the ABS, with or without the tow package, but a dealer is liable to say anything when they don't know the answer. The mechanical fan would be a great help. I've used my KK to tow a 2000 pound camper loaded full of stuff with my Jeep loaded so full I couldn't see out of the back and the temperature gauge didn't move. I have overheated the transmission while driving a trail up a long steady grade with only two people and a few items in the back. I have 245/75-16 tires and with those came problems compared to the stock 225/75-16's. Since regearing I haven't had any issues as far as power loss and I don't expect any with the cooling either but this is one addition I intend to make. The transmission is the weak link. Only the top part of the A/C condenser is used for the transmission cooling and if there isn't a lot of air traveling across it, like going slowly off road or towing in traffic, the transmission will suffer. IMO, the KK should've included a mechanical fan across the board, with or without the tow package. By the way, I think my tranny fluid has broken down a bit as sometimes it shifts wierd, not quite slipping but kinda like that. :2cents: :2cents:

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just got done installing the mechanical fan. The factory instructions aren't quite right. It's pretty straight forward.

This was on a 2012.

1. You DO NOT need to empty any coolant.
2. Remove the air box, top and bottom.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Undo the bolt holding the horn.
5. Remove the small coolant line from the top passenger side of the reservoir.
6. You'll now have access to all the Allen screws holding the reservoirs on. Undo all of these.
7. You can now swing the entire reservoir system back and towards the driver side.
8. Remove the two screws holding the fan shroud on.
9. Unplug the fan assembly (this is a pain).
10. On the lower driver side of the shroud there are two pipes held on by a clip. This clip is screwed on. Unscrew it but leave the clip there.
11. Fan assembly/shroud can now be pulled out.
12. Remove plastic cover from pulley threads.
13. Screw on fan/clutch assembly... I used red locktite as well.
14. Tighten the assembly.
15. Follow from step 11 backwards.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Quote:
http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/parts/ ... eid=214583

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/pro ... 34860.html

Just confirming, will this be everything I need besides basic tools to install the fan? Only 3 parts just seems to easy.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:18 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepNCrowd wrote:
Quote:

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/pro ... 34860.html

Just confirming, will this be everything I need besides basic tools to install the fan? Only 3 parts just seems to easy.

Hi JeepNCrowd, yes, that's all the parts. You'll need to rent the right tool at your local auto parts store to be able to screw the fan clutch onto the pulley, or else see if you can order the Chrysler one. It is shown in this diagram:

You might also want to shop around to get the best prices, or buy all the parts from the same supplier to economize on shipping. When I bought the fan clutch and fan I didn't realize the bolts were not included, so I found those later. --LFH

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:43 pm 
LOST Member

Any updates on this. I am moving from CO to NC on a dity move with the USAF. I wanna two but need this package. Moving March 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:04 pm 
LOST Addict

The only update I have is that the HD cooling fan is doing its job well.

I have been in several situations on long hill climbs under load or idling in traffic jams for extended periods of time where the mechanical fan has kicked in and brought the temperature down. I have a Scangauge II so I can track the coolant temp and see the difference the fan makes. Last summer with only the e-fan, coolant temps got as high as 228 at one point while climbing up a mountain trail at 15 mph or so. Now when the HD fan kicks in, the coolant temp never gets much above 205-210 before it comes back down to 193 or so with the aux fan on. Normal operating temps for the KK's 3.7 engine are usually around 195-205. In addition, since the stock tranny cooler is integrated with the radiator, the extra fan is probably extending the life of my transmission as well. Let me know if you have any questions. If other LOST Jeepers have updates, please post them here as well.

Cheers,
--LFH

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:31 am 
LOST Member

How long does this install take and should I get a tranny cooler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It should be noted to never tow anything without pressing the tow/haul button. Pressing the tow/haul button keeps it from going into overdrive in the highway. The overdrive clutches in the transmission are NOT rated for towing... ask me how I know :banghead:

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 pm 
LOST Member

Ok which way does this go?ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Send it to me I'll figure it out for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Are you piggy backing with the electric ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:19 am 
LOST Member

Cherrie 274 wrote:
Are you piggy backing with the electric ?
yes I am

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:20 am 
LOST Addict

Seems like there was the word "Front" stamped into the black metal part when I did it. I'll pop my hood and check for you and post back within the hour.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:53 am 
LOST Addict

The concave side of the black metal hub faces forward, cupping the fan clutch. (Your second photo.)

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:03 pm 
LOST Member

lfhoward wrote:
The concave side of the black metal hub faces forward, cupping the fan clutch. (Your second photo.)
ok that's how I had it but then I was laying thinking it could go either way lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:05 am 
LOST Member

I've tried to install fan clutch and no matter how I do it it always goes on crooked and gets all the way on minus 1/4" and then can't go any farther any suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:09 am 
LOST Addict

brdkey wrote:
I've tried to install fan clutch and no matter how I do it it always goes on crooked and gets all the way on minus 1/4" and then can't go any farther any suggestions.

By goes on crooked do you mean it's cross-threaded?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:48 pm 
LOST Member

I assume so and I can't straighten out not mater what I do it goes in crooked.