It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Add HD Cooling to KK's without the tow package
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:13 pm 
LOST Addict

brdkey wrote:
It's installed May do a step by step with pics !;)

That would be great! If you start a new "how to change your water pump" thread, would you please put a link to it in this thread? Or you could put the fan install directions and pics right in this thread so everything would be in one place. Thanks for chronicling your install so it helps others. Thanks for your input too, Cherrie.
--Lauren

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:56 am 
LOST Member

lfhoward wrote:
brdkey wrote:
It's installed May do a step by step with pics !;)

That would be great! If you start a new "how to change your water pump" thread, would you please put a link to it in this thread? Or you could put the fan install directions and pics right in this thread so everything would be in one place. Thanks for chronicling your install so it helps others. Thanks for your input too, Cherrie.
--Lauren
Lol I didn't take pics of water pump however I do have some illustrated pics that would come in handy. I wanna post it but I've been busy so hopefully soon I can get of my lazy butt lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:38 pm 
LOST Addict

As a follow-up, it might not be a bad idea to add an aux transmission cooler if you are doing heavy towing. Here is a vid of that install from eTrailer.com.

http://images.etrailer.com/Merchant2/Gr ... 03_web.mp4

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:18 am 
LOST Newbie

hi guys,

I had my local mecanic install th HD cooling fan for me a few weeks ago...

I was watching him do the install because i did not have the "special tool" and he said he could install it for next to nothing...

The odd thing i noticed is, he did not use/need the "special tool". He was able to tighten the fan just witha big wrench. Also he inserted it from below instead of removing the shroud and tanks.

Other than these comments, i have a question for those who run with the HD cooling.
When i start my jeep, the faanruns for a few minutes everytime... Is it just me or is it normal behavior for this system?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:24 am 
LOST Addict

para_seb wrote:
hi guys,

I was watching him do the install because i did not have the "special tool" and he said he could install it for next to nothing...

The odd thing i noticed is, he did not use/need the "special tool". He was able to tighten the fan just witha big wrench. Also he inserted it from below instead of removing the shroud and tanks.

Other than these comments, i have a question for those who run with the HD cooling.
When i start my jeep, the faanruns for a few minutes everytime... Is it just me or is it normal behavior for this system?

Thanks

Thanks for your observations on the install.
The fan running for a minute or so after startup seems normal. Mine does that. I have always thought the viscous material inside the fan clutch needed to "warm up".

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:32 am 
LOST Member

Hey guys/girls so sorry for the late reply. I need to get that step by step started. I was trying to complete the step by step at work and the computer was being funny then I lost my tapatalk account info and just kind of lost interest because my phone wouldn't let me on. Its been a busy few months as well father passed away, my enlistment in the military ended, got a job and work every other day so my off days are for sleeping, NO LIFE. I'll try to get that step by step up ASAP.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:34 am 
LOST Member

para_seb wrote:
hi guys,

Thanks

Yeah that special tool isn't really needed and if you do need one its like $10 on amazon for a universal one no need for a Mopar $100 one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 am 
LOST Addict

Following up on my HD cooling mod:
I hauled this loaded 6x12 U-Haul trailer 600 miles from Philadelphia to southern Michigan with no issues.

The double axle trailer pulled really well. I loaded the front with the heavier boxes and a queen mattress, shooting for a 60% front, 40% rear weight distribution. The trailer was also balanced well enough that the Jeep wasn't weighed down more than an inch in the rear, and I had no issues at all with trailer sway. I used a 6 inch drop hitch with my 4 inch lift and larger tires. The trailer plus cargo probably was around 4000 lbs total. Using tow/haul and setting cruise at 60 on the flat, but controlling the gas pedal myself in hilly terrain, I got about 11.5 mpg. The KK is a very capable machine.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:52 pm 
LOST Member

I am pretty sure it is possible to get the Trailer Sway Control enabled, however I don't know if the dealer has the capability. You may need the engineering software to reconfigure it.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

If only I had found your thread earlier! I opted for grabbing a Libby with the Tow Package because ... well, I hadn't found a consistent list of what the package meant! I may have wasted $1k just to get all this from the factory. :|

Here's what I did find from comparing VINs. '12 Libbys without the Tow Package did have this listed in their build sheets:

Code:
Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler

Seems others have found this cooler on their KKs. The '12 Libby I grabbed with the Tow Package had 4 more line items on its build sheet:

Code:
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Power Steering Cooler
Trailer Tow Class III Group
Trailer Tow Group

So maybe "HD Engine Cooling" is just the added mechanical/clutch fan. But that power steering kit on Mopar's website looks darn expensive compared to the other parts in the package: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/pro ... 431AA.html

What's odd to me is that when I'm towing something, that usually means long, straight hauls -- not lots of turning -- so I'm baffled why power steering would be cooled in a "Towing Package" ... maybe an "Off Road" package would benefit most from power steering cooling??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:43 am 
LOST Member

I installed this in my KK last year around February or March of 2014 and in April 2014 I went from Colorado Springs to North Carolina pulling the 6'X12' trailer. It was 1,550 mile drive. I believe with the trailer and all my stuff was around 3500-4000 pounds. I have the exact numbers from the weigh station I'd just have to find them. Everything worked fine and I believe I was averaging around 10MPG I had to fill up every 200 miles. But being military and moving back to my home station they paid for all my gas and I got paid well! After the move was said and done they paid me enough to cover gas, uhaul rental and I even had enough that my towing package equipment cost me next to nothing!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Do I need to order four of the bolts for $5.25 each (list price), or do I need to order just one and it comes with all four? That seems like a lot for one bolt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep, that is the price per bolt.

Also, make sure you order them along with the fan clutch and fan as none of the local dealers stock them. I'm in Phoenix as well and called every dealership in the state without success. No hardware stores stock the odd size either.

Ended up ordering them after I already had the fan and clutch in hand and paid way too much for shipping :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I was actually able to find one that was slightly to long at Home Depot. i just added extra washers and it worked perfectly. I think it was a 5/16" bolt but I don't remember the length.i spend $1.87 on four washers and bolts. Saved me almost $30!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like a good deal. Be sure they are strong enough to last though road salt, variable temps of your engine, and the torque put on them by the fan clutch. Wouldn't want cheap bolts shearing off in a year and a fan flying off under the hood at 2000+ rpms... :grim:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:27 pm 
LOST Member

The mopar bolts are 5/16-18 and 5/8 long, have a captive washer, and look black oxided. I think they are grade 5. If you can get something similar, it should work.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

For what its worth...

I needed more cooling for slow off road use, as well as occasional light duty towing, and to avoid heat ups during the dreaded stop-and-crawl traffic so common in my area of Colorado...

Once I had a tranny overheat, which really bummed me out. Isn't this thing supposed to be a jeep? Come on! I was in 4x4 LO 1st gear on a slope that was about 30 deg. not unheard of. something had to be done. I couldn't go on living like that, overheating the transmission while trying to show off, its really embarrassing! :oops:

I purchased part number 82210991 from morris4x4 center.
It was a listed part from the dealer as working with my 2008 jeep liberty sport.

I verified that it was the correct part using factorychryslerparts.com search tool. 82210991 is a verified fit for a KK liberty 2008. However, the aforementioned site would not sell to me because they said it wouldn't fit, despite their own site telling me that it would! Therefore I purchased from morris4x4center
this part is often listed as working with 4.3L V6 engines and for the jeep grand Cherokee etc... not the 3.7L liberty.

It arrived early, with a fan blade and black steel carrier (55038108AA) , 2 sets of bolts (06034860) , and 2 fan clutches too boot!
I chose to use the lighter duty fan clutch (55038106AA) for clearance reasons as well as fuel economy reasons.
this one has a flat face, and fits easier, and is a sign of lighter duty service. this means that the viscous clutch will disengage more at cool temps, and engage less at high temps. The heavier duty viscous clutch is identified by the vast increase of fins. This clutch engages more at high temps, and also more at low temps, therefore robbing some engine power. I did not verify that the larger clutch actually fit my vehicle. Besides I already knew that the vehicle was spec'd to use 55038106AA clutch. There is about 3/4" of clearance between the viscous clutch and the electrical fan. (you can slip your hand in between them)

The fan and clutch assembly fits perfectly, and works well. All that, after many people told me it was dead wrong!
It cost $150 free shipping. Done.
temperature sits at about 190F which is what the thermostat is set to. no matter what.

It worked with my existing electrical fan and shroud. I did elect to drain 1/2 coolant from rad. so that the upper hose could come off and allow easier installation of fan shroud around fan assembly. this also required me to remove the battery, and horn as well as washer fluid tank/coolant tank and fan shroud and fan connector.

fan was screwed on to wtr pump with 36mm adjustable wrench, and a hex key jammed in the pump pulley hole. no special tool needed.
the air drag on the fan blade will also serve to tighten the fan on to the pump shaft.
a drop of blue lock tight was on each of the fan bolts as well as the main shaft threads for security.

refilled fluid, and purged air. vehicle works well.

got to love that roar at start up. after driving for a few minutes with higher RPM, the fan clutch pumps the fluid and releases and spins down.
at idle, the fan increases in speed, and barely gets loud at all. the whole engine compartment is much cooler now, and my alternator also enjoys a cooler life too.
not to mention the power steering pump. Man what a difference it makes for the A/C performance in stop-and-crawl traffic.

only issues was that the thermostat in cool weather (65F) closes almost completely because the radiator is so effective now. this caused a slight increase in lower hose pressure causing a drip. replacing a defective hose clamp and tightening well cured that problem. just be careful getting a clamp tight on the stupid plastic hose barb for the engine thermostat housing.

hope this helps someone out.
again, it fits and works on mine, :!: please research it for yours.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:49 pm 
LOST Member

skemler wrote:
For what its worth...

I needed more cooling for slow off road use, as well as occasional light duty towing, and to avoid heat ups during the dreaded stop-and-crawl traffic so common in my area of Colorado...

Once I had a tranny overheat, which really bummed me out. Isn't this thing supposed to be a jeep? Come on! I was in 4x4 LO 1st gear on a slope that was about 30 deg. not unheard of. something had to be done. I couldn't go on living like that, overheating the transmission while trying to show off, its really embarrassing! :oops:

I purchased part number 82210991 from morris4x4 center.
It was a listed part from the dealer as working with my 2008 jeep liberty sport.

I verified that it was the correct part using factorychryslerparts.com search tool. 82210991 is a verified fit for a KK liberty 2008. However, the aforementioned site would not sell to me because they said it wouldn't fit, despite their own site telling me that it would! Therefore I purchased from morris4x4center
this part is often listed as working with 4.3L V6 engines and for the jeep grand Cherokee etc... not the 3.7L liberty.

It arrived early, with a fan blade and black steel carrier (55038108AA) , 2 sets of bolts (06034860) , and 2 fan clutches too boot!
I chose to use the lighter duty fan clutch (55038106AA) for clearance reasons as well as fuel economy reasons.
this one has a flat face, and fits easier, and is a sign of lighter duty service. this means that the viscous clutch will disengage more at cool temps, and engage less at high temps. The heavier duty viscous clutch is identified by the vast increase of fins. This clutch engages more at high temps, and also more at low temps, therefore robbing some engine power. I did not verify that the larger clutch actually fit my vehicle. Besides I already knew that the vehicle was spec'd to use 55038106AA clutch. There is about 3/4" of clearance between the viscous clutch and the electrical fan. (you can slip your hand in between them)

The fan and clutch assembly fits perfectly, and works well. All that, after many people told me it was dead wrong!
It cost $150 free shipping. Done.
temperature sits at about 190F which is what the thermostat is set to. no matter what.

It worked with my existing electrical fan and shroud. I did elect to drain 1/2 coolant from rad. so that the upper hose could come off and allow easier installation of fan shroud around fan assembly. this also required me to remove the battery, and horn as well as washer fluid tank/coolant tank and fan shroud and fan connector.

fan was screwed on to wtr pump with 36mm adjustable wrench, and a hex key jammed in the pump pulley hole. no special tool needed.
the air drag on the fan blade will also serve to tighten the fan on to the pump shaft.
a drop of blue lock tight was on each of the fan bolts as well as the main shaft threads for security.

refilled fluid, and purged air. vehicle works well.

got to love that roar at start up. after driving for a few minutes with higher RPM, the fan clutch pumps the fluid and releases and spins down.
at idle, the fan increases in speed, and barely gets loud at all. the whole engine compartment is much cooler now, and my alternator also enjoys a cooler life too.
not to mention the power steering pump. Man what a difference it makes for the A/C performance in stop-and-crawl traffic.

only issues was that the thermostat in cool weather (65F) closes almost completely because the radiator is so effective now. this caused a slight increase in lower hose pressure causing a drip. replacing a defective hose clamp and tightening well cured that problem. just be careful getting a clamp tight on the stupid plastic hose barb for the engine thermostat housing.

hope this helps someone out.
again, it fits and works on mine, :!: please research it for yours.
how did it only cost you 150$?!?! I searched the part number on morris and its listed at 250$ :( do you have a link to the exact one you purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:48 pm 
LOST Member

Hey everyone!
I figured I'd post an update to the HD fan mod that I did over a year ago.

The Fan has performed perfectly in the hot Texas summer and while rock crawling in 100 degree temps. The engine runs about 10 degrees cooler with the HD fan and my hood louvers. If you put your hand over the louvers when I rev the engine, you can really feel the hot air kicking out.

I recently discovered a frayed wire on my electric cooling fan and had to remove it to re-terminate the wires. The electric fan has been out of the Jeep for a week or so now, and due to the HD fan, I have no worries of the engine over heating. It's nice to have a little extra insurance, especially when I start overlanding during long hot summer days.

All-in-All, a great investment to prolong the life of your engine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just added the heavy duty radiator fan and I thought I'd share how I did it and the low cost I did it at. I got the radiator fan and clutch from Rockauto.com for a low price of $91 shipped to my door. Here are the part numbers I used: Hayden fan clutch #2736 and Mopar fan #55038108AA. You can find the clutch using the year/make/model list but you'll need to use the search function for the fan because its not listed for the Liberty...why?...no idea. The part number for the fan has been updated from the original posting to the above part number. As far as paying $30 for four bolts.... that's insane. I have a local industrial fastener warehouse that supplied me with grade 8, 5/16-18tpi x 5/8" bolts and washers for the... wait for it.... 74 cents! Its crazy to pay $7 a piece for those bolts.

As for installing it, my Jeep has 96k miles so the threads on the water pump were pretty rusty. Take the time to wire bush the threads, brush on some naval jelly, clean and repeat a couple times until the clutch screws on freely without using a wrench. Your water pump will thank you. I installed the fan and clutch assembly from below. Be sure you're on a flat level surface and remove the radiator skid plate (if equipped) and the 4 nuts holding on the front sway bar to the frame. Swing the whole sway bar down and out of the way and there should be just enough room to fit it in from the bottom. As far as using a special tool to hold the water pump pulley in place, I didn't have one so I used a flat steel bar I had, drilled a hole and put an allen wrench in the hole and into one of the holes in the water pump. I put a socket on the tensioner and let the bar rest on the socket as I tighten down the clutch nut down with a big adjustable wrench.

All said and done, I'm in $92 for the heavy duty cooling kit...not too shabby. :rockon:

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

Last edited by toy4everyseason on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next