It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: Install OEM Radiator Skid (52125385AC)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:27 pm 
LOST Member

Because this skid is not available as an accessory kit like the other 4 skids are, it does not come with the hardware or installation instructions, so I put together this quick writeup to help any of you who may want to put one in. Altogether, it took me about an hour. I believe this skid came on those KKs with the factory skid plate package but I am not sure; either way, you can still get it by ordering the replacement part along with the hardware. NOTE: You must have the front engine skid plate (52129092AC) already on to install this.

Parts Required
1x SKID PLATE,Front 52125385AC $55.10
2x RIVET 06506644AA $5.50/pc (Rivnut/Nutsert)
4x BOLT M10X1.50X35.00 06104416AA $5.50/pc (or equivalent grade 10 bolt w/ washer)

Tools Required:
10mm and 17mm sockets with extension and U-joint
Trim Stick
Punch and needlenose pliers (for removing POM rivets)
8x 6.3x25.2 POM rivets and riveting tool (Harbor Freight)
Rivnut Install tool (make your own with bolt, washer, drilled out nut, and wrench: http://www.carolinarovers.info/croc-stu ... ivnut-tool)

1: Remove Bumper, see this write-up by Diggerfreek here: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=41683 (TIP: Unplug the side markers before unbolting the bumper behind the splash shield)

2: Install Rivnuts in the two hex holes on either side of the radiator (forgot to take pictures, here are the locations after the install).
ImageImage

2: Line the bolt slots and tab on the back of the skid plate up with the engine skid. Slide back to get the tabs over top of the engine skid.

3: Wiggle the front skid to get it mostly lined up with the bolt holes. The PS cooler hoses will get in the way, so just push them where they need to go.

4: Hand start the front right bolt in the slot first, making sure to get a couple threads in.

5: Move/bang the skid plate around until all the other holes line up. I did the front left bolt second, followed by the two bolts to the engine skid. Only do a few threads for now.

6: Make sure the plate is aligned and won't pinch the PS hoses when you tighten the bolts the rest of the way. Tighten the bolts down to 45ft-lbs (or less if you are using antiseize)
ImageImage

7: Shake/hit the plate one final time to make sure everything is tight.

8: Put the bumper back on.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install OEM Radiator Skid (52125385AC)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Nice write up. There is no need for all of us to reinvent the wheel now.

I would like to add that if you are doing all of your skids at once, the gas tank skid kit comes with extra bolts that can be used to install the radiator skid. You would still need to buy 2 nutzerts, but no extra bolts.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 pm 
LOST Member

lfhoward wrote:

I would like to add that if you are doing all of your skids at once, the gas tank skid kit comes with extra bolts that can be used to install the radiator skid. You would still need to buy 2 nutzerts, but no extra bolts.

Thanks, I spent two hours yesterday trying to get it on without taking the bumper off; I would have loved to have known that's just not possible before hand. All I managed to do was scratch up the bumper and my arms :furious:

I had the dealership put my gas tank skid on for free when they did the fuel spitback TSB since they had to replace the tank anyways. I kept the hardware that didn't fit, but it's in a pile somewhere. If I find it I'll replace the home depot bolts with the mopar ones.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lfhoward wrote:

I got two extra nutserts with mine along with enough bolts. There were more than enough bolts because they're the same ones that are used for the fuel tank bracket, minus one broken one :banghead:

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I installed one on my 08 years ago and didn't need to remove bumper. What has changed?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just did mine. Took me less than 20 minutes and I did not have to remove the bumper. This is probably the easiest skid to install because you don't have to get all the way under the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ATH Shackle Mounts w/ Rugged Ridge D-rings
Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

What size are the bolts that go into the rivnut? I was looking at the tool at harbor freight, however it comes in different sizes...