It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Factory Fog Lights
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:10 pm 
LOST Member

Hello All,

Got a question. I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4. I bought it with standard headlights (no fog lights). I then bought Black 2010-12 model headlights that had fog light slot and bulbs. I want to know what it would take to get the factory fog lights working and can I buy a standard on off switch or do I need to have the column turn signal/lights stick?

Post subject: Re: Factory Fog Lights
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:21 pm 
LOST Addict

If you replace your multifunction switch (stalk) on your steering column with one that has fogs, and get Jeep to flash your computer to tell it you now have fog lights, everything should be plug and play.

Or you can rig up your own switch and relay, using a circuit diagram like this: http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_driving_lights_wiring.htm

The advantage of the factory setup is the fogs and high beams can't be on at the same time, as this is illegal. It's also not a good thing for you as the driver, because when you have fogs on your eyes adjust to the bright road directly in front of you and you can't see dimly lit objects far down the road, like you'd want to be able to with high beams on.

EDIT: There are two wiring diagrams in the link above. The first diagram shows how to set it up where fogs will turn on only when low beams are on and the switch is on (similar to behavior of factory fogs-- When you switch to high beams, the fogs will turn off). The second is for a direct setup where you can turn the fogs on at any time using your switch.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:04 pm 
LOST Member

There is no where to plug the fog lights into if your Jeep didn't come with them. You would have to either wire them up yourself or buy the mopar overlay harness.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:58 pm 
LOST Member

Does anyone have a pic of fog lights on and the factory off lights any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 pm 
LOST Member

ajohns1288 wrote:
There is no where to plug the fog lights into if your Jeep didn't come with them. You would have to either wire them up yourself or buy the mopar overlay harness.

Would this work?

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/e ... ?id=198750

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 pm 
LOST Member

lfhoward wrote:
If you replace your multifunction switch (stalk) on your steering column with one that has fogs, and get Jeep to flash your computer to tell it you now have fog lights, everything should be plug and play.

Or you can rig up your own switch and relay, using a circuit diagram like this: http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_driving_lights_wiring.htm

The advantage of the factory setup is the fogs and high beams can't be on at the same time, as this is illegal. It's also not a good thing for you as the driver, because when you have fogs on your eyes adjust to the bright road directly in front of you and you can't see dimly lit objects far down the road, like you'd want to be able to with high beams on.

EDIT: There are two wiring diagrams in the link above. The first diagram shows how to set it up where fogs will turn on only when low beams are on and the switch is on (similar to behavior of factory fogs-- When you switch to high beams, the fogs will turn off). The second is for a direct setup where you can turn the fogs on at any time using your switch.

Would this work?

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/e ... ?id=198750

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Instead of buying a whole new headlight assembly, has anyone tried replacing the dummy factory fog lights and wiring them up individually from the headlight?

2012 Liberty 4x4 White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:14 pm 
LOST Member

Johnny wrote:
Instead of buying a whole new headlight assembly, has anyone tried replacing the dummy factory fog lights and wiring them up individually from the headlight?

I didn't buy the assembly to get fog lights bought it for the blacked out look!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Johnny wrote:

The dummy fog light is molded in one piece to the chrome bezel and if you remove the bezel there is no fog light reflector behind it. If that wasn't enough, the back of the headlights w/o fogs doesn't have the retainer on the back that hold the fog light bulb in place. All in all, its easier to buy the whole assembly.

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

brdkey,
If you want to wire up the fog lights to work like stock, you'll need a few parts: Multifunction headlight switch w/ fogs, a pair of headlights with fogs, either the mopar overlay harness part #05166846AA or make your own overlay harness and the correct pin connectors to tap into the TIPM(Total integrated power module) harness. If you're interested in sourcing your own parts instead of using the mopar kit (part number #82210791) I have a couple of the correct pin connectors for the TIPM harness I'd sell ya for $10 shipped. PM me if interested.

After its all installed the Jeep must go to a dealer ship so they can turn on the fog lights and link it to your VIN. My dealership did it for $54 and had it done in less than half an hour.

On another note if you want the blacked out look, all you have to do is remove the bulbs & rubber grommet from the headlight, bake it at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 15min, remove the clear lens, remove the chrome bezel inside the headlight, paint the bezel black and re assemble the headlight. :frankie:

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs