It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blown head gasket 3.7 V6 - for those in question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I hope someone with an overheating 3.7 V6 will benefit from this...
I have a 2010 Liberty with 112K miles. I bought it for my daughter 6 months ago from "A Chrysler dealership" in Austin. It overheated a couple of weeks after we bought it. I took it in and they shanked me for a new water pump ( gave me 10% off). The problem was resolved for another few weeks then the check engine light came on. I took it to a mechanic and the code read "misfire cylinder 3 and 4". He recommended replacing the coils so I did so. ( And the wires, spark plugs). The check engine light went off for two weeks then reappeared. I got the same code read.
i got on this forum and saw that it was possibly the fuel injectors, i replaced them.
The check engine light went off for another week then the car overheated at red lights, then cooled off immediately after take off. It was recommended that I replace the thermostat, I did so and the problem went away.
Fast forward...
I began noticing antifreeze level was down and began topping it off every weekend. It needed a half gallon almost every weekend.
It was recommended that I have it checked for exhaust gasses in the coolant. I just had that done and it tested positive.
Moral to the story...
The friggin dealership knows this is an issue with this motor design yet bandages the problem. The block /pressure test is a simple test that should be done anytime there is an overheating problem with the 3.7 V6.
My mechanic won't just replace the gaskets without testing/shaving the heads. The labor is the same as replacing the engine. $1500.00
Now I must decide whether to have the gaskets and heads repaired/replaced or just replace the whole engine while I'm at it. $2300 for an engine, waiting to hear what a head job will cost...
Pun intended.

Post subject: Re: Blown head gasket 3.7 V6 - for those in question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:25 pm 
LOST Member

I have a random misfire in cylinder 3 but no overheating. Hopefully it's not the same problem. Keep us updated on what you choose to do

'08, OME HD/MD coils, Ironman shocks, Al's A-arms, Top plates, ATH front recovery, V-Tec Offroad wheels 17x8.5, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's 265/65R17, Jasper Offroad 12" Dual LED lightbar, Mopar hitch and harness, RRO roof rails and cross bars, Viper throttle body, K&N FIPK, Hypertech Max Energy

Post subject: Re: Blown head gasket 3.7 V6 - for those in question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:39 am 
LOST Member

i didnt think these motors had head gasket issues?