It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to install OEM cruise control- Plug & Play
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is how I installed OEM cruise control onto my Liberty. It is plug and play and does NOT require a trip to the dealership to activate it. Here is what you'll need:

OEM Air Bag wiring - 68020374AA
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-mopar/68020374aa

OEM Cruise Control Switch - 4671929AC
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-mopar/4671929AC

2 - #10 screws 1/2" length
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1

1) Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and leave it off. Step on the brake pedal a couple times to be sure there is no power left in the system. You'll be removing the airbag so you want to be sure there is no power.

2) Move the steering wheel to its most upward position and reach under the steering column and pull toward you to disengage the 2 clips on the knee trim panel under the column. It should swing down and out of the way like this:

3) Remove the 3 T-20 screws on the bottom of the trim that covers the steering column and separate the two trim pieces. They just snap together. You'll need to put the steering column adjusting lever to bottom position to get the bottom part of the trim off.

4) Insert the keys and turn it to the on position. Rotate the steering wheel so you can access the 3 air bag catches on the back of the steering wheel. Using a small mirror and a short flat head screw driver, move the catches off their perches. I put light pressure on the airbag to help pop it off the perches. The picture isn't great but I highlighted the air bag catches in red in the picture below.

5) Disconnect the 2 air bag connectors on the back of the air bag (1 yellow & 1 black) and set is aside. Disconnect the horn wiring harness circled in red below:

6) Cut a square hole in the side of the steering wheel. It's just foam so it was easy to cut it with a razor blade.

7) Squeeze the switch into the hole and carefully screw the 2 #10 screws. I say carefully as you'll see below where I broke the head off one on my screws and had to search my toolbox for a replacement. Connect the new harness (68020374AA) to the cruise control switch, horn connection and white clock spring connection on the top of the steering wheel.

Reinstall the airbag, steering column trim and knee panel and reconnect the negative battery terminal and you're all set. Total cost $43 plus shipping.

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

Last edited by toy4everyseason on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How to install OEM cruise control- Plug & Play
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Awesome write up! It's amazing to think you can add cruise control for only $43. :BANANA:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:31 am 
LOST Member

Finally installed mine last weekend. I should note that you don't actually have to remove cowl surrounding the steering column. You can actually remove the airbag by just disconnecting the battery and use a mirror behind the steering wheel (I used my iPhone's front facing camera lol) and just using a flat bladed screw driver to just pry the plastic clips like normal and just turn the wheel to access each. removing the cowl just makes it a bit easier to access the clips.

Sent from my iPhone 5

ATH Steel Roof Rack Bars / RL Super Skink Rock Sliders
Hypertech Max Energy Engine Tuner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I added cruise control to my 2009 KK last winter while replacing my heater core. Had the entire dash out, and steering column had to be removed - made the cruise control install easier. No reprogramming needed, just plugged and played. Cruise Control works like factory install, no problems.
The only issue - The online descriptions of the cruise wiring harness for your vehicle may not be correct. I needed a harness for the 2 wire horn button and 3 wire cruise connector for a SPORT KK, which is what I ordered. I received a wire harness for a DELUXE steering wheel with radio buttons, horn and cruise. I simply used only the wires I needed.
Also, different KK years (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012) seem to have different part numbers. Read the descriptions carefully before ordering not just the SPORT - DELUXE designation.

Phil

First Commandment of Four Wheeling: Thou shall keep thy momentum, lest the mud rise up and smite thee, dragging thee and thy Jeep down into the bottomless mire.
Farmall: (farm'ol) n The original off road vehicle often used to retrieve momentumless Jeeps, out of the bottomless pit of muck and mire.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like the wiring part number 68020374AA should fit 08-10 but I'll do some searching to try to find out the correct part number for 11-12

68020374AA does not have the radio steering wheel controls just adds cruise control

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

Last edited by toy4everyseason on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:28 pm 
LOST Member

Has anybody done a steering wheel swap for one with built-in radio controls? I wonder if it is as easy, wish it was as cheap!

Dynomax Ultra Flo Catback Exhaust
Hypertech Econ Tuner
245/75r16 Hankook Dyanpro ATMs
16x7 Cragar D Windows
OME HD Front and Rear Springs
Bilstein Shocks and Struts
ATH Front Winch Bumper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just installed my cruise control and wow that was easy thank you for the write up I was nervous about installing it because of the airbag. I've never worked on anything with an airbag and heard horror stories about them but everything went perfect and I have cruise control now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just bought the parts to install in my 08 and was wondering if you still had the pictures of your install as they don't show up in the tread. I'm a little worried about cutting the wheel and wanted to see placement of the cut.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Use a razor blade. It's just foam. Start small. Dry fit the switch. When installed, the switch goes up, down and toward you. Just make sure you remove enough foam to allow switch to move freely. If you make it too big, you won't be able to see it anyway.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:32 am 
LOST Newbie

I install all of it in my KK CRD but it isn't working. :(
Is wireing problem or what?
All fits well but nothing working :banghead:

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Sounds like my next project. Could you please
Update
The pictures?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Geez it's been a while but I finally got logged on & in the process of fixing the broken links since the site I used for image hosting went belly up.