It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: Add remote start to your KK for $99
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:03 am 
LOST Addict

Tonight I installed a plug and play remote start unit in my KK that works with my factory key fob. Pressing the lock button three times will start the Jeep, and pressing three times again while it's running will shut it off. It will rock to be able to start my Jeep from my kitchen and warm it up when it is freezing cold out this winter! :BANANA:

Here are the details of the remote starter and the installation instructions.

The unit is called the Fortin EVO-CHRT5. It is a stand-alone remote start unit, but the device can also be incorporated as a component of more advanced alarm and remote start systems sold by various companies. It can also be bundled with a separate fob for longer range, but I am happy just using my key. Since I don't need any of the fancy features, I bought just the EVO in its simplest configuration. You can find out more about the different models on Fortin's website: http://fortin.ca.

I got the idea to get the EVO remote starter from this thread here on LOST: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=80807

Here is the link I used to purchase the EVO-CHRT5 on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMWS5HK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Several companies sell the EVO on Amazon for less than $99, but Car Alarm Depot will pre-program the firmware for your KK so you don't have to buy the additional $60 harness/cradle to hook it up to your computer. The cradle is PC-only and I have a Mac, so pre-programming was worth the difference in cost to me. All you have to do is to contact Car Alarm Depot from your order page on Amazon after purchasing the device, and tell them the year, make and model of your Jeep, and it will be ready to install right out of the box.

The installation instruction booklet that comes with the EVO is worth studying, to make sure you know how the wires connect and which configuration to use. For a stand-alone installation on a 2008-2012 KK, use the diagram labeled letter "C". (Verify this with yours in case anything has changed.) However, the literature is not very user-friendly for step by step installation instructions in the Jeep. Luckily You-Tube has a terrific KK-specific how-to video! Here are my notes from doing the install myself:

1. Prepare the wire harnesses
The EVO comes with two fairly complex wire harnesses. There are a pair of wires on each harness that must be connected together manually. I stripped and soldered them to make sure I had good connections, then covered the connections with black electrical tape to prevent short circuiting. The wires I connected together were A) The yellow wire to the yellow wire, and B) The purple wire to the red & green wire. You'll have a mess of other wires on the white wire harness that won't connect to anything because they are for more complicated alarm and remote start features that you don't have. No worries. Just wrap them up neatly and secure them with a twist tie. The wires you need to join are in your instruction manual, so be sure to check it in case the wire colors have changed since this writing.

2. Install in the Jeep
A. You'll first need to remove the drivers side kick panel by pulling down on it from under the steering wheel. It is held on by metal clips that will let go with enough force. The kick panel will fold down like the glove box, and then you can slide it to the left to remove it.

B. Next, remove the lower plastic trim from the steering column. There are three torx screws holding that on from underneath. Once the screws are removed, pull down on it and it should un-snap from the upper plastic trim. Put that aside too.

C. Everything from here on out is detailed in this great KK-specific You-Tube video. Watch it several times before continuing so you know what you're doing before installing the EVO. The video is so good, I don't need any pictures in this thread.
Link: http://youtu.be/yRfAKO8npIQ

D. Locate the rectangular electronic immobilizer next to the ignition lock cylinder. You will need to remove the wire harness from the front of it. The wire harness has a tab on the steering column side that must be pushed down in order to pull out the pigtail from the immobilizer. This is tricky and took some time. Don't break this, or I imagine you'd be screwed. :shock:

E. Connect the two large black connectors on the EVO's big wire harness to the wire pigtail you just disconnected and to the immobilizer.

F. Make sure nothing is hooked up to the EVO unit yet. While holding down the button on the EVO, connect the black 4-pin connector to the EVO first. The light will turn blue, and as soon as it does, release the button. The light should stay blue. If it turns red, you waited too long. Just disconnect everything from the EVO and start this step over.

G. Plug the rest of the connectors from both wire harnesses into the EVO. You will have a couple of unused connectors left over. Again, these a for more expensive systems that you don't have, so no worries. You wanted a $99 remore start, remember? 8) Each connection is a unique shape and color, so there is no danger of doing it wrong.

H) Next, put the key in the ignition and turn it to RUN, but don't start the Jeep. The blue light on the EVO will flash rapidly. At this point, turn the Jeep off and take out the key.

I) Press the LOCK button once on your key fob. The blue light on the EVO will go out, and the device is now programmed to your KK.

3. Test the remote starter
Press the LOCK button three times and the Jeep should start up! Press LOCK again three times and it will turn off. :rockon:

4. Button everything back up
A) I secured the EVO using a cable tie to the right side of the under-dash compartment, through a hole in a black plastic piece adjacent to the center console. You can secure yours wherever you like, but make sure it doesn't get in the way of the steering gears, any of your foot pedals, or pull on the wires when the steering wheel is adjusted up or down.

B) When you put the plastic trim back on to the bottom of the steering column, make sure your wire harness that goes into the immobilizer is not in the way. On my first try, I put the harness under the immobilizer. This did not work well, because the lock cylinder would not turn easily after the lower trim was reinstalled. I had better luck tucking the wire harness up beside the immobilizer. There was enough room there so the plastic trim wasn't being pushed up against the lock cylinder, interfering with the way it needs to turn and/or telescope in and out. You may have to experiment with different wire harness positions, installing the plastic trim and then trying to start the Jeep with the physical key, turn it off, and remove the key to verify it operates smoothly.

C) Reinstall the kick panel and you are done!

5. Next time it snows, warm up your Jeep from indoors! :pepper:
I will make sure to leave my Jeep on defrost mode, cranked up to max heat, with the windshield wipers off when I park it. If you leave your wipers on, and later start up your Jeep after they have frozen to the windshield, you can burn out your wiper motor or damage the windshield wipers.

The whole installation process took me about an hour, including soldering the connections, figuring out how to remove the OEM wire harness from the immobilizer, and how to position the EVO's harnesses best to reinstall the steering column cover. The professional in the You-Tube video said it could be done in 15 minutes. I suppose that is true if you've done it before! Maybe this write-up will help it go more quickly for you. Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be glad to help.

All in all, I am very happy with the Fortin EVO-CHRT5 unit, and it really is plug and play for the DIY-er!

Cheers and happy :JEEPIN:,
lfhoward

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Add remote start to your KK for $99
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am 
LOST Addict

From the 2008 KK owners manual, page 22:

Quote:
Sound Horn with Lock
This feature will cause the horn to chirp when the doors are locked with the transmitter. This feature can be turned on or turned off. To change the current setting, proceed as follows:

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to “Sound Horn with Remote Key Lock,” under “Personal Settings (Customer Programmable Features),” under “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in Section 4 of this manual.

• For vehicles not equipped with the EVIC, perform the following steps:
1. Press the Lock button on a programmed (i.e. functional) transmitter for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, press the Panic button while still holding the Lock button.
2. Release both buttons at the same time.
3. Test the feature from outside the vehicle by pressing the Lock button on the transmitter.
4. Repeat these steps if you want to return this feature to its previous setting.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you get in after remote starting and hit the brake pedal, does the car turn off?

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

toy4everyseason wrote:
If you get in after remote starting and hit the brake pedal, does the car turn off?

It should shut off with brake everyother company's does lol this might be the way to go I might have to do this mod. I have been wanting to but I was looking at Viper but they start at like $250

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
toy4everyseason wrote:

It should shut off with brake everyother company's does lol this might be the way to go I might have to do this mod. I have been wanting to but I was looking at Viper but they start at like $250

I agree that it should but you know what happens when you assume :mrgreen: $99 for remote start sounds pretty easy to stomach

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:54 am 
LOST Junkie

toy4everyseason wrote:

Yes it does.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:00 am 
LOST Addict

12KK SFD wrote:
toy4everyseason wrote:

Yes it does.

X2. If you step on the brake, it will shut off in a couple of seconds. If during that time you stick your key in the ignition and turn it to RUN, the Jeep will remain on and you can drive it without having to restart.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:33 am 
LOST Junkie

Ordering this this week

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mine should be here today, if everything goes well, I'll let everyone know where I got it & how much.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well my install failed. Seems the seller didn't enable the 3x lock remote starting function like I requested. He is supposed to be sending me the updater usb kit so I can program it but we'll see if he comes through. Because of his mistake, I would not recommend using him as a source for the part.

Last edited by toy4everyseason on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:14 am 
LOST Addict

toy4everyseason wrote:
Well my install failed. Seems the seller didn't enable the 3x lock remote starting function like I requested. He is supposed to be sending me the updater usb kit so I can program it but we'll see if he comes through. Because of his mistake, I would not recommend using his as a source for the part.

Well, that's frustrating. Which seller did you use? Was it Car Alarm Depot?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lfhoward wrote:
toy4everyseason wrote:
Well my install failed. Seems the seller didn't enable the 3x lock remote starting function like I requested. He is supposed to be sending me the updater usb kit so I can program it but we'll see if he comes through. Because of his mistake, I would not recommend using his as a source for the part.

Well, that's frustrating. Which seller did you use? Was it Car Alarm Depot?

theaudioshop123 on ebay

otherwise, if it would have worked it would have only took me 15min to install but :cry:

Well the seller came thru & it took about 5 minutes to install the software, update the Fortin & it worked fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just to update this a little with the tools needed for disassembly of the column.

You'll need a Torex T-20 screwdriver or key long enough to get to the screws closest to the steering wheel. I used a pick to depress the tap on the immobilizer connector and a needle nose pliers to pull it out carefully.

Even when tucking the t-harness from the EVO up behind the immobilizer, I had the ignition cylinder rubbing and sticking on the column plastic so I removed it and trimed the upper part of the plastic ring with a dremel. Worked like a charm.

By the way, the amount this remote starter can do become alarmingly clear with the Flashlink USB Updater, its just plain cool. I'm seriously considering buying the updater just to play around with all the options. And yes both keys work even though you only use one for programing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When you hit the lock button 3 times does the jeep honk 3 times too?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:31 am 
LOST Addict

this would be a great mod for me if I didn't have a huge piece of metal and glass on my roof... my key works from 20 feet away. viper has their own key and antenna so that would definitely get me more then 20 feet. the only time remote start is really helpful is winter, which is almost over. ill eventually install a viper 2 way communication system, not on my high priority list. but thank you for the write up!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:02 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
When you hit the lock button 3 times does the jeep honk 3 times too?

By default it does, but you can turn off that feature.

From the 2008 KK owners manual, page 22:

Quote:
Sound Horn with Lock
This feature will cause the horn to chirp when the doors are locked with the transmitter. This feature can be turned on or turned off. To change the current setting, proceed as follows:

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to “Sound Horn with Remote Key Lock,” under “Personal Settings (Customer Programmable Features),” under “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in Section 4 of this manual.

• For vehicles not equipped with the EVIC, perform the following steps:
1. Press the Lock button on a programmed (i.e. functional) transmitter for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, press the Panic button while still holding the Lock button.
2. Release both buttons at the same time.
3. Test the feature from outside the vehicle by pressing the Lock button on the transmitter.
4. Repeat these steps if you want to return this feature to its previous setting.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Do you know what the Purple wire that connects to Green/Red wire controls? Also, did you connect any of the three other wires for parking lights, hood pin and external output?

2010 KK Renegade Natural Green Pearl Coat - At The Helm Roof Side Rails - Thule Aero Blades - SoundOff Signal Pinnacle Mini Led Lightbar - Feniex LED Hideaways - Feniex 4200 Mini Controller - Fortin Evo-CHRT-5 - Weathertech Floor Mats - Travall Rear Divider - Mobil One Full Synthetic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:00 am 
LOST Addict

Hey Eag1eOne,
The manual purple to red/green connection is different depending on the vehicle the Evo is installed in. For our Jeeps, the instructions said to connect those two specific wires. Not sure what they do-- I'm thinking either power to the device or maybe an important communication signal from the Jeep's computer that allows it to run.
I didn't try to connect the Evo to the parking lights or other options. It sounds cool, but I didn't want to mess with the Jeep's wiring. Aside from the purple to red/green connection on the Evo itself, the device is totally plug and play, and the remote start is all I wanted. Still works great!
Hope this helps!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I installed this in no time flat and it works great so far! I really think the paper instructions make it look way more complicated then it is. Thank-you for your awesome tutorial. I just wish there was some more info on hooking up the parking lights. I found something about needing a relay because of the negative output...

2010 KK Renegade Natural Green Pearl Coat - At The Helm Roof Side Rails - Thule Aero Blades - SoundOff Signal Pinnacle Mini Led Lightbar - Feniex LED Hideaways - Feniex 4200 Mini Controller - Fortin Evo-CHRT-5 - Weathertech Floor Mats - Travall Rear Divider - Mobil One Full Synthetic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:41 pm 
LOST Addict

You're welcome for the tutorial. Glad the Evo is working well for you.

If you do figure out how to add the accessories like parking lights, that would make a great addition to this how-to thread!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates