It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How-To Install New Power Steering Pump and Rack and Pinion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I am not a professional and was learning the entire time I was doing this. Please do not refer to this as the ONLY way to replace these.

Tools:

Flat Head Screwdriver
T25 Torx Screwdriver/Ratchet Attachment
Ratchet
Ratchet Extensions
8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 15mm, 3/4", and 24mm Sockets
10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 13/16", and 24mm Wrenches
5/8" and 18mm Line Wrenches
Small-Medium Pliers
Pulley Installer and Remover
Drip Pan
Rags
PATIENCE...

Parts:

Rack and Pinion
Power Steering Pump
At Least 2qts of ATF+4 Transmission Fluid (this is what power steering fluid uses)
5w-20 Motor Oil (I had to take off the oil filter and if you need to top off your oil after reinstall this is what it is for)

Steps:

1. Park with parking brake and run the seat belt through the steering wheel to keep wheel and shaft from spinning.

2. Open Hood

3. Remove Negative Battery Cable

4. Move Hood Release Cable out of the way to remove the Grille

5. Remove the Grille

Remove plastic fasteners and lift top over the hood bump stops, undo clips from atop headlight housing and use flat head screwdriver to the hidden clip off the side of the headlight housing, pull towards you and set aside.

Tricky Clip

6. Remove Headlight Housing

Using the T25 torx screwdriver remove the 3 screws mounting the housing, then unplug headlights/fog light via quarter-turn counter-clockwise.

7. Remove the Coolant/Wiper Fluid Tank

Using the T25 torx screwdriver remove the four screws mounting the tank, unscrew the radiator cap a quarter-turn and remove hose, unplug wiper pump connector via using the torx screwdriver to poke the hole and pulling up on the connector and remove hoses (90degree hose can be removed after tank is outside the engine bay, wiper fluid will slowly drain after removal of 90degree hose).

Top two screws

Wiper Connector

Driver's Side Bottom Screw

Passenger's Side Bottom Screw

8. Remove Fan Shroud

Using a 8mm socket remove the three screws mounting the fan shroud, after screws are removed lift shroud enough to unplug the fan's connector (use the flathead to pry the clip and pull out), then using the 10mm socket remove the bolt securing the wire harness connector and remove wire from shroud, set aside shroud.

Driver's Side Screw

Passenger's Side Screw

Bottom Screw (Transmission cooler lines are here)

Fan's Connector (put flathead's tip where red dash is)

Wire Harness Connector's Bolt

Finesse the fan shroud off and out.

9. Remove Serpentine Belt

Using a 5/8" socket (and a pipe extension) "tighten" the ribbed pulley (left pulley) on the belt tensioner (this goes against the torsion spring in the tensioner and releases pressure off the belt) and remove belt off of a pulley, work belt out of the engine bay.

10. Remove the Power Steering Pump

If there's fluid in the system try sucking as much out of the reservoir with a siphon (I didn't have any in there, hence why I needed to replace it all this haha). There are three 13mm bolts that you can reach via the holes in the pulley. Remove bottom to top. This will give you access to the send/return lines under the power steering pump. TIP: I removed the 4 10mm bolts that secured the fan so that I can have more wiggle room with moving the pump. There will be an all rubber hose with a pinch hose clamp on it. Angling the pump, use pliers to squeeze the hose clamp and slide it down the hose about 2"-3". The other metal line needs a 5/8" line wrench to loosen it, once loosened you can unthread with your fingers. Remove pump and place in a bucket or drip tray.

Power Steering Pump

Rubber Hose and Clamp

Metal Line (needs 5/8" line wrench)

13. Remove Pulley off Old Pump

Using a pulley puller, slide the bracket around pulley and using keeping the big wrench still, use the smaller wrench and tighten it to pull the pulley of the shaft. Save pulley for later.

12. Remove Fluid Reservoir from Old Pump and Re-install on New Pump

There are three 10mm bolts holding the fluid reservoir to the pump, two on the back and one on the front that is now available for access now that the pulley is off. After the bolts are out just pull the reservoir off gently. Take new pump and install the reservoir back the same way you took of the old one.

Back Two Bolts

Front Bolt (accessible after removing pulley)

Fluid Reservoir-Pump Connection Port

14. Re-install the Pulley on New Pump

Using the pulley installer, place pulley on top of new pump shaft and thread the installer into the pulley shaft and tighten until the inside of the pulley is flush with the shaft.

***If you do not need to replace the rack and pinion then move on to step 19***

15. Jack Up Front End and Remove Tires

16. Remove Outer Tire Rod Ends

With a pry bar press the ball joint further onto the knuckle and using a 13/16" wrench remove the nut and hammer the knuckle down so the ball joint pops out. Using a 24mm wrench back off the nut and then twist off the outer tie rod. COUNT THE AMOUNT OF TURNS IT TAKES AND WRITE IT DOWN FOR RE-INSTALL!

Outer Tire Removed (circled are the ball joint, knuckle mount hole, and securing nut for tie rod)

17. Remove Old Rack and Pinion

Using an 13mm sock and ratchet remove the alignment/compression bolt from the steering shaft to the rack and pinion shaft (I had to cheat and use an impact gun to zap it off because it was ON THERE) and pull up to remove the u-joint. Remove the two send/return lines with an 18mm line wrench (keep drip tray under vehicle) and out of the way. Using a 24mm wrench and 24mm socket, undo the two nuts off the underside of the cross member that mount the rack and pinion. Now for the fun part...patience...a lot of if. This could be done with one person but two people make it easier...twist the the steering shaft on the rack and pinion until it clears the engine pulley (I ended up removing the oil filter and oil filter drip tray/funnel to allow access to move the rack a little bit more). Remove the rack and pinion as gently as possible out the passenger's side wheel well. Unfortunately there is no easy way in remove this.

EDIT: After doing this again, I've managed to do it without removing the oil filter by removing the front differential mounting bracket. Best bet is to cut that bolt, or have a another 1/2" bolt, to be shorter so that you can remove it that much easier to work on.

Steering Shaft Alignment/Compression Bolt

Send/Return Lines on Rack and Pinion

18. Re-install New Rack and Pinion

Out the same way it came, re-install the new rack and pinion trying to be even more gentle than the old one. This goes in a little easier than removal but it's still a pain. Re-install the mounting bolts, send/return lines, and steering shaft alignment/compression bolt.

19. Re-install New Power Steering Pump

Re-install send/return lines and re-mount with the three bolts. (If you unbolted the fan re-bolt it now)

20. Cycle Fluid

With the belt still off, fill the fluid reservoir and turn the pulley counter-clockwise cycling the pump. This will lube up the pump so it doesn't destroy itself.

21. Re-install Serpentine Belt

Route everything but one pulley (I like to use the alternator pulley as the last one) and then tighten the belt tensioner pulley to give slack until you can properly install the belt onto the last pulley.

22. Re-install the Fan Shroud

23. Re-install the Coolant/Washer Fluid Tank

24. Re-install the Headlamps

25. Re-install the Grille

26. Power Steering Fluid Fill

With the front wheels off the ground, top of the reservoir with fluid and turn on the engine cycling the fluid throughout the system, then turn off as soon as fluid is gone. Continue to do this until it does not empty the reservoir. After this turn on the engine and rotate the steering wheel from lock to lock to center pushing out any air bubbles. If reservoir is low top off. Continue to do this until the grinding whining noise stops or is very low. Leave power steering fluid cap off for a few hours to allow any remaining air bubbles to work its way out the system. Come back after eating dinner and put the cap back on and go for a test drive to test out the system. If everything works:

27. GET AN ALIGNMENT

For those that follow this How-To I am not liable for any damages you did to your Jeep, yourself, or others.

Last edited by NAMoulton1 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:40 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How-To Install New Power Steering Pump and Rack and Pini
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Awesome write-up, NAMoulton1! :rockon:

Props to you for having the guts to tear into your KK like that and persevere when the going got tough. :JEEPIN: Thanks also for recording your process so others can benefit!

I am bookmarking this in the KK How-To's Index.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=80240

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Last edited by lfhoward on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the write up. You made it seem pretty easy. I like that you added the red to show specifics for areas in pictures.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:10 pm 
LOST Addict

*Edited Write-up*

Thanks for proofreading lfhoward. It's necessary to tear into her when your power steering goes away haha (I wish that on NO ONE...especially with larger tires).

Gage, I try to do that because there's a lot of other bolts and nuts floating around inside the engine bay haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:24 pm 
LOST Addict

I bet you're happy to have power steering again. Does the KK feel crazy light after needing some serious arm strength to turn the wheel for the last few weeks?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:36 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
I bet you're happy to have power steering again. Does the KK feel crazy light after needing some serious arm strength to turn the wheel for the last few weeks?

You have no idea...I just can't wait for the alignment tomorrow afternoon haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:58 pm 
LOST Addict

What's crazy is that only a few decades ago, power steering was an OPTION. :frankie:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:12 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
What's crazy is that only a few decades ago, power steering was an OPTION. :frankie:

To be fair, there was a reason why they used to have bigger steering wheels. The bigger the wheel, the easier it is to turn. Made a world of difference back then.

Good write up! Thanks for making it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I have learned to never take power steering for granted...it's so smooth!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:36 pm 
LOST Addict

I just reread the thread and I'm glad you put the right fluid in. :D
I've definitely used this forum for help clarifying correct power steering fluid for this Jeep is in fact AT+4. :JEEPIN:

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Gageraid wrote:
I've definitely used this forum for help clarifying correct power steering fluid for this Jeep is in fact AT+4. :JEEPIN:

I couldn't believe it when I read it at first. I looked here and learned that there used to be a specific power steering fluid for early model KJs but then switched to ATF+4 in the later years. I had to call the local dealership for their knowledge haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:32 am 
LOST Member

NAMoulton1 wrote:
Gageraid wrote:

I couldn't believe it when I read it at first. I looked here and learned that there used to be a specific power steering fluid for early model KJs but then switched to ATF+4 in the later years. I had to call the local dealership for their knowledge haha.
so say i used the incorrect fluid a while ago. What could happen and is it easy to drain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:40 pm 
LOST Addict

dcbelcher26 wrote:
so say i used the incorrect fluid a while ago. What could happen and is it easy to drain?

Is it that clear fluid that is specifically called Power Steering fluid? I have no idea what would happen haha. But if you're worried I would do what Tom does with and suck it out and refill with ATF+4 and do that for a couple days and that should replace all the fluid. But from what I've read, there's not much difference between the two fluids. Transmission fluid just makes it easier to manage all the fluids haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:43 pm 
LOST Member

NAMoulton1 wrote:
dcbelcher26 wrote:

Is it that clear fluid that is specifically called Power Steering fluid? I have no idea what would happen haha. But if you're worried I would do what Tom does with and suck it out and refill with ATF+4 and do that for a couple days and that should replace all the fluid. But from what I've read, there's not much difference between the two fluids. Transmission fluid just makes it easier to manage all the fluids haha.

Yea it was just regular power steering fluid haha. I had it in my basement and just assumed thats what my jeep took. I only topped it off cause it was a little low so i didn't put that much in. It should be fine. At least thats what I'm telling myself

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:50 pm 
LOST Addict

dcbelcher26 wrote:
NAMoulton1 wrote:
dcbelcher26 wrote:

Yea it was just regular power steering fluid haha. I had it in my basement and just assumed thats what my jeep took. I only topped it off cause it was a little low so i didn't put that much in. It should be fine. At least thats what I'm telling myself

I have zero idea what I'm talking about, but if it ain't broken don't fix it haha. If it's not broken after however many miles you put on it, I don't forsee it breaking anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:49 am 
LOST Addict

Fixed broken pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:00 am 
LOST Addict

NAMoulton1 wrote:
Fixed broken pictures.

Thank you, NAM!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:41 am 
LOST Addict

Fixed broken pictures again...sorry it took so long.