It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Front locker
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I meant the turning in 4wd. My apologies, I should have specified.

And yep, open diffs. The TCS acts as a locker by using the brakes to stop wheels(it isn't always the best...). LSDs like the true trac work great in our Jeeps because of it though.

Changing diff fluid is super easy. Undo the bolts(start at the bottom). Pop the cover off, inspect it and clean out anything, then clean the seals, add RTV, and bolt the cover back on. Then fill it with oil. In the front, undo the drain plug, then put it back in, and fill it with oil.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:34 pm 
LOST Addict

I knew a guy that drove his Rubicon of the lot and 40 miles later he had $10k put into it.

and if I screw up changing diff oil, take my jeep away from me please! haha

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:38 pm 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
I knew a guy that drove his Rubicon of the lot and 40 miles later he had $10k put into it.

haha I've done some pretty hairbrained crap during normal maintenance on my Jeep that ended up being more expensive because of it. It could happen to any one. the only thing that could go wrong is the fluid. Just make sure you sure the right kind and viscosity. I did mine a few days ago and it wasn't bad at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:38 pm 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:

modifying a liberty is a lot different than modding a rubicon haha. Lets be honest. How many people would buy a brand new liberty for the sole purpose of wheeling it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:46 pm 
LOST Addict

The biggest difference is most KK stuff is custom made, the Rubicon you can build out of a book...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:52 pm 
LOST Addict

completely agree. uni body versus body on frame. our options are limited to the kits available or we manufacture our own lit some how. that is up until the ifs reaches its limit. which seems to be around 4 to 4.5 inches. but wranglers have so many mods out there. more then 4 reputable manufacturers for them. body lift would be jolly for us liberty body on frame owners. which is quite obvious that it isn't possible with a uni body.

and Bmxer, their stuff is custom as well. I just wish Teraflex came through with some products for us ifs guys. I know its not going to change anything except reliability.

id love to own a tj and dump my money in to it instead of my KK.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Texasrugby911 wrote:
That clicking you hear when you engage 4x4 is basically the tcase engaging . If you had auto lockers you could hear those suckers plain as day clicking and locking when they are functioning. Although there is a chance that you have an e-locker, I don't think so due to the fact that there would be an extra switch in the cab to activate it. You may have an issue with you power steering pump or rack and pinion.

sorry, yes I do hear the transfer case engaging but there sounds like there is another "click" "pop" during engaging the tcase.
are stock "LSD" really that good on libertys? I've pulled a jeep out of a mud pit before and the only slippage that was happening was because their tj was stuck good! my KK has always done well with traction on trails. never need to back up and punch it!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:19 pm 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
Texasrugby911 wrote:
That clicking you hear when you engage 4x4 is basically the tcase engaging . If you had auto lockers you could hear those suckers plain as day clicking and locking when they are functioning. Although there is a chance that you have an e-locker, I don't think so due to the fact that there would be an extra switch in the cab to activate it. You may have an issue with you power steering pump or rack and pinion.

sorry, yes I do hear the transfer case engaging but there sounds like there is another "click" "pop" during engaging the tcase.
are stock "LSD" really that good on libertys? I've pulled a jeep out of a mud pit before and the only slippage that was happening was because their tj was stuck good! my KK has always done well with traction on trails. never need to back up and punch it!

Hmm, that is interesting, I guess we will only know when you pop that sucker open! ha ha
As Bmxer siad earlier, our TCS works very well in tandem with the LSDs, providing more traction when needed. I wheel the bejesus out of my KK all in the rocks, and stay away from mud when I can, and I seldom have traction issues when in the rocks. For me, punching it is a roll of the dice: you either make it or break it. Not my kind of gambling. Now wet rocks on the other hand... That is a whole new ball game

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:27 pm 
LOST Addict

but mud is the best! you cant do donuts on boulders... well, that's with 31s.

and I didn't clarify the type of slippage happening when I pulled him out. all 4 wheels were slipping without traction control engaging. the mud type was clay.

the tj got stuck because he had open diffs. no LSD or lockers. completely open with a 2" lift.

that whole trail was very difficult and traction control kept robbing my power when I needed it. I probably should have pulled the fuse, but the manual was at home 400 miles north. no data, and the interior of the fuse box lettering is very difficult to see.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Hit the button next time. It won't rob power, but it'll tap the brakes to shift power between the wheels. Wit h on it'll shut down power, with it off, it's just light brake work. So far I've hit the rev limiter in 2nd gear this winter. In 3rd she doesn't have enough power to get much past 4k.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Bmxer524 wrote:
Hit the button next time. It won't rob power, but it'll tap the brakes to shift power between the wheels. Wit h on it'll shut down power, with it off, it's just light brake work. So far I've hit the rev limiter in 2nd gear this winter. In 3rd she doesn't have enough power to get much past 4k.

that button should be broken by now! every morning, its pressed. does nothing really. the tolerance is just too low to do much of anything helpful. in 4 low ive taken it up to 4k rpm, that was the longest 2 seconds of my life. I usually keep it at 2k rpm and "usually" max out at 3k rpm in 1st. 2nd, always around 2500 rpm. 2nd I use for flat areas that allow me to go 10 mph.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle