It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front locker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:49 pm 
LOST Member

I'm looking into auto lockers for the front of my 08 KK. Possibly the lokka (aussie locker). Anyone have experience with this? How does it function with the traction control? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Front locker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:25 pm 
LOST Addict

dcbelcher26 wrote:
I'm looking into auto lockers for the front of my 08 KK. Possibly the lokka (aussie locker). Anyone have experience with this? How does it function with the traction control? Thanks

This is been discussed many times before. I wouldn't do it.

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Search for a thread by Diggerfreek where he describes blowing up his lunchbox Aussie locker...

The only lockers I've heard good things about in our trucks are ARB's and Detroit TrueTracs (the latter being limited slip, not a true locker).

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I have OX lockers in my KJ. I perfer it over a ARB. No seals to blow out.

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:56 pm 
LOST Member

Ive read that thread before, digger blew up is locker in the rear though. I'm thinking of putting one up front which would only engage in 4x4 not all the time like it would in the rear.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:22 am 
LOST Addict

Up front a selectable locker or LSD is probably the best bet. Generally auto lockers engage under torque, so any time you hit the gas it'll lock. When the front is locked, turning becomes very difficult. Just something to be aware of.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:16 pm 
LOST Member

I have friends with TJs with the auto lockers up front. They only engage in 4x4 cause they're rear wheel drive on the street, same as the kk. Off road or even in the snow they have no issues. Is the kk different in the matter because of the ifs?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:31 pm 
LOST Member

dcbelcher26 wrote:
I have friends with TJs with the auto lockers up front. They only engage in 4x4 cause they're rear wheel drive on the street, same as the kk. Off road or even in the snow they have no issues. Is the kk different in the matter because of the ifs?

Nope, You are exactly right. The locker will only lock when torque is applied from the drive shaft, which would only happen when the KK is in 4hi or 4low. As long as you do not have the 4wd engaged, you wont have any locking issues. I have red though, that is extremely difficult to turn with the 4wd engaged. Check out this link for a ton of good information about the Aussie Locker, which is bacisally exactly the same as the LOKKA. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f249/aus ... er-771846/

I ultimately decided against it due to the horror stories I have heard, the fact that I have to do technical turns out in the rocks crawling, and the fact that being a maunal tranny it would be impossible to put a locker out back because I have to shift during most turns which is no beuno for an auto locker on the streets. :2cents:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:50 pm 
LOST Member

Texasrugby911 wrote:
dcbelcher26 wrote:

Nope, You are exactly right. The locker will only lock when torque is applied from the drive shaft, which would only happen when the KK is in 4hi or 4low. As long as you do not have the 4wd engaged, you wont have any locking issues. I have red though, that is extremely difficult to turn with the 4wd engaged. Check out this link for a ton of good information about the Aussie Locker, which is bacisally exactly the same as the LOKKA. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f249/aus ... er-771846/

I ultimately decided against it due to the horror stories I have heard, the fact that I have to do technical turns out in the rocks crawling, and the fact that being a maunal tranny it would be impossible to put a locker out back because I have to shift during most turns which is no beuno for an auto locker on the streets. :2cents:

Thanks for the info, they have a lot of good info in that thread. Pretty much anyone who put it in the d30 were happy overall. And the way it works, is if you let off the gas while turning in 4x4 it will (should) unlock and allow you to turn easily until you get back on the gas.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:57 pm 
LOST Addict

unless your locker carriage bolt or something else broke I wouldn't go for it. that's just me though. unless you go off roading on some pretty harsh trails every weekend, id stick with stock lockers in the front. rear, throw Detroit on there!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:59 pm 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
unless your locker carriage bolt or something else broke I wouldn't go for it. that's just me though. unless you go off roading on some pretty harsh trails every weekend, id stick with stock lockers in the front. rear, throw Detroit on there!

I wish i had stock lockers haha the brake lock doesn't function nearly as well as a real locker does

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:05 pm 
LOST Addict

I bought my jeep used with just under 12k miles on it. it should have a locker front and rear because turning is a bit*h and the wheel spins when fully articulated.

don't the KKs come with lockers stock? don't even get me started on LSD!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:30 pm 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
I bought my jeep used with just under 12k miles on it. it should have a locker front and rear because turning is a bit*h and the wheel spins when fully articulated.

don't the KKs come with lockers stock? don't even get me started on LSD!

Nope libertys do not come with lockers. Not even the renegade. The only jeep I'm aware of that come with lockers stock is the rubicon. Libertys have a brake lock system when in 4hi and 4lo. Its senses wheel spin and applies the brake automatically to achieve equal traction. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YbxQ6sic2RM this is a great video on the command trac II system

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I remember seeing that video some time ago, obviously forgot about it! the previous owner must have installed a locker for me then. I know there has to be a locker though in the front and rear.

my friend has a truck with LSD, and he's had some trouble hopping up over some boulders that I can easily power through. although, most stock trucks would never dare to go off road!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:46 pm 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
I remember seeing that video some time ago, obviously forgot about it! the previous owner must have installed a locker for me then. I know there has to be a locker though in the front and rear.

my friend has a truck with LSD, and he's had some trouble hopping up over some boulders that I can easily power through. although, most stock trucks would never dare to go off road!

You should call the previous owner up and find out what he put in! So I'm assuming you have trouble accelerating through a corner on the road? Do you hear any clicking/popping from the lockers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:53 pm 
LOST Addict

id call him up if I had the number. dealer should though.

I can barley hear the front click as well as the 4by lo and 4by hi engage. the only times that I engage 4by hi on road is if its a straight away and a little snowy. 99% of the time 4x4 is used on trail. I made the mistake of having it on when I first bought the jeep back in 2013. I had 4by hi on and going 35 mph on a slight curve, I couldn't turn and if I did, it wasn't enough. since then 4by hi has only been on 2 times. just to out race the Cummins truck next to me. the rush you get when a 3.7l v6 beats a 6l v8 Cummins!!! cant beat it!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:05 pm 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:

I can barley hear the front click as well as the 4by lo and 4by hi engage. the only times that I engage 4by hi on road is if its a straight away and a little snowy. 99% of the time 4x4 is used on trail. I made the mistake of having it on when I first bought the jeep back in 2013. I had 4by hi on and going 35 mph on a slight curve, I couldn't turn and if I did, it wasn't enough. since then 4by hi has only been on 2 times. just to out race the Cummins truck next to me. the rush you get when a 3.7l v6 beats a 6l v8 Cummins!!! cant beat it!
looks like it might be time to change the diff fluid haha. Id be so curious to see what was in there. Hopefully they didn't weld the spider gears as a form of locker haha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:09 pm 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:

That clicking you hear when you engage 4x4 is basically the tcase engaging . If you had auto lockers you could hear those suckers plain as day clicking and locking when they are functioning. Although there is a chance that you have an e-locker, I don't think so due to the fact that there would be an extra switch in the cab to activate it. You may have an issue with you power steering pump or rack and pinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:10 pm 
LOST Addict

one of these days ill pop them open. I need to this year though because of a potential water hazard in the rear. might as well open up the front. ive never done that kind of service before. should be easier then my spacer lift...... some members on here know the issues I went through.

I didn't mean to high jack your post dcbelcher26.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:23 pm 
LOST Member

I doubt someone would have installed auto lockers front and rear before 12k miles as well. Especially stock. Pray for lockers and hope nothing is broken. And don't worry about the post haha, you're learning right here with me. I'm probably gonna put an Aussie in the front in a couple months when it gets warmer. I have a lot of other stuff to work on before the locker can go in