It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CB Radio how to's
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am 
LOST Addict

CB radios operate on the 11M band (27MHZ)

for communication to work from CB to CB both need a CB, Mic, and a reputable antenna like Firestick and or Wilson.

there are plenty of CB radio manufacturers, but their all based off the same principal.

there are cheep ones that get the job done.
http://www.amazon.com/COBRA-MOBILE-COMPACT-INST-19ULTRAIII/dp/B003EB38C4/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425564084&sr=1-4&keywords=cb+radio

and then there are ones that make it easer on the other end to hear you.
http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARCAT-Sideband-WeatherBand-980SSB/dp/B007B5ZAES/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425564084&sr=1-6&keywords=cb+radio

brand A does the same thing as brand B. the main difference between them is looks, buttons, and functions.

hooking the cb radio up directly to the battery is recommended. avoid any plug in type power deliveries.

a cheep battery isolator only for the cb radio would be handy in order to minimize alternator rpm feedback.

if there is extra cb antenna cable, do not wrap it up neatly as this would cause the wrapped part of the wire to become the antenna. instead, wrap the cord up in no particular manor, no patterns. ball it up and forget about it.

the below paragraphs are from advancedspecialties.net. there is so much information on cb equipment that I would be typing for days to get this out.

WHAT RANGE WILL A CB RADIO GIVE ME?

"Generally Speaking", range for a mobile CB Radio could be anywhere from 1 or 2 miles, to even 20 to 25 Miles or more, depending on the terrain, type of antennas used, & other factors. The "typical" range to expect from a mobile CB, with a good antenna, is about 2 to 5 miles, but you will actually get both more & less than this, in certian areas & terrain, & as you drive around. Home Base Station CB setups, with larger building roof mounted Base antennas, will usually give more range than the ground level mobile units do, & the small handheld "walkie-Talkie styles will usually give much less.

WHAT IS THE BEST ANTENNA FOR MY MOBILE CB RADIO?

There are many variables, but here are some good general guidelines & "Rules of Thumb" to follow. First, The Taller the antenna, the better it will work. Mount your antenna as high as possible on the vehicle, & try to get at least 50% of it over the roofline. Usually, all else being equal, the Tallest, longest antenna you are comfortable with, mounted as high as possible, will give the best performance. For Example, mounting a new 4 foot CB antenna in the same spot where you were using a 2 foot, will usually give better results. It wouldn't really matter what "brand name", color, or style the 2 ft antenna was. Mounting Height on the vehicle, & the antenna length should be more important than other considerations. Keep in mind that, generally, CB antennas that are less than 3 feet tall, those that "stick to the glass", & the AM/FM/CB "combo" antennas & adaptors usually do not give the best performance, they are bought & sold mainly for "convienience" & "cosmetic" reasons

ARE CB TRANSMIT AMPLIFIERS (BOOSTERS, MODULATORS, LINEARS?

No. It is against USA FCC rules to use an external transmit Amplifier on CB radio channels in the USA. It is also against current FCC rules to sell or market amps that are capable of operating "out of the box" between the 24-35 Mhz frequencies (CB falls within this range). That being said, there seems to be many places that sell them anyway, However we Do Not sell them.

^^^^ if you do get one and use it, don't be stupid and say where your near. you never know who is listening since it is not a secure com.

WHAT IS THE "FREEBAND", "UPPERS" or "OUTBAND"?

These Terms refer to frequencies or "Extra" channels that are directly above or below the standard 40 CB channels (approx 26-28Mhz). While not FCC assigned for either CB or Amateur use in the USA, These 11 meter freqs are never the less very popular with some hobbyists (worldwide), & are mostly used by "bootleg" CB &/or Amateur operators that internally modify their CB, Amateur, "Export or 10 Meter" Radios to "reach" these channels. Although many of these frequenciess are still "technically" assigned for commercial or other users, Most legitimate licensed users of these frequencies abandoned them long ago, & now you will usually only hear "unlicensed bootleg operators" when monitoring these frequencies.

IF ALL CB's ARE LIMITED TO 4W & 40ch, ISN'T A $69 SET AS GOOD AS A $200 CB?

NO. Factors like Receive sensitivity & selectivity, Noise Filtering & Transmit modulation quality & more will all be better in a more expensive model. You get what you pay for. Also, features like Mic & RF gain controls, Talkback control, built in meter functions, noise blankers, & more, will also vary with different CB's

WHAT IS "SWR" & ANTENNA TUNING?

SWR (Standing Wave Ratio)is a measure of how well your antenna is "matched" or "tuned" to operate at CB channel frequencies, & to your vehicle. Unlike TV, AM/FM or Scanner antennas that do not Transmit, the CB & other "transmit" antennas need to be tuned to operate or Transmit correctly & most effieciently. If severely "out of tune" (having a poor SWR reading), damage to the transmitter can result. While most good CB antennas, when mounted & grounded correctly as the maker intended, will usually have a "safe SWR", keep in mind that it is still a good idea to check & optimize your SWR reading. Regardless of Mfgr's claims, there really is no way to "Factory pretune" mobile antennas for the CB frequencies. The same exact antenna can actually give very different SWR Readings, when mounted on different vehicles, or even in different spots on the same vehicle! Remember, When Setting the SWR you are NOT Matching the Antenna to the Radio, but rather the Antenna to the vehicle, & frequency of operation.

heres a link provided by LFH to properly tune your antenna or antennas: http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Articles/How%20to%20use%20a%20SWR%20meter.htm

you could get away with using a $40 CB radio and a $15 antenna from Wal-Mart, but you aren't ever going to be heard!

there are terms such as top loaded, center loaded (love mine!!!), and NGP antennas. each have their strengths and weaknesses.
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/selection-guides/18542007-choosing-the-best-cb-antenna

Firesticks are popular with off roaders because their legal in clubs and are durable. but do tend to snap in extreme conditions. stainless steel whips are mostly illegal in clubs due to the belief they are more dangerous then a fiberglass whip. if you have a stainless steel whip, you will be asked to tie it down or remove it.

there are various ways of mounting a CB antenna. all is up to your personal performance though some mounting options are better then others.

dcbelcher26: most common Jeep mounting area, not ideal, but with a top loaded antenna, shouldn't be a big deal.

PALiftedKK: not the most ideal area. same idea as rear light mount.

NAMoulton1 mounted front driver side flare: not ideal spot at all; drill holes in the thin sheet metal flare; possibility of spring and antenna making wear marks on clear coat.

Roof mount: the best possible mounting option, but the most inconvenient for garage kept vehicles.

Matt: Bleepin jeep CB tuning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UsOmfVErO8

plese contact me if you would like your picture featured/removed.

Post your CB equipment setup.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

Last edited by PALiftedKK on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: CB Radio how to's
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:08 am 
LOST Addict

I think it would be great if folks would post up the details of the CB systems they run, to help others who are thinking of purchasing. Pics help a lot also, showing ideas for mounting, etc.

Here is my setup.

Cobra 75WXST CB radio: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005N5WW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Firestik 3 foot antenna: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WYYP14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Firestik door jamb mount & antenna cable kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X39TQ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Firestik heavy duty spring: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042LC9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Firestik quick disconnect: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UTQUAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SWR meter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KRME3C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few notes:

The antenna cable can be fed through the vent behind the tail light, behind the plastic interior trim panels up to the front of the Jeep. From there, it can go beneath the glove box to the center console area. I mounted the CB's "brain box" under the center console. The beauty of the Cobra 75WXST CB radio is that all of the functionality is in the handset, which is very easy to mount when there is limited space. The handset can also be disconnected and stowed, so it is not attractive to thieves.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Last edited by lfhoward on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I repositioned my Firestik Antenna mount today. The door jamb mount was bolted to the sheet metal under the top of the right tail light, but vibration was causing the sheet metal to tear. I moved it to bolt to the inside of the tailgate door jamb, which has thicker metal.

The original location of the mount, holes now siliconed closed.

The new location of the mount, sealed with silicone to waterproof it.

Next up is to re-tune the antenna using the SWR meter.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Last edited by lfhoward on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Unless you added or subtracted the antennas length, retuning it should not make any noticeable difference, let alone any.

My co phase Wilsons are not tuned yet and can hear a few miles north and south of the antennas location on the jeep.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

Post subject: CB Radio how to's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:24 am 
LOST Member

Hey thats my jeep! Haha i had to do a double take. Ive had no issues with my mount or cb as of yet. Tuned the swr and i get great range. I have the uniden bearcat 680 cb with the firestik door jamb mount and 4ft firestik antenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:57 am 
LOST Addict

SWR checked.
channel 1: 0 SWR
channel 19: almost no SWR
channel 40: 1.4 or so

All are under 2.0, so it's safe to run my CB radio. Yeah, I could tweak it a little to try and get the high end a little lower, but :juggle:

For Reference: http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Articles/How%20to%20use%20a%20SWR%20meter.htm

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:03 am 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
All are under 2.0, so it's safe to run my CB radio. Yeah, I could tweak it a little to try and get the high end a little lower, but :juggle:

For Reference: http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Articles/How%20to%20use%20a%20SWR%20meter.htm

thanks for that site. I added that to the how to write up.

id love to see another KK with Wilsons or even co-phase! I still have yet to buy another Wilson. for now its just my Wilson and crappy firestick.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:27 am 
LOST Addict

Cool, glad I could help! :BANANA:

I mostly use my CB to listen to the weather forecast, and sometimes the trucker version of the traffic situation up ahead. I only occasionally chat with truckers. Would love to chat with another Jeeper, but never had the opportunity! Maybe someday I will make it to a wheeling meetup and put my CB to good use!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40 am 
LOST Addict

[quote="lfhoward"]Cool, glad I could help! :BANANA:

I mostly use my CB to listen to the weather forecast, and sometimes the trucker version of the traffic situation up ahead. I only occasionally chat with truckers. Would love to chat with another Jeeper, but never had the opportunity! Maybe someday I will make it to a wheeling meetup and put my CB to good use![/quote]

Come to Rausch Creek!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Linking another cool CB thread here: How to route your antenna cable to mount your CB antenna on the fender. The author is ajohns1288.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=81999

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is it possible to do some sort of a swivel mount that "locks" into the vertical position? I'm wanting to run mine off one of the roof rails and when I'm not on the trails or on the highway have it swiveled in the down position. When I'm wheeling or traveling, swivel it up to the vertical position for optimal range and such.

2" Daystar Lift
TJ Moabs w/ 245/75R16 Duratrac's

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:32 pm 
LOST Addict

RenegadeKC wrote:
Is it possible to do some sort of a swivel mount that "locks" into the vertical position? I'm wanting to run mine off one of the roof rails and when I'm not on the trails or on the highway have it swiveled in the down position. When I'm wheeling or traveling, swivel it up to the vertical position for optimal range and such.

Buy a whip and a spring. This configuration is the most flexible. Also a quick disconnect would work.

There is no such device for a "swivel" mount.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

PALiftedKK wrote:
RenegadeKC wrote:

Buy a whip and a spring. This configuration is the most flexible. Also a quick disconnect would work.

I park in a garage, so I want to keep it low, but I want optimum range and performance, that's why I want to mount it on the roof rail.

2" Daystar Lift
TJ Moabs w/ 245/75R16 Duratrac's

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:36 pm 
LOST Addict

RenegadeKC wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:
RenegadeKC wrote:

I park in a garage, so I want to keep it low, but I want optimum range and performance, that's why I want to mount it on the roof rail.

Buy a Wilson magnetic mount. No cb antenna on any vehicle is a good idea in a parking garage!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:21 am 
LOST Addict

PALiftedKK wrote:
RenegadeKC wrote:

Then what's this?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DKHTE2mmt8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:39 pm 
LOST Addict

NAMoulton1 wrote:

Good luck with that swr!!!

Good luck finding his product.

You change the angle just a degree and your swr has completely changed, most likley toward the higher swr.
That product is effectively changing the ground plane of the vehicle, like stated above.

I won't buy any "swivel" mount. :2cents:

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:50 am 
LOST Addict

I took some photos of my CB for Bmxer and figured I would post them here too. This could be of interest for anyone installing the compact Cobra 75WXST.

Pics as requested:

Scangauge on the steering column, velcroed in place so it can be removed if parking in the city. The cable goes behind the dash through the area where the steering wheel tilts, and connects underneath to the OBDII port.

I mounted the bracket for the CB radio to the right of the steering wheel on the dashboard.

Here it is with the CB handset in place.

The "brain box" for the CB radio lives inside the center console next to the shifter, under the 4x4 switch. The port for attaching the handset cable is on the side of the center console just behind the elastic strap and in front of the drivers seat.

Here is the mounting location for the Firestik antenna, above the passenger side tail lamp. I have a spring and a quick disconnect for the antenna attached to the mount. The antenna cable goes through the vent behind the tail light housing, along the floor under the doors behind the gray plastic interior trim, up underneath the glove box area, and into the center console area to the "brain box" of the CB.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any help as you run the cable. All of the interior trim pieces are held on by those metal clips, plus a few screws here and there.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Last edited by lfhoward on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:47 pm 
LOST Addict

I have a stupid question about wiring my Cobra 75 to the battery. Do I need to wire in a fuse, or am I good to go just connecting the wires to the battery? The owners manual doesn't say anything more than wire the red wire to the positive terminal and the black to a ground.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:45 pm 
LOST Member

Bmxer524 wrote:
I have a stupid question about wiring my Cobra 75 to the battery. Do I need to wire in a fuse, or am I good to go just connecting the wires to the battery? The owners manual doesn't say anything more than wire the red wire to the positive terminal and the black to a ground.

Always use a fuse

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk