It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-manufactured engine(jasper) or pull from junkyard
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I had the jeep sputter and die when pulling off the highway earlier, no over temp or other signs, when I tried to restart it it would not turn just a click and a struggle to even turn, had it towed to a shop and they are saying that the engine is shot. They are trying to push a remanfactured engine or a pulled from crashed lib with low miles. Any one have an opinion my "Copper beast" sitting at 112k :cry:

Post subject: Re: Re-manufactured engine(jasper) or pull from junkyard
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:19 pm 
LOST Addict

What was wrong with your engine that they are saying it's toast?

I had a rod bearing go in mine, and had it replaced with a Jasper. I am very happy with it and like the peace of mind of the 3 year, 100K warranty that also covers labor as well as parts. A junkyard engine might be fine, and it may come with a short warranty on parts, but it is definitely more of a gamble.

I think engine replacement is definitely a good way to go if the rest of your Jeep is in good shape and you really like the vehicle. Even with how expensive it is, an engine replacement is a lot cheaper than a new vehicle.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Dude, the symptoms you are explaining sound more like a battery or alternator issue. How mechanically inclined are you? And are you sure what they are saying is correct.....is this a good shop with a good reputation. I would be a little leary.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Depending on the overall vehicle condition I would certainly recommend a Jasper over a junk yard engine. I toured the Jasper plant years ago when I worked as a mechanic and was impressed. I assume cost is also a concern as others have pointed out. As another pointed out are you sure about this shop? Do you have reason to believe it is a catastrophic failure?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

on my mechanical skills, with my old wk with the 3.7 I rebuilt the top end after overheating due to a bad heater core, so yes I do know enough on these dam 3.7's. I had my multimeter with me yesterday and battery had full charge. When on the side of the highway and I was looking at it yesterday as well, found that the radiator had blown the cap with both coolant everywhere and oil all over the top of the engine. The temp gauge never went over halfway but I know it is a dummy gauge, no other lights on the dash, the only thing that did pop up when I came to a stop was the oil pressure gauge flashed on when the rpm's dropped from 2000 to about 250 then back up to 1200 then died. I am having it towed to a better shop on Monday for a second opinion.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

After having it towed to a different shop had the same answer for me, then I thought about calling stealership to see what a mopar engine would cost from factory, they have offered to replace with new engine, radiator, belts, fan, hoses, for about 1,000 less than the other two shops, same warranty as the jasper, I am making my decision by Tuesday, but am leaning towards the stealership, any negatives going that way?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

ksm45280,

What was the final verdict? And what was the damage?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle