It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need some help with replacing all fluids
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, this may be a weighty request, but hoping you could assist in my time of grief.

Just lost my mom to cancer last week. It's been really tough, but I got to spend some nice final moments with her.

Anyway, what brings me here today...

I am in charge of moving all her possessions, and to do so It will be a 10 hour drive, towing a trailer, through steep mountain passes in the heat of the summer.

My 08 Liberty will be the mule for this trip, and since I just hit 100,000km, I figure it's well past time to do some major maintenance.

I have a local mechanic that will be doing all labor for cheap, but I need to supply all parts and fluids.

I was hoping you could help me put together a list of all fluids needed, in what quantities and weights, and any other parts I might need for a complete tune up to make sure I have a safe trip. I no longer can find my vehicles maintenance schedule book, so I really need some help here.

Assume that none of the fluids have ever been changed (save for oil and differentials).

Also, the ride is getting very splashy, so I would also assume I need new suspension. I can't afford springs, but they don't seem to be sagging that much anyway. So some recommendations on a good strut/shock setup that will give me a much better ride would also be very helpful.

So in summary, what do I need for a 100,000km maintenance tune-up, and what shocks/struts do you recommend?

Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: need some help with replacing all fluids
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:51 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

Was wondering if your KK came with the tow package with the auxiliary mechanical radiator fan. It makes a huge difference when towing a trailer thru mountains, as I did just yesterday (NH to PA). I had a 6x12 dual axle Uhaul trailer packed to capacity. Here's how to add the fan if you don't have it: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=76451

I don't know the quantities, but I would have your mechanic do:
Engine oil change (5W20)
Radiator/coolant flush (HOAT coolant only)
Transfer case (ATF+4)
Transmission (ATF+4 and filter)
Differentials (Front: 80w90; Rear: Syn 75-140)
Check Power Steering (ATF+4)
Check brake fluid (DOT3) and brake pad thickness (got to stop that trailer too)
A set of new spark plugs (simple copper works best) and a new air filter will help with a bit of extra power.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:14 pm 
LOST Addict

sorry, for the loss.

if not done so, replace spark plugs. stock are fine.

engine oil is 5w 20, the mechanic should know that. its on the fill cap.

probably should check the transfer case and transmission fluid. if you tow a lot, change it out.

for the suspension, toss it out! factory springs are soft and aren't any good after a year or two. even with a light load.

for the suspension, if you have the time to do so, bmxer did a fantastic collaboration of information on the suspension on our liberty's.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=79401

lfhoward beet me to the post... so follow his write up.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 pm 
LOST Addict

here is the service manual for the KK.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Awesome, this helps so much.

First question: With replacing my shocks/struts, if I'm NOT lifting, can I still use the aftermarket billstein etc? Or will they be too long? Im thinking that down the road I will need to replace the springs with OMEs, but its not in the budget right now and I don't want to have to re-buy shocks/struts again to fit the taller springs.

So do I purchase cheap replacements for now? Or is it possible to get good shocks/struts now, and add the springs later?

Second question: Does anyone know the capacities of the following fluids? Can't find them anywhere online.

Automatic Transmission
Transfer Case
Power Steering
Front Diff
Rear Diff
Brake Fluid

These are the capacities I was able to find on my own:

Engine Oil: 5qt (4.7L)
Engine Coolant: 14qt (13.25L)

I was able to find a site that listed all the capacities for 2007 or earlier, but anything for 2008 and newer has been far more elusive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Page 447:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/jeep/2008-liberty.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjABahUKEwiU6fGOx4HHAhUFGh4KHUNPCbg&usg=AFQjCNGARHeqZnMPzPAG0m7Bj80UipqdwQ&sig2=GeqGFq7u-VpU4czMK4CnPQ

If your not doing these maintnance items, you shouldnt need to worry about the type and quantity of fluid.

Not sure on the quantity of fluid that is required for the transmission or transfer case.

The front and rear diffs get drained cleaned out and filled back up till the oil flows out of the carrier.

I wouldnt buy cheep shocks then go to bilstien. Your spending more then you would need to. Plus would affect ride quality slightly in a positive way. Your springs will still be shot so ride quality and hight while towing that trailer wont be so great.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Just for us amaricans, his kk is at around 62k miles.

Lfh mentioned this, but if you are going to be towing, you should definentally consider the hd tow package. It improves cooling of the engine (which will be held at higher rpms there for needing to expel heat quicker), transmisson, and air conditioner. The transmission and air conditioner are on the same radiator (fluid isolated). If you didnt have this you risk over heating said items above.

Part numbers for the package are as follows:

P/N 55116884AA (fan)
P/N 52079718AD (clutch)

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:07 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry, I guess I didn't clarify well.

First off, my jeep did come with the towing package.

Second, I need to know the volume of the fluids because I must supply all the materials (incl fluids and gaskets) to my mechanic. He only charges me labor. It is a family friend, and this is just the way he works.

I got a buddy giving me a nice discount at a local parts shop, so I need to know approx how many gallon bottles of ATF fluid I'll, need, brake fluid, etc etc. as per the list I just posted.

Ok, so with the suspension, you're saying there really isn't much point in doing just one or the other, the problem is both springs and dampeners? So what combination of springs and shocks/struts will provide a better ride than stock, more stable ride, without lifting so high that I need to make modifications? Don't even know if this is an option, do I have to lift if I want to upgrade my springs?

So in summary

a) Still looking for the fluid capacity of the transmission, transfer care, front and rear diffs, power steering system, brake system, (or at least how many bottles/jugs I'll need of each fluid)

b) to clarify, you recommend that I DO NOT install new shocks WITHOUT new springs? And if this is the case what springs are available that aren't lifted springs (wife doesn't want a tall, tippy vehicle she feels unsafe driving)

c) also to clarify, if slightly longer aftermarket shocks (such as the billsteins) are installed with stock height springs, they would not fit or function properly?

Sorry, don't mean to be asking so many questions, but my heads still a mess. It's only been a little over a week since we lost mom and I'm really scrambled. I spend hours searching online for answers to all these questions and I just get more confused. At least I know you guys around here know your stuff and aren't going to steer me wrong. I very much appreciate all your help everyone, truly.

Thanks for your patience.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:28 am 
LOST Addict

I found my paperwork from my last big KK service and it might help clear things up a little. It lists the quantity for all of the fluids the mechanic used, but doesn't tell me the size bottles they came in. I am assuming quarts, but not entirely sure. (Engine oil says Qty of 5, which would be quarts.)

I had them change the T-case and Transmission fluids, which were both ATF+4. My paperwork says this:
Parts/Material Description Qty
ATF+4 ATF PLUS 4 FLUID 8.00

And for the front diff:
80W90 DIFFERENTIAL FLUID 2.00

And the rear diff:
75-140 GEAR LUBE 2.00

And as for springs and shocks:
My understanding is that if the springs are worn out, they will put extra wear and tear on any brand new shocks you put in, so they won't last as long. But new shocks will improve the ride somewhat in the short term.

If I were seriously thinking of improving the ride and handling, I would be looking at the OME (Old Man Emu) 1.5 inch lift kit, which includes springs and shocks. (You actually get 2-2.5 inches of lift with this, but OME advertises it as 1.5 inches.) Everybody on here who has it says the ride is very much better than stock, including less wallowing of the front end when coming to a stop, more stable through turns, and less harsh over bumps. It will be slightly higher than the stock suspension, but it won't make the Jeep feel top heavy and unstable. The OME lift kit keeps you at a height where it is not necessary to change anything else like control arms, track bars, or the like. Those items come into play at 3.5+ inches of lift. Stock tire sizes look and function just fine at 2 inches of lift, so no need to get bigger tires unless you want to. The whole OME kit is available at JeepinByAl.com for approximately $835. Here is a link:
http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2008-2012-kk/econo-lift-kits-for-the-kk.html
All you would need after installing the OME kit would be an alignment.

BMXer, Gage, PAliftedKK, and others, am I missing anything?

Hope this helps!
Lauren

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:52 am 
LOST Addict

Think you guys covered everything.
I'd also suggest cleaning the throttle body.
Sorry for your loss.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:29 pm 
LOST Addict

That's one less thing that needs to be installed or bought (tow package)!

I'd look into replacing the rear shocks and or springs before your first haul. The springs are all around weak and if you have around a 500 lb or so tongue weight, your front bumper will be sky high (exaggeration).

But as far as ride quality and height, id follow Lfhowards advice. A 2 -2.5" lift is noticeable, you would sit that much higher. That little of a lift doesn't effect the drivetrain any more then riding over PA pot holes...

As far as maintenance goes, have the spark plugs ever been replaced? If not, think about changing them. You could get OEM for around 34 dollars (American) or online for copper core ngk. Not really necessary to change for towing, but if your current ones are over their expected time, you'll have a loss of power and fuell efficiency compared to new spark plugs.

Good idea Gage. Maybe inspect the air filter as well. That and spark plugs are the most neglected necessary items on an engine.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is great info folks, thanks so much. Helps a LOT!

I've never changed the plugs, so I will add that to the list, as well as cleaning the throttle body. And I have a drop-in K&N so I can just clean that with the cleaning kit.

Sounds like the OME kit is the way to go. Not planning on running bigger tires, at least not for a while. Just want better handling. Going over a bump is like riding a bouncing bucking bronco at the moment.

When everything is done I'll post a write up here so it's archived for anyone else doing the same maintenance.

Thank you all!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:10 am 
LOST Member

I just purchased a new transmission pan, filter, and when I asked for enough atf 4 to do the change in my driveway I was given 6 quarts

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

CollinKK wrote:
I just purchased a new transmission pan, filter, and when I asked for enough atf 4 to do the change in my driveway I was given 6 quarts

Transmission has 4qts. Transfer Case was about 2.4qts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

NAMoulton1 wrote:
CollinKK wrote:

Transmission has 4qts. Transfer Case was about 2.4qts.

When I dropped my trans pan almost 6 qts came out...it varies per vehicle.

Also the transfer case 'fill' is 4.2 qts. The factory only puts in 2.4qtz because that's what they can get away with for the bare minimum, but if you fill as per the instructions on the t-case 'till the fluid leaks out of the top fill hole it's almost 4.5qtz.