It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voltage Issue? Seems linked to RPMs...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone! Having some issues with my 2010 Liberty (4wd). Purchased it last year pre-owned in what seemed like excellent condition. Currently has 93k. About 2 months ago I noticed that the headlights and internal display lights would dim slightly while idiling. Also noticed that my RPMs would drop slightly in unison with the dimming. It was hardly noticable at the time...noticed it sitting in a drive through at night. Fast forward two months and it's doing it so badly my headlights look like strobe lights they flicker so badly. Also, it will now turn off what seems to be "non-essential" things like the radio if there is a draw on the system. Ex: when I first start driving and the auto door locks lock...it will shut off the radio momentarily when they lock.

Battery is only a year old. Jeep starts up fine. Idles fine when you first start it at about about 1000rpms and then slowly drops to about 500rpms and then flickering begins. Once I begin driving and RPMs go over about 1300 the flickering stops. If I let off the gas and the RPMs drop the issue begins again. Once I come to a stop and sit at idle for any length of time it will continually cut off the radio, ABS system, traction control indicator light will come on. I can also watch the rpm needle bounce slightly in unison with the lights. This happens in the daytime when the lights aren't on also...I can watch the digital odometer flicker.

I am getting no check engine codes so I really don't know where to start. We did replace the alternator...seemed like a good thing to try since the issue progressively got worse...but that didn't fix it. Any suggestions or input if anyone has experienced similar issues would be much appreciated. My husband is capable of fixing and replacing anything needed but we don't really want to spend a ton of money fixing the wrong things.

Post subject: Re: Voltage Issue? Seems linked to RPMs...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:48 pm 
LOST Addict

seems like a spark plug issue. if its been in your hands for a year and you haven't replaced the spark plugs, its safe to assume they've never been replaced. make sure the new spark plugs are copper core. doesn't matter the brand, just that they are copper core based. a good habit to get into with the liberty is every time spark plugs are replaced, replace the engine and cabin air filter.

hope the last alternator was kept because they shouldn't fail that quick.

also, make sure to look at your owners manual for maintenance needed at your mileage.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle