It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheel Bearing Assembly?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:25 am 
LOST Newbie

The last road trip had a lot more road noise than usual coming off the drivers side tire. It sounded like I was running Super Swampers almost. There was also much more vibration than I remember having in the car. So much so that I was chasing down rattles across the dash trying to figure out why it got so noisy in the KK. Also hearing a noise when the car turns (might be more prominent on left turns but not sure yet), sounds almost like a rubbing noise, but nothing is rubbing at full lock.

What do you think, wheel bearing assembly?

[trying get a video posted]

I lifted the vehicle to see if I have any movement in the tire. The tire seems to have some wiggle side to side but is quite firm when grabbing top and bottom.

I think I may try a simple tire rotation and balance first...

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Wheel Bearing Assembly?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:27 pm 
LOST Member

I'm a CRD newbie, but a fairly experienced general mechanic.
Diagnosing your symptoms seems allowably universal.
Did the vibration come-on suddenly or gradually?
Is it present while accelerating, cruising and/or braking?
If it's a braking-only vibration then its almost certainly brake-component related (duh): pads/rotor/caliper/bracket/hardware.

In any event, in diagnostic order of likely cause of intense vibration (imo):
A. Wheel balance
B. Wheel bearing;
C. CV-shaft
D. Brake components
E. Front diff.
F. Front axle.

Brake-rotor/bracket trauma could also cause cruise-vibration, but it would still be more pronounced while braking.
If it appeared suddenly then the primary suspects are balance, bearing or component trauma (or maybe CV half-shaft or front axle).
If it has worsened more gradually, your diff may be done. It's pumpkin is directly ahead of the (US) driver, so the low-rumble of a dying diff could conceivably sound like a front-left wheel issue. However, dying diffs usually generate more noise than vibration.

Start cheapest; balance all four wheels. While they have the wheels off, have THEM give you a diagnostic opinion of ALL your wheel bearings, brake components, CV and diff. Don't pay for an alignment unless the shop says its a big part of your vibration problem (unlikely) because if any control-arm bushings (etc) need to be replaced you'll have to perform a post-op alignment anyway.

Or, try to DIY the diagnosis. Remove the Left Front brake pads, caliper and rotor (to eliminate potential rotational noise/resistance) and then feel and listen to your wheel bearing while hand-rotating; if it's toast it should present a fairly obvious grinding sound and/or play localized at the hub. I'm not sure if Libby's have replaceable bearings or if it's necessary to purchase an entire replacement hub. I just got a quote of $120 (azone) for a complete remanned hub (including new lower ball-joint, stab-bar bushing and wheel-bearing).
Regarding CV's, if you grab the half-shaft and there's side-to-side play (= front-to-rear) it is toast, whereas a fair amount of in-out play (=left-to-right) is normal. If it's okay it should rotate smoothly and quietly.
If the bearing & CV both rotate smoothly and quietly, perform a visual inspection of the brake components. Any components or hardware obviously damaged or missing? Inspect the rotor for burns, pitting, cracks etc. If in doubt, most parts stores will inspect them for you, mic them for thickness and if necessary (and there's sufficient 'meat' on them) they'll machine "turn" them for $5-15/per. Advisable to turn as pairs, fronts or rears.

Anyway, those are some basic diagnostic steps for t-shooting a vibration issue. I'm sure others can and will add.
Good Luck

PS- I think when the motor-mounts on these go south they may yield vibration but I'm not certain.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sounds like your tie rod ends are probably the culprit.

I actually was here looking to see if I could replace JUST the wheel bearings on this truck (my wife's), instead of the whole hub assembly... Anyone know if that's possible with just using a bearing press? Or is it sealed in there (have to replace the hub)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks like it is the whole hub assembly because it contains a wheel speed sensor needed for ABS and traction control. On older vehicles I bet you could just do the bearings and be done.

This site contains videos for how to replace the parts yourself, which can be helpful even if you find a better deal on a part somewhere else.

https://m.1aauto.com/search?q=Wheel+bearing&year=2008&model=876

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:33 pm 
LOST Member

Bad tie-rod ends certainly one possible cause of extreme vibration at the steering wheel, but in my experience that more frequently manifests as "play" when trying to maintain straight and/or "clunking" while turning, and/or squirrely-steering over bumps.

Vehicle on-ground, if you feel play/looseness or hear clunking:
- trying to "turn" wheel by hand = bad tie-rod end;
- pulling in/out on top of tire = bad upper and/or lower ball-joint(s) or bad upper and/or lower control-arm bushing(s).

Please report back after your vibration is diagnosed.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Still working on it.

I did post a video:
https://youtu.be/QQR6WUQ8s7U

I haven't had much time to work on it but I did start tearing apart the front suspension.

So far I started with driver's side thinking it was the culprit as thats where the noise is loudest.
-Wheel bearings are stiff bit smooth and no noise. I've watched video of people who seem to spin there's almost freely. Mine are not...
-CV shaft has no play except left to right and it is very minimal.
-I did see some oil buildup around the differential end of the driver-side shaft. I suppose that seal is leaking?
-CV shaft when spins is quiet except for the creak of the rubber on rubber from the boot.
-Upper ball joint spins trying to remove the nut...

Aside from the potentially leaking seal, I don't see anything that could cause the noise/feel I'm getting on this side of the car. I'll start pulling apart passenger side next to see if anything feels/sounds off...

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:22 am 
LOST Member

"Stiff" wheel bearings? Sounds like their toast.
What were the conditions? Did you remove:
- the front wheels?
- the brake pads?

Ideally, you could also separate the front-left half-shaft from the hub.
That would definitively diagnose whether the culprit is the wheel bearing or shaft/diff.
A good wheel bearing should rotate quite easily, smoothly and "freely" by hand. If you still feel resistance with the brakes and half-shaft removed, shazam: bearing.
Remember to visually check for physical damage to ANY components.

I just replaced that same left-front diff output seal; if you have trouble sourcing the OEM flanged seal, here is a perfectly good substitute:
Dichtomatik #2309. No flange, but excellent fit