It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrical Issue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have run in to an electrical issue over the past month or so and today it came to a head. On my 1/4 mile drive home my dash and radio went out for a second or 2 and came back on with the tow/haul dash light on (I do not have the tow package) it then did it again about 500 feet later this time turning the tow/haul light off. When I parked, everything seemed fine until I tried to lock it and then nothing worked; interior lights, locks and I could not start it either not even a clicking sound. After checking the battery Voltage (which was fine) I went to disconnect the negative terminal, I touched it with the socket and the Jeep honked like it does when the battery is reconnected and then everything worked again (lights, locks, and it started) it was a rough idle for a minute or 2, I reved the engine a couple of times and then it seemed fine. On a possibly related note the Fan was not running after I got it started again, not sure if it was on before or not, it is about 40 degrees here today.
Has anyone come across this before or know what might be the cause? Let me know if any other info is needed.

Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not had that happen but I just had a odd situation with mine Feb 15. Was just getting off the freeway (the 10% I drive is on a freeway, rest is mostly urban/city). Stopped at the 1st red light I came to and was behind a Charger. When we took off, I could smell something funny. Thought to myself, "what the hell is he running in that thing, JP8?" But at the next light, I could smell what I thought was "electrical" with a little brake mixed in. The more I drove, the more I could smell. I was starting to debate pulling over and tossing out anything of value before it went up in flames. I stopped in a parking lot, shut it down for a bit. It was like 13deg out side but figured it might help. I lifted the hood, felt fuses, nothing hot. Walked around it. Front wheels felt warm but not hot to the touch (I fried some rotors in 2014 because the front calipers froze) Had it not been for the rotors being titanium. I think they would have melted. It did melt my brake lines.

I didn't drive it all weekend. But after making sure it wasn't going to burst into flames, I pulled it into the garage. Now I smell brakes but it's really strong when I lifted the rear hatch. Took it to my mechanic. Coded for brake switch/plunger. They said it looked FRIED. I've not seen it yet (picking up jeep this afternoon) but they said it looked like it was starting to melt. It also had a code for rear brake lights. So, they put in a new switch and rear tail lights. My front driver side caliper was frozen but not all the way and the passenger side had issues too. So, I got two new front everything. They replaced for rear ceramic pads for free (warranty) just to have new pads all the way around. The rear rotors were all but still new so they didn't need to replace them.

So, here I am, brake switch somehow fried/over heated to the point where I could smell it, two rear blown lights (only the brake lights, the running lights were fine in the dual element bulbs). I had LED backup lights and brake lites (oops, didn't mention that in the beginning) in it since the late summer and never had an issue till now, if they CAUSED this. FWIK, the only electrical mod's you need to make for LED's are for turn signals and headlights. Interior and backup lights are fine. I've yet to find anything that says this could cause an issue but wonder if the LED's getting older had anything to do with it. I'm getting the Jeep back today and will cautiously drive it for a few days to see if the SMELL returns. If it burst in flames (Sorry TomMudd, I knew you had your heart set on my beast :wink: ) I'll just sell it back to the insurance company and keep driving my 02 KJ. :grim:

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain

Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok then. Guess no one else has installed LED lights on their right yet. In the end, brake light switch was fried. Backup LED light was shot (odd) both brake light LED's were DEAD. I'm back to stock lights. Have to wonder, that's the first time I drove the car that long with the new LED lights and I do understand at least they can cause things to get warm but melting level?

I have the items I needed to install on my turnsig's to stop hyper flashing but till I seen a corvette video, looks like they are needed for brake/running lights too? Anyone have any experiences with this kind of issue on a KK or KJ?

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain