It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PLEASE HELP - Coolant change gone bad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am changing the coolant for the first time in my 2012 Jeep KK. I have the manual, which states you need to drain the system using the drain on the bottom driverside of the radiator, and also a a hex drain plug on each side of the engine (which from some reading/research I thought I don't need to remove).
I have drained the system from the radiator only and refilled with distilled water - ran the engine with the heat on until it got up to operating temp, drained and repeated 3 times now - water is getting clearer but still coming out pinkish.
Is there a better way to flush this? the reason for using distilled to flush was I was concerned with residual water remaining in the system and the end product containing tap water instead of distilled.

THE MAIN ISSUE - when i refilled the radiator, it only takes about 3/4 of a gallon of water. Assuming I can flush the fluid clear, even if I put 3/4 a gallon of full concentrate anti-freeze, i will not have the correct ration (3.5 gallon capacity, so should have about 1.75 gallons of antifreeze in there).

I am at a standstill as I do not want to go forward until I know I am doing what is correct (I thought i researched this but I guess nto enough).

Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP - Coolant change gone bad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:05 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Are you also removing the lower radiator hose ?

Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP - Coolant change gone bad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Fixed - apparently the Haynes manual is wrong once again (this manual has not been updated to reflect a ton of changes from KJ to KK - terrible manual.

Turns out there is a\air bleeder hex bolt between the radiator in the hose too the engine (to the right of the alternator) which when removed, allowed air to escape as you fill the radiator. One removed, fill radiator until it leaks from this bolt to purge air from the system, then replace bolt and continue filling. If you dont do this you get an air block between the engine and the radiator and no water circulating, as a result I saw my temps start to rise to high and had to cut engine in time.
With the engine starting, I then opened this valve half way, and watched as some air bubbles escaped, once it was antifreeze coming out I closed it back up and will check again tomorrow.