It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad CV axel grinding noise??
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone! First let me say thanks to this site I have learned a lot about the KK. Great info and help from you all! Now for my problem..

I was getting a bad wobble from the front end and knew I needed some tires cause they were in bad shape. So I went and got nee tires..
I currently have a 2012 Kk Limited (87k miles) with a RC 2.5 lift (yea i know..), 245/70/17 Hankook ATM just put on last week, went to get it aligned they said my ball joints were bad. I replaced the all the ball joints, upper control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar link and lower ball joints. Went back and it alignment was no problem.

But now I have a terrible grinding noise up up front. And the wobble is still there but not as bad. Turning at any speed really and its grinding. Wobble is there when turning at around 40-55mph. First I thought it was something rubbing but thats not the case, now from what I read its a bad CV axel. Whats your suggestions on the replacement? Go with a heavier duty axel? And any good sources to buy?

Post subject: Re: Bad CV axel grinding noise??
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:36 am 
LOST Addict

If you can get them, NAPA remanufactured units work well. People with lifts have had issues with remanned CVs from other auto parts places because they are a hair too short. Your other option (what I did) is to get a low mileage CV from a wrecked KK at a junkyard. I’ve run 100K mikes on it now and no issues. Keep in mind also that you may also need an intermediate shaft for the passengers side if that’s where the problem is.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:21 am 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
If you can get them, NAPA remanufactured units work well. People with lifts have had issues with remanned CVs from other auto parts places because they are a hair too short. Your other option (what I did) is to get a low mileage CV from a wrecked KK at a junkyard. I’ve run 100K mikes on it now and no issues. Keep in mind also that you may also need an intermediate shaft for the passengers side if that’s where the problem is.

Thanks. Sounds like NAPA is the way to go. Difference in remanufactured from a New Napa part? And thanks I think I will try and do the intermediate shaft as well. The CV axel dont seem to be too expensive. And most people seem not to have a problem with lift and the CVs. Just want to make sure I get something that won’t be another problem down the road!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:32 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

S3Q wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

Thanks. Sounds like NAPA is the way to go. Difference in remanufactured from a New Napa part? And thanks I think I will try and do the intermediate shaft as well. The CV axel dont seem to be too expensive. And most people seem not to have a problem with lift and the CVs. Just want to make sure I get something that won’t be another problem down the road!

Been using NAPA remanned on several Libertys for years now, all are good and correct length
Also if right side ALWAYS , ALWAYS replace the Intermediate Shaft as well , do not just try to replace unless you want to redo it again soon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:12 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
S3Q wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

Been using NAPA remanned on several Libertys for years now, all are good and correct length
Also if right side ALWAYS , ALWAYS replace the Intermediate Shaft as well , do not just try to replace unless you want to redo it again soon

Ok thats what Iv read. Is that the case even if there is no damage to the shaft? Its back at the shop where i got the alignment, since it was just there and I didnt have this noise until after they are looking into it. Is Mopar the only maker to go with on the intermediate shaft? I have only found it for around 350-375. I will give updates as well on the findings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:41 pm 

S3Q wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Ok thats what Iv read. Is that the case even if there is no damage to the shaft? Its back at the shop where i got the alignment, since it was just there and I didnt have this noise until after they are looking into it. Is Mopar the only maker to go with on the intermediate shaft? I have only found it for around 350-375. I will give updates as well on the findings.

Can find them ( intermediate shaft ) several places, just look on line and yes replace them even though they look OK to the naked eye, they wear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Can find them ( intermediate shaft ) several places, just look on line and yes replace them even though they look OK to the naked eye, they wear

Awesome thanks for the help!! I seen other brands just making sure they work for a proper replacement! Hate Rereplacing newer installed parts! :banghead: Plan on doing both CVs along with the intermediate shaft. :BANANA:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I dont think Napa is still processing the axels unfortunately. If you can find one, it will be from a third party source according to the guy at Napa. (Which Iv had a hard time finding) I did find an alternative OE spec replacement made by FEQ. Not sure of their reputation tho.. I talked to a tech at CarID to confirm and they also said its to OE spec. Original price for the FEQ cv axel is the same as the Mopar original but now priced at fraction of the cost.. i’v found it on CarID and Partsgeek (priced at a $15 difference). I may try these as they are the only ones to say they are to OEM spec and was their recommended replacement. Comes with a FEQ 24 month or 12k mile warranty.