It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome to LOST Safari 2009!
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey all... ready for a change of scenery? I will continue to be posting information on the new location for LOST 2009. We're going to be taking a detour from Moab and heading a couple hundred miles east to Ouray, Colorado.

Here is the area we are talking about:

Ouray "Switzerland of North America"

14 Restaurants

Natural Hot Springs Pool

The family activities in Ouray are primarily outdoor activities. There are a lot of hiking trails and fishing that start directly in town.

Based out of the Ouray area there is a huge system of trails that go all through the San Juan Mountains. This shows just some of the basics:

The trails around this area really focus around a couple towns aside from Ouray and we will be visiting them all:

Silverton

Silverton is significantly smaller than Ouray (only has one paved road). It is the stopping point for the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway. The train ride is an all day event and worth every second. It would be easy for LOST members interested in taking the ride on the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway to do so.

There honestly isn't much to do in Silverton aside from some tourist shops and a really good coffee shop. This is, however, a main hub for the trails in the area.

Telluride

Telluride is the destination of both Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass and is a very typical ski town. There are plenty of upscale restaurants, movies, and high end stores. After completeing Black Bear Pass we will, most likely, have to have a great lunch in Telluride before heading back.

Lake City

Lake City is the half way point on the Alpine Loop. It has primarily become a resort town with surprisingly good food.

So that's the area... you can also head down to Durango but that's more of a side trip. I will post info on Durango later for reference as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:55 am 
I live here
I live here

Is this the official annual LOST Jeep Safari and when and by who decided this?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:20 am 
LOST Addict

Seems a bit "upity". More sight seeing and vacationy rather than adventury. From my perspective, I could ship my KJ out there ($1K each way) and then fly ($700 round trip). Or I could fly out and rent a mini van and see all this stuff.
Perhaps I am missing something. I am assuming that it will be expensive to stay there as well. I will go if this is the place, but I must admit, I was dissapointed that it's been moved out of MOAB.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It has been discussed over the last couple years to try a new destination for the LOST JEEP SAFARI. A group of regular attendees and Moab organizers plus some Colorado folks were put together to decide between North and South locations and the Southern area was chosen for the 09 event. So YES, This Is the Official LOST JEEP SAFARI for 09.

Moab isn't going anywhere so you can always run out there and wheel during EJS or any of a number of other events.

The 2010 event might be in different location as there are many opinions that people want to see new places on their yearly vacations. This years turn out in Moab was the worst yet and I and others felt that we need a change of scenery for 09 so we got one.

Nobody has to go to the Co. event but if you want to expereince a new location then come on out and have a great time. It isn't all about the trails and location as much as it is about getting together and sharing the "Jeep Thing" with other Jeep people. I hope to see a huge turnout in 09 and based on the majority of opinions I have heard on the topic, the Colorado event will be great! I can't wait! :D

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

JL Rockies wrote:
Seems a bit "upity". More sight seeing and vacationy rather than adventury. From my perspective, I could ship my KJ out there ($1K each way) and then fly ($700 round trip). Or I could fly out and rent a mini van and see all this stuff.
Perhaps I am missing something. I am assuming that it will be expensive to stay there as well. I will go if this is the place, but I must admit, I was dissapointed that it's been moved out of MOAB.

For the price you are talking about shipping the Jeep you can rent a Jeep in Ouray for much less and save the money for a shovel or something :lol:

And no... not expensive to stay there... not "uppity" by any means (ok except for Telluride) and I assure we will be putting in plenty of off-road miles. Adventure factor is included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Hey Guys,

All For Fun and Truckfest in Denver are both right around then every year. I may be able to swing in with a Company JK for this one. Someone drop me a line if the dates change... be one hell of a road trip, though. That's why I work here, though....

Used to have: 02 Rene w/ SFA Swap. Sold... I'll miss her
New Baby is an 07 1500 Dodge HEMI
6" Lift and lots O Go Fast parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:14 pm 
LOST Addict

We've been to Ouray/Silverton three times, in fact that's where we were on 9/11.

Yes, the area is expensive and the trails are not all that technical, but it's a fun place doing trails and seeing ghost towns and old mines. I have reservations at the Comfort Inn at Ouray for $116.00 a night this coming July. It's a basic motel room, nothing special, but clean and comfortable. coming (they seem to go up every year). The food is also expensive. Telluride offers more, but the prices are even more expensive.

I do have to agree with a couple of other posts tho... the price for food and lodging may prevent some folks from making this event....

Here a pic from our 2007 trip we made in our modified Rocky Mountain Edition KJ... it's perfect for the tight switchbacks on Black Bear Pass. :wink:

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:29 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Well,
If the cost is too high (I am broke too) do we need to reopen the discussion of North vs South?
Regardless, anywhere in CO will provide Trails, My goal is simply to have a successful event with max participation (thus during kids' summer vacations).

Last edited by USAFCOP on Thu May 29, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

I like the idea of having lost safari in Ouray CO. It looks like its a pretty area and i bet the trails there are like the ones almost all over colorado, easy and scenic, with just enough obstacles to keep things interesting. Please keep in mind that some stock vehicles may also want to attend this event, myself included, so you dont want to get into trails that someone has to do ride alongs the whole trip because theirs cant do anything. Also about pricing, this event is OVER 13 months away, start saving little by little now. Plus if it were to move to another location and its cheaper, how do we know that in 13 months gas wont be 8-9 bucks a gallon? Now people cant go to teh cheaper location anyway because gas is too high. how do we know that in 13 months lodging wont be $50 a night for a big group like one we could have? Then we could have had it somewhere different, but instead im in moab. My point is if its not one thing its another where people say they "cant" go but its way too early in the planning to be able to tell based on gas and lodging prices, so lets not let prices that fluctuate daily drive this when its 13 months away.

when people say and believe something is going to fail... it usually does.
the same can be said about when people say something will thrive...

Communications System Provided by: Cobra CB
Navigation provided by: Garmin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can't wait myself, this is gonna be so cool!
Count me in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:51 pm 
I live here
I live here

Darryl,

There are a ton of trails around Silverton/Frisco/Georgetown/Idaho Springs that are stocker friendly.

The big LOST events, such as those held in Moab always included both stocker and beefed-up KJ trail rides.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

21 Road is only a couple hours away for anyone wanting a challenge, also. :twisted:

"There are few problems in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm saving now, starting w/ some $$ from the "stimulus" check deal and whatever I can scrape together in the next year. Baring any unforseen problems, it shouldn't be a problem at all having all the $$ I need and then some by July 09. I'll budget if I have too to make it happen.

The issue of Where in 09 is Nailed down. Nobody has to go to Ouray but if you don't you will be missing a great event. :wink:

Heck, Who knows where it will be in 2010, could be Nor-Co, AZ, Nor-Cal, back to Moab....... show up to Ouray 09 and help discuss the possibilities. :D

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:20 am 
LOST Addict

Just an FYI for everyone.... don't get stressed out just yet about the prices of food and lodging. Once the snow melts up there I will be up there ASAP to get prices everywhere for all aspects. (is $60/night too bad for a KOA Cabin?)

More info will flow your way soon as the season is fast approaching for me to start bringing in the Ouray Recon.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:37 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Perhaps we can also work out a group discount for those roughing it in a hotel/motel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:06 pm 

Do not get me wrong, Ouray has always been on my list for places to go, I am just making sure that the gun was not jumped, and frankly if this is what the club wants that is what it will get. The issue I had was before this was opened for general discussion, LOST Rockies had been trying to plan and coordinate this for the past 2 years (thus why we had more info and sponsors ready to go for the Northern area of CO). This has been in the planning for a while and a lot of work has gone into mapping trails that will now not be run. This will simply work better in our favor for later when as Moab has, people wish to see something new. I am not in the States, and have been out of the loop a lot on this otherwise I would have been more vocal about this then.

Cost is not the primary issue, it will be expensive no matter where we go, Welcome to Colorado :evil:

If you want to hate me for voicing my opinion fine, I do not care.

My point is, time was spent, and disregarded, to ensure an event that was easily accessible, well planned, and timed for max participation. So consider this a vote for 2010 to be North/central Frontrange Colorado.

As for Ourray, we need to get some contacts down there and fast! DurangoTang, are you the closest? If so, please open a thread in the Rockies forum for planning, and get us some contacts for all of the lodging, caterers, maybe find some local businesses, or a local shop who may support us. Also, we need to discuss a raffle and other things, as far as where the money is to go (blue Ribbon Coalition or local charity to keep Ourray open for wheeling). 13 months is a ways away for those who plan to attend, those of us who will be primary planners need to get busy now. As I stated, I am not there, I am relying on Troy (VP Rockies) and Marty (event coord) to get more done. Please get this going. We need to have a well planned out event, this will benefit us all. LOST West, any help/advice will be awesome, as you have been primary for MOAB and it has been great each time I have gone, and the point of this trip not being Moab is not to get away from there, it is for the rest of our clubs to help share the burden of admin/planning/support of all of LOST.
We also need to check NAXJA, FSJworld, and Sammi forums to find out when their events in Ourray are. I cannot access them here, and soon I am sure this forum will be blocked by Comm :x
Again, sorry if I am being a tyrant, or you think I am complaining, but I have limited time right now, and we need to ensure we put a quality event out for all to enjoy, not merely a gathering with no direction. This our challenge for the next 13 months. I am out of the picture until September/October, so I hate to do it, but it is on all of you.

Last edited by USAFCOP on Thu May 29, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Edvalencia wrote:
Perhaps we can also work out a group discount for those roughing it in a hotel/motel.

Absolutely... in th near future I will get rates everywhere I can and find out what they would be willing to do for a group and what the minimum numbers would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:01 pm 
LOST Addict

USAFCOP wrote:
Do not get me wrong, Ouray has always been on my list for places to go, I am just making sure that the gun was not jumped, and frankly if this is what the club wants that is what it will get. The issue I had was before this was opened for general discussion, LOST Rockies had been trying to plan and coordinate this for the past 2 years (thus why we had more info and sponsors ready to go for the Northern area of CO). This has been in the planning for a while and a lot of work has gone into mapping trails that will now not be run. This will simply work better in our favor for later when as Moab has, people wish to see something new. I am not in the States, and have been out of the loop a lot on this otherwise I would have been more vocal about this then.

Cost is not the primary issue, it will be expensive no matter where we go, Welcome to Colorado :evil:

If you want to hate me for voicing my opinion fine, I do not care.

My point is, time was spent, and disregarded, to ensure an event that was easily accessible, well planned, and timed for max participation. So consider this a vote for 2010 to be North/central Frontrange Colorado.

As for Ourray, we need to get some contacts down there and fast! DurangoTang, are you the closest? If so, please open a thread in the Rockies forum for planning, and get us some contacts for all of the lodging, caterers, maybe find some local businesses, or a local shop who may support us. Also, we need to discuss a raffle and other things, as far as where the money is to go (blue Ribbon Coalition or local charity to keep Ourray open for wheeling). 13 months is a ways away for those who plan to attend, those of us who will be primary planners need to get busy now. As I stated, I am not there, I am relying on Troy (VP Rockies) and Marty (event coord) to get more done. Please get this going. We need to have a well planned out event, this will benefit us all. LOST West, any help/advice will be awesome, as you have been primary for MOAB and it has been great each time I have gone, and the point of this trip not being Moab is not to get away from there, it is for the rest of our clubs to help share the burden of admin/planning/support of all of LOST.
We also need to check NAXJA, FSJworld, and Sammi forums to find out when their events in Ourray are. I cannot access them here, and soon I am sure this forum will be blocked by Comm :x
Again, sorry if I am being a tyrant, or you think I am complaining, but I have limited time right now, and we need to ensure we put a quality event out for all to enjoy, not merely a gathering with no direction. This our challenge for the next 13 months. I am out of the picture until September/October, so I hate to do it, but it is on all of you.

Most of this has been or is being addressed... feel free to PM me if you need to be brought up to speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm gonna try to make this!! Sounds like a blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

"If you want to hate me for voicing my opinion fine, I do not care." USAFCOP

No, I don't hate you for voicing your opinion; I just hate you on general principles. :lol: It'll be great to have you back, Ted, and able to come to Ouray.

I can see where it's really disconcerting to have worked a lot on this and then have it kind of scooped out from under. But the good part is, it has been put together and it's going to happen! I'm really looking forward to it; been there before, but didn't get to do all the trails I wanted.

Everyone seems to be talking about the expense of lodging. Isn't anyone going to camp? I sure am, even if it's dry camping. There's an RV park in Durango; don't know if there's any in Ouray, but a camping spot should be a whole lot cheaper than a motel room.

The LOST gang's going to Ouray
And for most that's really OK
Although some won't be able
To have meat on the table
When we get there we'll holler HURRAY!

Henry Wadsworth Shortfellow, Poet Degenerate

Now THERE'S something that can REALLY instill hatred!

Last edited by tskalil on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.