It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is your pre-run connection:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=33218

AJ is one of our AZ members and leads a nice trail. Some folks need to jump on this. I'm going to see if I can squeeze it in myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:00 am 
LOST Addict

Beth and I are leaving Phoenix Sep 13 and retuning Sep 19 for our fourth trip to the area. Our High Altitude Expedition - 2008 headquarters will be the Comfort Inn in Ouray (nice place, clean, but a tad expensive and the only chain motel in the area). Being old farts, our camping days are behind us, the temps in mid-Sep range from the low 30's to the low to mid 70's... too cold for us to be sleeping under the stars.

durangotang wrote:
So if you are willing to swing by this summer then sound off here...

If you have already been on the trails in the area then you can help us all out with a little info:

1. Can you make it to LJS 2009?
2. What trails have you run?
3. What would you be comfortable leading?
4. Recommendations or comments?

1. Yes, we'll be there!!!

2. Using Wells' book, Area 1 as a guide, we've done:

- #2 Yankee Boy Basin (M)
- #3 Imogene Pass (M)
- #4 Black Bear Pass (D)
- #5 Ophir Pass (M)
- #6 Clear Lake (M)
- #7 Engineer Pass (M)
- #8 Cinnamon Pass (M)
- #10 Picayne & Placer Gulch (M)
- #11 Corkscrew Gulch (M)
- #12 California Gulch (M)
- #15 Stony Pass (M)
- #16 Maggie Gulch (M)
- #17 Minnie Gulch (M)

And a few others that aren't in the book such as:

- Last Dollar Road (E)
- Brooklyn Road (E)

3. Any of them

4. Comments:

- All of the above trails can be done in a stock height KJ with good tires and full skids.

- IMO, Wells has overated all of the trails in this section of his book. Even the infamous Black Bear Pass is not all that difficult, but it earns a (D) rating due to a high pucker factor because of the tight switchbacks way above Telluride that requires some three and four point turns. Other than the 'Steps', which is off camber to the outside looking 1,000 ft down a cliff, you just have to pay a little more attention than normal to what your doing. Warning... if you or anyone with you is afraid of heights, I'd suggest they pass on Black Bear.

- Don't get me wrong. While none of the trails are technically challanging, they are bumpy with plenty of rocks and trails covered with tailings. Bangs and scraps on the bottom side can and do occur. Also, because of the trail sururfaces, there is always the possibility of a blowout.

- Altitude sickness in some degree can and does occur. Breathing can become labored at the higher elevations. Ouray is at the 7,000 ft level. Some people may experience dull headaches at that altitude. All of the other trails and passes are above the 9,000 level with most being at 11,000 - 12,000 feet. Imogine Pass, the second highest pass in Colorado, is at 13,114 ft... can you say, 'got oxygen'?

So, pack a lunch, bring warm clothes you can peel off in layers and plan on being out on the trails all day. Oh, AND bring your camera... we stop for photo ops every chance we get.

A couple of pics from our High Altitude Expedition - 2007....

Got oxygen??? Trees don't even grow this high up!!!

Still climbing at 12,000 feet...

AJ

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject: Re: Operation Pre-Safari...Summer of 2008
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

durangotang wrote:
As you guys have figured out by now LOST as a group is going to be new to the Ouray area. We are going to be needing some experienced leaders for the local trails.
Throughout the summer of 2008 I will be doing a lot of exploring through the lesser-known trails and trying to find some of the more technical gems that I know are hiding up here. I will be up there FAR too much (as usual) but it would be great to see some LOST faces.

So if you are willing to swing by this summer then sound off here...

If you have already been on the trails in the area then you can help us all out with a little info:
1. Can you make it to LJS 2009?
2. What trails have you run?
3. What would you be comfortable leading?
4. Recommendations or comments?

durangotang... PM's sent a couple of weeks ago... no reply. I answered your questions in my previous post above.

So what's up...are you still doing pre-runs throught the wheeling season up there this year and do you want to meet up in Sep when we'll be there for a week???

BTW... I've put a list together I use of the trails that can be done together in one day if you're interested in it, i.e. Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass and Yankee Boy Basin make for a full day of wheeling (but does not leave any time to walk around Telluride) just to mention one on my list.

Last edited by AZKJ on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:38 pm 
LOST Addict

I just checked and my PM replies to you are still sitting in my 'outbox' so I'll just reply here.

I am certainly going to be running all over the area pretty informally once the mud dies down a little. I would love to meet you guys in September and look forward to running some trails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Durangotang: Sounds like the snow is melting,can't wait to get up there. Do you still want to get together maybe on the 29th and 30th? Only three weeks till vacation :D :D Im staying at the camp ground just west of sivertown cant think of the name of it ,its by clear lake.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:12 pm 
LOST Addict

kskj wrote:
Durangotang: Sounds like the snow is melting,can't wait to get up there. Do you still want to get together maybe on the 29th and 30th? Only three weeks till vacation :D :D Im staying at the camp ground just west of sivertown cant think of the name of it ,its by clear lake.

Definitely... I just got up high for the first time recently and the snow is melting QUICK!!! Seeya in a few weeks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ill pm you when it gets close. I got the dates wrong ill be there on the 28th and 29th.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:12 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

I may be able to talk Tricia into letting me go to meet up around the 13th of Sep, but no garauntee. Would I need a reservation for a room or RV site? If so, how late can I wait to get one.

Overall, it depends on if I can take some leave. I have to sign into my new unit pretty much as soon as I get back, and then I have to go to the NCO Academy on the 22nd of Sep, so I will be real busy. Also do not know if the Jeep is even up to a wheeling tripp, she has been sitting for 6 months, and the front end is shot. Will have to evaluate when I get home, but may be able to do September.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:54 am 
LOST Addict

USAFCOP wrote:
I may be able to talk Tricia into letting me go to meet up around the 13th of Sep, but no garauntee. Would I need a reservation for a room or RV site? If so, how late can I wait to get one.

Overall, it depends on if I can take some leave. I have to sign into my new unit pretty much as soon as I get back, and then I have to go to the NCO Academy on the 22nd of Sep, so I will be real busy. Also do not know if the Jeep is even up to a wheeling tripp, she has been sitting for 6 months, and the front end is shot. Will have to evaluate when I get home, but may be able to do September.

Make your reservations now... you can always cancel. Why wait and take the risk of nothing being avaliable? Lodging can fill up quick in Ouray/Silverton.

If you plan on a motel, I'd stay in Ouray. They rates are higher than Silverton, but they are better. Most of the motels in Silverton are dumps. On a personal note... don't even think of staying at the Triangle Motel in Silverton. Been there, done it and never again.

OT:

Hmmm... things must have changed since I retired in '90. You haven't signed into your new squadron and they already have you scheduled for 'Charm School' aka the NCO Academy??? That's strange. In my time, Wings/Squadrons that you were currently assigned to had their alloted slots. Never heard of anyone being scheduled before they signed in to a new squadron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:43 pm 

I do not know if I will get leave, nor do I know if I should even try the trailer. What motel do you recomend in Ouray? Where are you staying? May only get the weekend, so I may try to talk the wife into coming and finding a sitter for the kids.

On a side note, the NCOA is a prerequisite for the special duty I am going to. It was an under the table deal me even getting hired and they overlooked the NCOA requirement because they wanted my deployment and teaching experience badly. The AF has changed, deployments are the AF, they want the Cadets to know that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:38 pm 
LOST Addict

USAFCOP wrote:
I do not know if I will get leave, nor do I know if I should even try the trailer. What motel do you recomend in Ouray? Where are you staying? May only get the weekend, so I may try to talk the wife into coming and finding a sitter for the kids.

On a side note, the NCOA is a prerequisite for the special duty I am going to. It was an under the table deal me even getting hired and they overlooked the NCOA requirement because they wanted my deployment and teaching experience badly. The AF has changed, deployments are the AF, they want the Cadets to know that.

The only motel I've stayed at in Ouray was the Comfort Inn. It is a nice, clean place... nothing special, but a reasonable rate for the area. There are more expensive motels which are mostly Mom and Pop places.... no chain motels other than a Best Western. Wiith my pocket book, the Comfort Inn was the best I could do.

Here is a LIST of places you could call around to for rates. I did that several years ago and again, the Comfort Inn was the best I could find at a price I could afford.

Be sure and ask for the Government/Military rates. The rates vary according to the day of the week. For the period of Sep 13-19, I'm paying $130.49 on Saturday, $116.99 for Sunday and $94.49 during the rest of the week. My six day stay averages out to $104.24 a night... not cheap.

Their phone number is: (970) 325-7203

LOL... I ought to get a discount for as much as I've been recommending them....

OT: Okay, I see what they're doing by sending you to the NCOA. I guess it's no different than sending someone to a school for a new airframe they'll be working on at their next base.

Yeah, things have changed. The numerous deployments have to be tough. At least in my day, you did your one year tour in a combat zone and you were done, unless you volunteered to go back.

Good luck with your new assignment!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:50 am 
LOST Addict

USAFCOP wrote:

Well I will be in a tent at the KOA most likely. That place is nice if you are thinking of bringing a trailer. Otherwise you can check the comfort inn as AZKJ advised of the Best Western does pretty well. You might JUST be squeaking out of the "high season" prices with some of the places... if I get a chance to poke around I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My transfer has been postponed until November, at least, now. So, doesn't look like I'll be able to help much as far as leading

"There are few problems in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:58 pm 
LOST Addict

November??? Now who's shop can I try and sneak my way into? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:55 am 
LOST Addict

Only two months to go and counting down until my High Altitude Expedition - 2008.

Is anyone interested in meeting up anytime during the period of Sep 14 -18 to do some pre-runs and putting together a list of trail combinations, prior to the 2009 LOST event? So far there's been a lot of talk, but I haven't seen anything posted on actual pre-runs for next years event, unless they're being done quitely behind the scene.

Most of the trails are not loop trails. I have a list of trails I've run in the past that make for a full day of wheeling that I like. One example, that has serveral options to consider, would be the toughest trail, Black Bear Pass (Wells #4) with the return trip to Ouray taking Imogene Pass (Wells #3). If time permits, you can also do Yankee Boy Basin (Wells #2) with a side trip to Govenor Basin. Or, you could save Yankee Boy and Govener Basin for another day. Another example would be for those not wanting to do the D rated Black Bear Pass, instead they can do Ophir Pass (Wells #5), spend an hour or two in Telluride and then head back to Ouray:

- via Imogene Pass

- by way of the Last Dollar Road, an easy dirt road but, very scenic going through some Aspen forests

- take the highway back looping the long way around through Placerville and Ridgeway

As you can see from what I've just posted, there are many, many combinations to be considered. Getting a small group together to pre-run some of these trails to see what people think will work would be a very good idea. What has worked for me in the past may not be what others would like to do.

If any of the organizers for next years event, or anyone else is interested in meeting up with Beth, my buddy from Colorado Springs and I, cut and paste the list, add your name and put the dates you'll be there. I'll add more information if anyone signs on. If no one is interested, we'll just see everyone next year and run whatever trails the powers to be decide on.

Definite:

1. AZKJ + 1 (Sep 13-19)
2. COKJ + 1 (Sep 13-16)

Maybe:

Note: If any organizers of the 2009 LOST event thinks this post is out of place, let me know and I'll move it to my High Altitude - 2008 thread. I'm don't mean to step on any toes, just trying to drum up business for some pre-runs I'd like to get involved in....

Last edited by AZKJ on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:05 pm 
LOST Addict

That post is perfect in here and I will certainly be there (though I can't tell just how long yet)...

So we have 2 Pre-runs thus far

July-
1. Durangotang (July 28-30)

SEPTEMBER-

1. AZKJ + 1 (Sep 13-19)
2. COKJ + 1 (Sep 13-16)
3. Durangotang (Whenever)

If anyone else wants to put together something in August let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

durangotang wrote:
That post is perfect in here and I will certainly be there (though I can't tell just how long yet)...

July-
2. kskj

SEPTEMBER-

1. AZKJ + 1 (Sep 13-19)
2. COKJ + 1 (Sep 13-16)

I'll be there for the July prerun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:36 pm 
LOST Addict

durangotang... I was wondering, are there any 4x4 clubs up there that can help you out with trail planning and all that? I would think there would be all kind of help you can tap into up there. Then on the other hand, all I have ever seen on the trails were tourists. I have always been amazed at the lack of facilities for the 4x4 crowd. The Ouray/Silverton area is definately not Moab. I could be wrong, but that's always been my impression....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Well trail planning shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have been talking with the FSJ guys, All 4 Fun, and now some people doing the FJ Summit right now. I also ride with the local group called Creeper Jeepers so they've helped me find some good trails.

I have a few runs coming up to find more technical gems in the area..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:45 pm 

durangotang wrote:

July-
2. KSKJ

SEPTEMBER-

1. AZKJ + 1 (Sep 13-19)
2. COKJ + 1 (Sep 13-16)
4. USAFCOP (Sep 13-19) MAYBE

I am a maybe for Sep. As stated earlier, depends on the condition of my Jeep, and the new assignment and if I will be able to take leave or not. Face it Jeep in mothballs for 6 months isn't great, and no time to check it out propper would make for a bad trip.

[Durangotang: edited list to add KSKJ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next