It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tentative Trail Schedule (Updated 7/7)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Here's a loose schedule that will show the kinds of days we will be looking at.

July 11th- Arrival day for most. People will get situated and work out any road trip kinks :lol:

Notes: People will almost certainly want to head out and do some exploring if they arrive early. I'll put up a list of shorter trails that have easy routefinding.

July 12th- Velocity Basin/Hurricane Pass/California Pass/Animas Forks Ghost Town/Red Mountain Pass

California Pass: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=78

Hurricane Pass: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=260

Notes: This trail would be do-able for stockers without much trouble (any 2WD's should be ok as well). In between Hurricane Pass and California Pass is the top of Poughkeepsie Gulch. People looking for a more challenging trail right off the bat can turn off here and run Poughkeepsie. Driving down Poughkeepsie is the easier way to do it and my KJ has made it (Daystar/Armored/265/75's) though one set of MANDATORY obstacles have some serious pucker factor and are very tippy. (just ask KSKJ) A stock KJ with off road tires, a good driver, and skids could make it down to these obstacles then turn around and come back up. Doing this upper portion would be a fun challenge for a stocker. Also, Hurricane Pass is appropriately named!! Bring a jacket!

July 13th- Alpine Loop : Mineral Creek Option/Engineer Pass/Cinnamon Pass

Mineral Creek(optional harder start):http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=76

Notes: There are 2 ways to start this trail. One starting point takes off directly from US-550 outside of Ouray a at Mineral Creek and the other begins at the Animas Forks Ghost Town. The hardest part of the trail is the stretch on Mineral Creek and I will have to pre-run it next season to determine if a stocker can safely run it (depends on the washout). Stockers, 2WD's, Patriot's, etc can zip over to Animas Forks on a gravel road and meet the group there. This is also an option for anyone just looking for a nice scenic cruise or who wants to get some more time at Animas Forks. From that point on, any of our rigs could easily handle the rest of the Alpine Loop. Expect lots of little side trips and plenty of photos. This will probably be the longest day on the trail and the most scenic.

July 14th- Stony Pass/Beartown Loop

This trail is another great one that SHOULD be passable for stockers. Any bigger challenges have bypasses. Lots of cool surprises on this run and some cool water crossings.

July 15th- (If passable)Mineral Creek/Mineral Point/Poughkeepsie Gulch/California Gulch/Animas Forks/Mineral Creek Loop

Good tires, lift, recovery points, and armor should be considered mandatory for this... though I will update that as needed :D

This is the loop that best incorporates Poughkeepsie Gulch and Mineral Creek together. We would head up Mineral Creek until small side trip is taken to Mineral Point with some tight sections befor eyou intersect with Poughkeepsie Gulch. This route has you climbing Poughkeepsie from the bottom, thus making it harder. The trail then climbs to the top of California Pass and descends back to Animas Forks. A brief climb up a portion of Engineer Pass links us back with Mineral Creek to round it out.

Poughkeepsie Gulch:http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=77

Notes: This is the most technically difficult trail in the area. I have only successfully done this trail coming down from the top. Most of the trail is do-able by most anyone other than some crazy side obstacles and "the steps". Half way up the trail there is a big parking area at the base of the steps where people can watch the big boys try to make it up. (again, I'll pre-run it and see if a stocker can make it to the base of the steps) A lift and armor is mandatory to try to steps and I think lockers will be needed, even if it's dry. There are permanent winching pointes installed above every obstacle so people are sure to get up. For those looking to test their KJ's, this spot is a great place to see just what they can do while keeping to an easy recovery. I'm definitely going to give it a go this year!!

July 16th- Yankee Boy Basin/Governor Basin/whatever else we decide

Governor Basin: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=82

Yankee Boy Basin: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=81

Notes: These two trails probably have the greatest variation in difficulty based on weather. THe nice thing about Yankee Boy Basin is that it gets progressively more difficult as you go further up the trail. If you get uncomfortable at any point in the trail you can turn around and hitch a ride with someone else. Yankee Boy Basin has some of the few mud holes we'll run into and has some interesting water crossings. It's an out-and-back climb that any lifted KJ can handle and stockers should be fine (but bring a strap just in case).

July 17th- Black Bear Pass/Imogene Pass/Group Shot/Raffle/BBQ

Imogene Pass: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=80

Black Bear Pass: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=79

Notes: I put this toward the end because this is the trail everyone NEEDS to experience!! I don't care if you have to hitch a ride with someone or sit on their roof, this should be considered mandatory. Black Bear Pass takes you from the US-550 to Telluride. The ride from the highway to the summit of Black Bear Pass is easy and is do-able by anyone. The trail becomes a 1-way trip from there. Black Bear Pass is one of our few trails that a lifted KJ with skids should be considered mandatory. This is only because of the portion of this trail called "the steps". The switchbacks on the trail are not all that bad in a KJ and are very manageable. My Daystar-equipped KJ can make in down Black Bear without scraping anything. I will note that this trail literally puts you on the edge of a 1000ft drop and you will be pulling within inches of the edge when turning on the switchbacks. The steps get very tippy and you will be leaning over a nice little ravine at points. I have run the trail 6 times now and have never come close to any problems...

People who have serious issues with heights may want to meet us in Telluride (via Ophir Pass). You can drive up a couple of the easier switchbacks to meet us at the waterfall power plant. You will certainly want to see that. From there we will head up Imogene Pass back to the US-550. This trail has it's difficult spots but a stocker could do it (skids mandatory). I ran this trail with a friend who had a stock FJ on AT-Revos and he did fine. You will have some water crossings (most are optional) and most of the big obstacles are optional as well. This will be the second longest day we will do and this one will wear you out! (I have run these trail with both JacksJeep and KSKJ... hopefully they will step in here and add their thoughts.)

July 18th- Free Day... Relax and say our goodbye's

Remember that his is a VEEEEEEEEEERY loose schedule and it will be edited almost daily on the whim of the group each morning 8)

If anyone has any other trails they would like to see let me know. Any of the days that include more difficult trails we will be sure to have an easier option available.

Other trails to consider:
Ophir Pass
Stony Pass
Kendall Mtn Trail
Clear Lake Trail
South Mineral Trail

Last edited by durangotang on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't have any idea what any of those trails are like...but they sound AWESOME!!! :D :D :D

I don't suppose anyone has trail summaries for the Ouray area like Red Rock has for Moab, do they?

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:09 am 
LOST Addict

The pre-runs are the closest things we have to that....

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=33719

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wells has a couple of books on Colorado trails
and I've clicked on this a few times
http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

Google black bear pass and you'll get a lot of hits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So...I'm thinking we may want to bring light jackets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:01 pm 
LOST Addict

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:24 pm 
LOST Addict

we don't wear jackets in Colorado :D

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Diggerfreek wrote:

Parkas?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

JJsKJ wrote:
Diggerfreek wrote:

Parkas?

vests :twisted:

'05 Limited CRD Inferno Red Pearl Coat
Home made provent installed @ 35443, SEGR installed @ 35466, Fumoto valve @ 37500, trans and transfer case skid, In tank pump installed @ 43500, Suncoast TC & Transgo Shift Kit @ 44730, EGT, Boost, Trans temp gauges, Samco hoses, Rebuilt Trans w/ HD454RFE kit @ 56K, Inmotion Stage 2 @ 56K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:10 pm 
LOST Addict

I wear short sleeved or cut off sleeved shirts accompanied by shorts :twisted:

oh and usually only go out for ice cream when it is below zero :twisted:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject: Trail Rating?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Are we going to rate the Trail Difficulty?

The 1-4 system:

1. All weather road; 4WD not needed.
1-1/2. Graded road; 4WD may be needed in poor weather.
2. Unimproved or rarely graded road. 4WD or extra clearance needed at times, with no special driving skills required.
2-1/2. Road rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, low gears often needed, with some extra care and a bit of driving experience useful.
3. Road in difficult terrain, rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, and low gears essential, with some driving skill and daring required.
3-1/2. Road in difficult terrain, probably maintained only by occasional users. Excellent stock truck or utility vehicle required, with considerable driving skill and daring needed.
4. Trail either never bladed or badly eroded. Stock vehicles are in jeopardy. Modifications for improved off-road performance and top driving skills needed.
4+. We can hardly improve on the original description written a few years ago by Jack Bickers: "with driving by World Class Yahoo Jeepers not much concerned with vehicle durability or personal safety." It is common to have as many as 10 percent of the vehicles experience major mechanical failures (gears, axles, driveshafts) on these trails.

The 1-10 system (The Jeep Jamboree version):

1 - 2. Quite mild and may not even require the use of four-wheel drive (4WD).
3 - 4. Moderate trails in which 4WD is required.
5 - 6. You could encounter mud holes, climb over small rocks, and generally experience more difficult four-wheeling conditions.
7 - 9 present the possibility of getting stuck. Mud holes here will be deep and extreme, and the rock climbing will be more arduous.
10 reserved for only one - the Rubicon. Past participants know this rating is justly deserved. You'll do things on this trail that you never thought possible in your Jeep vehicle. The Rubicon is not recommended for Cherokee or Grand Cherokee models.

Yosemite Decimal System: :lol:

Class 1. Hiking (driving) on trail.
Class 2. Cross country travel requiring route finding skills.
Class 3. Scrambling on rocks using hands as well as feet (and tires).
Class 4. Climbing on steep terrain requiring (wire) roped belay (a.k.a. winching).
Class 5. Climbing involving technical moves and protective hardware (Pull-Pal).
5.0 to 5.4. There are two hand- and two foot-holds for every move; the holds become progressively smaller as the number increases (two tires in the air - lockers required).
5.5 to 5.6. The two hand- and two footholds are there, obvious to the experienced, but not necessarily so to the beginner.
5.7. The move is missing one hand- or foothold.
5.8. The move is missing two holds of the four, or missing only one but is very strenuous.
5.9. The move has only one reasonable hold which may be for either a foot or a hand.
5.10. No hand- or footholds. The choices are to pretend a hold is there, pray a lot, or go home.
5.11. After thorough inspection you conclude this move is obviously impossible; however, occasionally someone actually accomplishes it. Since there is nothing for a handhold, grab it with both hands.
5.12. The surface is as smooth as glass and vertical. No one has really ever made this move, although a few claim they have.
5.13. This is identical to 5.12 except it is located under overhanging rock

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:06 am 
LOST Addict

That sounds like work :lol:

How about a compass/stock KJ/lifted KJ/oh crap scale?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:25 am 
LOST Addict

durangotang wrote:

Since all the trails are in the Charles A. Wells book and rated easy, moderate and diffuicult... let's just go with that and keep it simple.

I've run every trail in the area except Poughkeepsie and Governor's Basin. A stock height KJ with skids and good tires can do them all, except for the two i just mentioned.

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

durangotang wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Works for me............... My wife is already tellin' me that we have to stay on the easy trails. :lol: That's why I'm asking. :wink: She doesn't want to "damage" our KJ, which I don't blame her. She's the smart one in the family. :idea: After all, it's a 2007 KJ with less than 14,000 miles on it. Practically brand new! :shock: I do think it would be beneficial to "rate" each trail so those of us who are wanting a more stock friendly trail can identify and plan accordingly. Likewise, those who are hardcore and want nothing less can identify those types of trails and plan accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AZKJ wrote:
durangotang wrote:

Since all the trails are in the Charles A. Wells book and rated easy, moderate and diffuicult... let's just go with that and keep it simple.

I've run every trail in the area except Poughkeepsie and Governor's Basin. A stock height KJ with skids and good tires can do them all, except for the two i just mentioned.

Looks like we posted about the same time........... Thanks for the report. :D Does anyone know the difficulty on Poughkeepsie and Governor's Basin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:49 am 
LOST Addict

dieselenthusiast wrote:
Does anyone know the difficulty on Poughkeepsie and Governor's Basin?

Both are rated difficult and lockers or a winch are recommended.

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This summer will be the 6th time I've been to ouray. The first time I rented a jeep there and I was hooked I new someday I had to get my own jeep. I've driven a stock 4x4 F 150, rented a 97 ford explorer from enterprise, I got some interesting comments on the top of engineer pass with that one. It is one of the most scenic places in the US and my favorite place to go. Last summer I did blackbear for the first time I always read it was to difficult without lockers. Ben (durangatang) told me he had run the trail a few times and it was not as hard as the Wells book said it was. The Trail was not difficult at all and I can't wait to do it again this year. Anybody thats thinking of going this summer should get off the fence and go. You won't be sorry it will be a trip of a lifetime. Good people, jeeps, and great trails, how can you go wrong. Hope to see you all there.
Gary

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:44 pm 
LOST Addict

kskj wrote:
This summer will be the 6th time I've been to ouray. The first time I rented a jeep there and I was hooked I new someday I had to get my own jeep. I've driven a stock 4x4 F 150, rented a 97 ford explorer from enterprise, I got some interesting comments on the top of engineer pass with that one. It is one of the most scenic places in the US and my favorite place to go. Last summer I did blackbear for the first time I always read it was to difficult without lockers. Ben (durangatang) told me he had run the trail a few times and it was not as hard as the Wells book said it was. The Trail was not difficult at all and I can't wait to do it again this year. Anybody thats thinking of going this summer should get off the fence and go. You won't be sorry it will be a trip of a lifetime. Good people, jeeps, and great trails, how can you go wrong. Hope to see you all there.
Gary

It might not be that difficult... but you know you liked the left hand lean over the creek on the steps :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That was a blast!!!! I may have to do it twice this year.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't mind doing a few easy/moderate trails, because the scenery is so awesome, but we need to offer at least a couple of trails with a high pucker value, that require at least a rear locker.

It looks like we'll have plenty of participants to support a couple of trails each day.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts