It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I prepare for the mountains? (LJS 09 Survival Guide)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:32 pm 
LOST Addict

So if you're planning on heading up here (why wouldn't you?) there are a few things to consider:

1. The weather: We will likely be dealing with 80F, 30F, windy, calm, sunny, snowstorms, thick fog, thunderstorms, and cycles of all of the above in the space of an hour. Bring plenty of layers and some waterproof goodies. Good boots are a must! You will likely be using your AC and heater in the same day! Trust me when I also say that you need some serious sunblock at this altitude.

2. The Altitude: Your Libby will likely be venturing to new heights at almost 14,000 feet. You are going to want fresh brake pads (and possibly rotors) up here as your brakes will overheat very quickly in the thin air. Bring plenty of extra fluids as well. Endless climbing in the thin air is hard on transmissions, differentials, and engines.... come with fresh fluids and make sure you don't overheat!!! A transmission temp gauge is never a bad idea.

3. The Terrain: You will be spending most of your time there driving on sharp rocks. Flats are common so make sure you have a good spare and everything necessary to fix it! Street tires aren't recommended. What starts as an easy trails can turn into a washed out mess in a matter of minutes in a big storm. Off-road tires should be considered mandatory for Black Bear Pass. Skids are the one piece of armor that is MANDATORY!!! These rocks are sharp and will seek out anything expensive. Sliders are recommended.

4. The Water: Water crossings are mandatory on most trails. This will be anything from a gentle 6" stream to some 3-4 foot deep holes. Be sure to extend your breathers! Mud isn't really something you will run into much of other than a couple of holes in Yankee Boy Basin.

More to come... if you have any specific questions post 'em up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good post Durangotang. As a lowlander i did not know that high altitude could affect fluids that way.

Conquests: Poughkeepsie Gulch, Governor's Basin, Black Bear/Imogene/Engineer/Cinnamon pass, Coal Creek OHV, Badlands OHV, S.M.O.R.R., K-Rocks, Parent's driveway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:34 pm 
LOST Addict

if you do a good pre-trip before leaving home making sure your tires and brakes are good, your fluids are topped off and regular maintenance schedules have been followed, you won't have a problem...

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When I was in Colorado a few months ago we took a high-altitude road trip, and our hosts (who have been in Colorado for a few decades) handed out Tums to fight altitude sickness. I don't know whether it did any good, but I did find this page that recommends it for nausea:

http://www.hikingintherockies.com/other/altitude.htm

I don't know if the Tums idea works (I'm always taking Tums for acid reflux, anyway), but I'm pretty sure that drinking a lot of water (1 liter for every 2 hours of activity) is always a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:43 am 
LOST Addict

You forgot to mention a jar of peanut butter; didn't you tell us all that it was the ultimate survival food? Will you be bringing your shovel in case things get hairy up there?

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:52 am 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:
I'm doing some preliminary planning now, and was wondering what the mountain folk suggest for us lowlanders to bring as far as additional fluids and such for the jeep? I'll probably be doing new front brakes/rotors before the trip, new rear brakes were done last fall, and I'll be renewing most of the fluids ahead of time... but was wondering what else specifically to bring along?

Should be fine with the usuals... oil, ATF, and coolant. You should already have enough water and whatnot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:58 am 
LOST Addict

JL Rockies wrote:
You forgot to mention a jar of peanut butter; didn't you tell us all that it was the ultimate survival food? Will you be bringing your shovel in case things get hairy up there?

For the sake of space... I might just bring a shovel full of peanut butter.

I'm still waiting for you to be the first to discover an uncruastable-based fuel source for the CRD's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:28 am 
LOST Addict

What about my Jeep? What will I need?

Here's a list of things to look over and suggestions of what to have when you show up...

-spare fluids
-spare tire
-skids/armor (not required but recommended)
-CB (very very helpful and you can get one cheeeeeeeeap)
-lights in good working order
-tires inspected and in good shape
-jack is in good working order
-inspect brakes and replace if necessary
-no leaks?
-recovery strap (not snatch strap)
-extend breathers (highly recommended)
-at least AT tires will make life easier
-RECOVERY POINTS!!!!
-GPS or pick up some local maps (trail book works)

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff... I might add to the list so keep checking. Most importantly though, show up and have an awesome time in one of the coolest places you'll ever go :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Well that's up to you... most of the deep water crossings have either a bypass, bridge, or shallow spot.... up to you

no telling how deep some of the water is going to be :D