It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:49 am 
LOST Addict

moose wrote:
21 and 39 have no by-pass hazzards. you MUST have skids for these two. You should have rock rails & a lift.

The local Jeep group just got back from Windrock a few weeks ago and they all did 39. I'm going to meet up with them and get my maps back and talk about 39. I really want to find 3 others to hit this trail with me now that we know it can be done by similarly equipped vehicles...

I am mounting up the winch this weekend... :wink:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject: Re: Interested, but not sure
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ 119 wrote:
dgeist wrote:
So, a couple questions for the group:

I have lots of experience in the woods, but very little of it mechanized (i.e. wheeling newbie).
-------%<---------<snip>
- Is it too late to register?

Dan

Ok Dan,that's too many questions to be "Interested, but not sure".
You're interrested,so sign up and come pass a good time.It'd be great to have you on board.
You do have skids right? :shock:

The only question I left above was the important one, and now that I know the answer, I need to go update the attending thread. Looking forward and trail gods willing, the only rock rash will be on the (presently unscathed) skids. Now, it's just a matter of when I'll be able to get off work...

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

Post subject: My to-do list:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm waiting on the CB/antenna/mount to arrive from Walcott, stopping by the auto parts store to pick up a warn receiver shackle so I'll have something in the back, and to be honest, the lack of armor thing is freaking me out. I'm shipping the skids I got in August back to Skid Row today as they simply don't fit. No-one that has them on a CRD has mounted them without drilling and cutting and I'll be damed if I'm going to spend that much money on something that doesn't fit right (especially when they advertise that it does).

I will likely have to go with only a factory engine skid. Honest opinion, folks: If you didn't have transmission and xfer skids, would you even attempt the trail runs? I want to go and have a good time, but if I take my KJ out of commission with damage to the driveline, I'll be seriously F-ed.

Dan

P.S. If I end up driving up Friday morning/afternoon, is there any way to get a hold of folks already out on the trails (i.e. well-known CB channel or something)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, you can wheel your Jeep without skids. Just be a little more cautious and always ask for a spotter when in doubt.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't plan on getting in till 10ish Friday.

Are the tent areas just big open spaces to throw the where you want?

06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:39 am 
LOST Addict

Coming in at 10ish, they might still be up to tell you where to set up, if not I don't think they'd have a problem with you setting up pretty much anywhere. YC and I will be getting in 2-3 AM Friday morning and they told us to just set up anywhere and that they'll take care of stuff in the morning.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When you get to Oliver Springs, remember that the trail runs start at 9am and 1pm (1pm is a little sloppy in case we are late getting in from the AM run...)

If you don't have time, come to the trail head first; otherwise, go check in at the CG or motel and get settled. The CG should know where the "LOST Jeep Club" is set up (back left corner if we can again!). Find a spot and pitch a tent (so to speak). We should have a fire circle in the middle of the area. I will buy firewood, but I'd like to pass the hat on the cost of that.

As for skids and what runs we should do... The guide on this site was just a guide. We could end up on 39 Friday morning. It just depends on who is there and how much challenge we want each day...

Also, let's set 29 as the default channel and 31 as a backup if there is too much chatter on 29 (prime numbers, just for FullTimer)

2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ihatemybike wrote:
Coming in at 10ish, they might still be up to tell you where to set up, if not I don't think they'd have a problem with you setting up pretty much anywhere. YC and I will be getting in 2-3 AM Friday morning and they told us to just set up anywhere and that they'll take care of stuff in the morning.

I hope to be there around 9pm Thursday night. Look for the Jeep (muddy wrangler, clean doors and top :lol: ) I will try to get the same spot as last year

2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 am 
The force is strong with this one
The force is strong with this one

For those of us staying at a hotel, whats the best way for all of us to meet up with you guys friday?

Extra Rear Spring Isolators
Custom Bull Guard (w/ hooks)
Wranger MT/R w/ Kevlar 265/75/R16
(for serious enthusiasts)

Post subject: Local Weather
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hmm, I may get a Motel room after all:

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/ ... undeclared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:11 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

i swore when I missed last years tht I would make this one for sure. Not to be so have fun kids and take lots of pictures, even of the camping/BSing. :D :cry:

Post subject: Re: Local Weather
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:27 pm 
LOST Addict

dgeist wrote:

Nope, not gonna happen -- I've already been talking to the Rain Gods and TOLD them that they needed to lay-off this weekend in Eastern Tennessee... :lol:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
dgeist wrote:

Nope, not gonna happen -- I've already been talking to the Rain Gods and TOLD them that they needed to lay-off this weekend in Eastern Tennessee... :lol:

What side of the ridge is Coal Creek on? Perhaps we'll get lucky and just see a bunch of fog like in the smokeys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:12 pm 
LOST Addict

dgeist wrote:
What side of the ridge is Coal Creek on? Perhaps we'll get lucky and just see a bunch of fog like in the smokeys.

It is on the Western/Mississippi-side of the Eastern Continental Divide (you Rockies folks deal with it, that IS what it is called!!! LOL), so it is not a sheltered from weather coming out of the Plains as the stuff on the Eastern/Atlantic-side of the Divide.

yellocoyote wrote:
Maybe that's the trade-off... they're sending snow up my way for the weekend. Shocked Too bad I won't be here to enjoy it. Razz

Maybe. You know my feeling about your snow. You can keep your snow. :wink:

In any case, I have contacted the appropriate "Higher Authorities" and told them what we needs to have happen. :wink: :lol: :D

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
dgeist wrote:

It is on the Western/Mississippi-side of the Eastern Continental Divide (you Rockies folks deal with it, that IS what it is called!!! LOL), so it is not a sheltered from weather coming out of the Plains as the stuff on the Eastern/Atlantic-side of the Divide.

Err, yeah, I know it's east of the mississippi :P I meant the southern extension of the Appalachians to the west of the Great Smokeys. It looks to be just to the east of a pretty sizeable ridge and mostly on the knoxville plateau, so could be some interesting weather. I'm definitely wearing my waterproof boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Talked to Missy at the campground earlier today, and she said that they are having phone issues so if you do not get a phone call back that is why.

She said that there is plenty of room for everyone and that we are going to be set up in the back left corner. Just show up and we can settle when there, so if you did not make reservations don't let itt stop you from coming out.

Do they take credit or should we bring cash?

06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm 
LOST Addict

dgeist wrote:
Cobolt-60 wrote:

Err, yeah, I know it's east of the mississippi :P I meant the southern extension of the Appalachians to the west of the Great Smokeys. It looks to be just to the east of a pretty sizeable ridge and mostly on the knoxville plateau, so could be some interesting weather. I'm definitely wearing my waterproof boots.

Dan, I figured you were that bright, but that wasn't what I was saying. :wink:

What I was saying was that because it was West of the Divide, the water is mostly flowing towards the Mississippi and not the Atlantic like the Eastern side of the Appalachian range. There are TVA Wind Mills there, so there should be some quantity of regular wind for a part of the year or it just would not be cost effective (and there is no guarantee that it actually is... LOL).

Heck, I'd wear good waterproof boots up there even if it wasn't wet weather. There are some water crossings and waterfalls, and muddy areas. It should be a romping good time!!!!!

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

Post subject: wifi?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anyone know if the campground has wifi? It's a totally non-camping thing to do, but I'd like to upload pics from the camera if possible.

Dan

Post subject: Re: wifi?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dgeist wrote:
Anyone know if the campground has wifi? It's a totally non-camping thing to do, but I'd like to upload pics from the camera if possible.

Dan

find the panera in oak ridge...