It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Snow Run
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:07 am 
LOST Junkie

I've taken my Liberty into the woods a few times on trails that any sane person wouldn't dare. I've got the pinstriping & dents to prove it :D

But I've never thought of taking my Libby onto the trails in the winter simply because #1 the snow is often too deep, the Libby doesn't have the clearance and would bottom out, #2 a Libby is as heavy as a Cherokee and would sink into the snow, #3 I felt my 245/70R16 AT tires were too narrow for snow, #4 most importantly after December 15th you aren't allowed to be on the snowmobile trails.

On December 6th, the day ofter the NBJC X-Mas party a group of us decided to go on a run to visit the Kent County Wind Farm outside of Moncton, NB. The morning of the run there was a pretty strong snowstorm . On my way to Riverview to meet everybody else I fully expected that not many people would show up because of the foul weather & the hangovers But there they were, nineteen other Jeeps and a Toyota pickup all ready to wheel. The Jeeps were a mix of CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, ZJ's, XJ's and a single KJ.

The drive through the woods was made more challenging & beautiful with the fresh snowfall. As far as I know nobody even me needed a tug or a winch. Sure there were a few spots where I got myself in trouble but with some perseverance I managed to get unstuck. Typically when you wheel in the snow you air down really low but it's been my experience with my Libby that I lose valuable ground clearance so I never air down. We had a BBQ meal on the trail (yum, tube steaks) and managed to see the wind turbines close up. Boy they are massive and noisy. Can't wait to get back on the trails again. There is talk of a New Year's Day run.

At one point on the trail we encountered not one but three trees across the trail. Nobody had a chainsaw and they were too big to simply winch out of the way. Instead somebody got the clever idea of cutting a "drivearound" through the forest.

Here are my pics of the day;

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject: Re: First Snow Run
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

That's the Petro up the street from my house LMAO. I'm pretty sure the Toyota that was there was one of my gf buddies from work. He was telling me about seeing a Liberty out at Kent Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like everyone had a great time and beautiful pictures, Thank you for sharing. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:54 am 
LOST Addict

Really nice snow run pics. Looks like fun too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:12 am 
LOST Newbie

LibertyFever ... Geez how did I miss that ...OH YEA ... I had to plow it .. :( ... been there a few times in the summer .. quite a thing to be close to (windmills) .I'm going to have to get out with the NB jeep club this year i can see :JEEPIN: ... Oh the TJ with the canadian flag on the whip is my neighbour ... FYI

front tow points
more to come .....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:37 am 
LOST Junkie

05liberty wrote:
LibertyFever ... Geez how did I miss that ...OH YEA ... I had to plow it .. :( ... been there a few times in the summer .. quite a thing to be close to (windmills) .I'm going to have to get out with the NB jeep club this year i can see :JEEPIN: ... Oh the TJ with the canadian flag on the whip is my neighbour ... FYI

The TJ Sport with the flag is you neighbor Eh? Then come join us on a run sometime. I've never been able to share the trail with another Liberty before. I only know of two other lifted Liberty's in the NBJC. Y'know the club sometimes has stock trail runs that you can manage with a stock Liberty.

Typically I wheel with my YJ Jeep however because it's not yet safety inspected and the fact that I've put all the effort to making my Liberty more trail capable I've actually taken it on some serious trail runs. Also the Liberty is far more comfortable to ride in on the highway to the trail head.

During this snow run to the windmill farm I almost got stuck a couple of times. I foolishly tried to follow some of the other Jeeps through virgin snow and my Liberty just doesn't have the clearance.

I'm looking forward to a deep snow run later this month in my YJ. A typical deep snow run takes four hours to get six kilometers into the woods and fifteen minutes to exit :D

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yea .. I'm stock right now but I want to put a 2" daystar or BDS on it ..(cross my fingers for tax time ) .I would like to go on some runs but since the Libby is my daily driver and I'm not lifted I'm a little chicken :oops: .. but I would be intrested for sure in a run that a stock / lightly modded one could go on .. I'll have to talk to Mike to find out when / where . I'm in the process of installing front tow points ( limited did'nt come with them ) so I hope to have these mods done by April !

My Limited

crooked creek

summer time ... remember that ?

front tow points
more to come .....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

05liberty wrote:

You drive your Libby on the ice :shock:

I don't even drive my 95 YJ on the ice unless I see a lot of full size trucks there first.

I'm so jealous of your Libby. You have a Limited which means you have Fulltime & Part time 4WD plus you have the Renny lightbar.

What type of a lift are you looking for? A spacer lift? If I were you I wouldn't do it. The front struts will fail.

my trail queen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep ... drive it on the ice ...In northern Ontairo ... there is about 3feet of ice under me in that photo .. I dont know if I'd take it on the ice around here though :?
I added the Renny lightbar about 3yrs ago , Its nice to have the light when u want it . I got it from autotrucktoys.com , I think it was $500 or so , got it when the Cdn$ was par to the american
Yep Fulltime & Part time .... I made sure it had that .. Ido lots of travel in the winter ... just put it in fulltime and go!
I was thinking of the spacer lift but was concerned about the struts . What do you have ?

front tow points
more to come .....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

Renegade light bar from Can-Am Chrysler in moncton 345$ brand new

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

RED_KJ_666,
Is that complete with harness ?
I priced it at Moncton Chrysler at $1600.
$345 seems low to me but as with most things the price will drop .. that would be a bonus deal at that price IMO !

front tow points
more to come .....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:05 am 
LOST Junkie

I find that prices vary from dealership to dealership. I bought my Liberty's skid plates from dealerships from Edmundston to Moncton. And don't get me started on eBay deals.

Occassionally you will find great deals for Liberty accessories on eBay however when you include the shipping it costs as much or more than if you ordered it from a Cdn supplier.

Have you considered trolling the wrecking yards? I've found a couple of EVIC/OTIS units there.

my trail queen