It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BALL JOINTS BE WARE!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

well my wife had the liberty in to fairview for oil change and tire rotation... That was Aug 30.. Forward to Sept 4th (Earl) rain and I'm out on a little trail and the upper ball joint lets go... WTF? Don't the dealers check anything any more? Auto Machinery had some MOOG's so I'm fixed up.
So today I take it back and get them to go over it. Driver side upper is bad, so I'm replacing that now- Frankenlifted with only 84000 KM... People check em so your not walking in the next storm!

Post subject: Re: BALL JOINTS BE WARE!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well the problem is that Chrysler put too much angle on the B-Joints anyway and lifting especially with a Franky or OME setup causes an Extreme angle.The dealer probably didn't notice because as I found out on my first set they don't feel loose like you normally find, once you jack it up they become tight because of the Extreme angle. The Moogs won't last much more than a year. This is a VERY VERY well known issue, I have done both upper Arms and have the driver side one loose again and have only been lifted 9 months. I was going to replace them with JBA arms, but am planning a SFA lift so it doesn't make much sense to spend that much money to me. 45$ junkyard joints and the PITA of changing them is worth the sacrifice to me.

Have you had any CV failures? I've had 2 go one completely came apart never found the balls or cage. you can find me on the NB Jeep Club Forum @ www.nbjeeplub.com

Post subject: Re: BALL JOINTS BE WARE!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:09 am 
LOST Newbie

Never had a cv joint fail on its own. Only when the UBJ failed and tire fell outwards, pulled the shaft apart, lost the balls, cage was still there... I've been lifted now for almost 2 years. I'm on the NB Jeep club site to "new92xj"