It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I took my travel trailer out for a run
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

My 1991 travel trailer has been in my back yard(s) since 1994. Up until four years ago I never had something to pull it, that's why I bought the Liberty.

Well it's taken me four years to get around to getting it back on the road.

Of course I had to repack the wheel bearings with fresh grease and clean & inspect the brakes plus replace a few pieces of the trailer (plastic doesn't age well over nineteen years :lol: ).

I don't plan to travel the highways with my trailer because it's just my son & I and the trailer weighs in at 4,000 lbs empty and the Libby is rated for 5,000 lbs. I plan to use it as a "cottage" in Bathurst because that's where most of my Jeepin budies are and the trails that I like to run.

Surprisingly my Libby didn't overheat on the one hour drive to Bathurst last weekend. It pretty much pulled like my 16' floater trailer when I have it loaded with my YJ.

Y'know maybe I should get a proper tow rig, maybe a used Jeep commander with a V8 Hemi :mrgreen:

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject: Re: I took my travel trailer out for a run
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:17 am 
LOST Junkie

nice! thats what i plan on getting as well. i wanna trail up my friends TJ to PA, I'm in NY. you think the KJ's and KK's are rated the same in towing. i have Class III Uhaul tow hitch i think it said 5,000 - 7,000 not sure though. but i wanna trail so baddd. i guess i gotta buy a trailer to trail it first :ROTFL: :banghead: :juggle: :dizzy:

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

DoubleK wrote:
nice! thats what i plan on getting as well. i wanna trail up my friends TJ to PA, I'm in NY. you think the KJ's and KK's are rated the same in towing. i have Class III Uhaul tow hitch i think it said 5,000 - 7,000 not sure though. but i wanna trail so baddd. i guess i gotta buy a trailer to trail it first :ROTFL: :banghead: :juggle: :dizzy:

Okay DoubleK you said your Libby had a Class II hitch but you didn't mention anything else your Libby has? Does it have a transmission cooler? An extra rad cooling fan?

My Libby has the Mopar trailer package which means besides the Class III hitch & 7 pin wiring harness it also has a mechanical clutch rad fan besides the electric rad fan and a tranny cooler. On my 04 Libby the tranny cooler is a separate rad, on the 02 Libby's it's part of the rad.

Don't make the same mistake as me and buy a trailer that weighs in at the Libby's towing limit. Get a lighter one. I can pull 5,000 lbs however it's a strain on the Jeep and long hills are a killer.

If I still had a young family I'd buy a 16' travel trailer. It would be an easier tow.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

i have a class III tow htich and its not OEM. its after market. its doesnt have anything like that. i prolly should look into that right hahahah i gotta tow my friends TJ to Rausch i once towed a muontaiineer backwads through the trails. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53434&start=240 pg 13 youll see my story. my tranny overheated so now i know i dont ahve the right tow package. i guess thats my next investment :2cents:

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

scratch that, i do have the tow package :P