It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Playing in the Snow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:45 am 
LOST Junkie

Every winter I take the advantage of an empty snow covered parking lot to practice my driving skills. To most this would appear to be the actions of a teenager with his parents Jeep out for fun but I'm serious.

I test the control of my Jeep well clear of any other vehicles, lamp poles or curbs. I test the operation of the ABS, ESP, 4WD modes and the ability of the tires. My 2004 Liberty is easy to learn since it doesn't have all those fancy automated controls, no ABS or ESP. Still every winter I need to learn how to brake without putting myself in the ditch. My 2010 Patriot North Edition is another story. I'm still learning whether or not to leave the ESP on or off or if I should drive with the 4WD "locked in".

One important lesson I learned yesterday is not to "drift" a Liberty with a utility trailer behind it :shock: , it really swung about. Lucky I didn't "jack knife" it.

Does everybody do this or am I alone?

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject: Re: Playing in the Snow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Its always a good idea to test out you're rig and see what it can and shouldn't do, especially in an area where it won't jeapordize the safety of others, however, you might wanna lose the trailer ( unless of coarse its a snowmobile trailer and your just getting a feel for pulling it in the snow and how it all feels when hard braking ) but either way doing drifts with anything hooked up is a bad idea.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like fun to me! I took all my kids when they got there drivers license to a big snowy parking lot so they would know(and practice) what to do if they got into a slide on the road. Besides the leaning experience It was a lot of fun.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

I learned I can drive it sideways really well lol. I also do this every Year. Especially this year still getting the X-Terrains dialed in. 12lbs seems to be the winner. I also got mine sideways last year hauling my 10 ft Utility trailer, I got lucky and the trailer hooked the snow bank which hauled me back straight.